cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585 & Speedtouch 716

grovep
Dabbler

TG585 & Speedtouch 716

Hi I am trying to get the voip running on my 716 with my 585 acting as the ADSL router. Has anyone done this successfully? I can't get the voip to register yet on plusnet voip
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: TG585 & Speedtouch 716

Puddy's  Settings for the 716 are here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,78384.msg634535.html#msg634535
How are you connecting the 716 to the 585 ?
Is there a reason why you don't just use the 716 as the ADSL router ?
grovep
Dabbler

Just to be a little clearer. I am using the TG585 because I get a better connection speed compared to the Speedtouch.
I can get the speedtouch working as a switch ie on the same subnet, different IPs etc so if I connect a PCto the Speedtouch  I can see the rest of the network and get internet.  However the problem I have is getting the voip to run.  I have previously connected to plus net voip through this router when it was in ADSl mode but seem to be struggling somewhat.  I have a ethernet cable between routers ie on the Lan side.  I have tried configuring it as a cable modem using eth4 as the wan side (Thanks to setting file from Digidave) but have had no success - not that I really know what i am doing.  I already have a Siemens Gigaset voip phone connected to the TG585 but would like to get this voip router working also.
Hope that clarifies the situation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

I can get the speedtouch working as a switch ie on the same subnet, different IPs etc so if I connect a PCto the Speedtouch  I can see the rest of the network and get internet.  However the problem I have is getting the voip to run.

I suspect the inbuilt voip ports will only communicate via the ADSL(WAN) port which probably explains why they don't work in this mode.
I have tried configuring it as a cable modem using eth4 as the wan side (Thanks to setting file from Digidave) but have had no success - not that I really know what i am doing.

In this mode the voip ports MIGHT try and communicate via eth4(WAN).
But you're now going to have problems via the fact that both routers are doing NAT and that's going to give problems for voip.
It's not going to be easy to get the voip ports working in your config but my guess would be that the swtich configuration is probably the best start and then you need to investigate the speedtouch CLI to see if there are any options to route the voip ports to the LAN.
Does this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,78679.0.html/ help at all ?
wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: MisterW
Does this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,78679.0.html/ help at all ?

For the use of others who find this thread.
This is possible using a configuration file  SW_EXP_voiceata_7xx.tpl that comes on the retail CD with the 7XX series. It can be found on the net, but not from Thompson.
As MisterW identifies, the VOIP ATA communicates via eth4 as its link to the WAN. The problem I discovered is that in order for the ATA to get an IP address, the DHCP server in the 716 has to be enabled. So the other three LAN ports are effectively on on "sub" LAN that is NATed back to the main LAN The two DHCP servers don't interfere, presumably because the DHCP requests don't pass through the 716's firewall.
I run this configuration with the main LAN on 10.XXX.XXX.XXX and the 716 on 192.XXX.XXX.XXX
JIm:green quote fixed mod:end
puddy
Grafter

Hi
Sorry I have not answered before today
I agree with MisterW theirs no point in doing this really. The speedtest at Plusnet is broken I got a speedtest at 33mg so the results are useless
Kind regards
Michael