Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support Calls Using Voip

wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Support Calls Using Voip

I called Plusnet support today three times using my Plusnet VOIP line. Now I feel really [Censored] off.
I appear to be being billed 7.5p/minute(inc VAT)  to hang on to Plusnet's customer service line using their VOIP service to do so. Use my BT landline and the call is free!!! The billing record for this morning's efforts to contact supports amount to £1.57 (inc VAT)
08451400200,0:00:42,42,0.045
08451400200,0:04:19,259,0.276
08451400200,0:15:52,952,1.013
Is this correct? If I call from a Plusnet landline calls to support are free. If I use my BT landline calls to 0845 are included. If I have a Plusnet business VOIP line calls cost 1p/minute(+ VAT). I would have accepted (just) that calls to Plusnet support would count against the free minutes on the account, but to be charged premium rates (and I regard 7.5p/minute as a premium rate) is just obscene.
At the very least they should make a VOIP number (free VOIP to VOIP calls) available to customers for support purposes.
8 REPLIES
petermaughan
Grafter

Re: Support Calls Using Voip

Hi,
Are the geographical suport numbers not working?  They are listed at:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108.0.html
Peter
Community Veteran

Unfortunately Broadband Phone calls to 0845 (and 0870) numbers are not free as they are on the Home Phone (PSTN) service. This was challenged some time ago but PlusNet stated that they did not intend to change it  Sad
Bob
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: wisty
I called Plusnet support today three times using my Plusnet VOIP line.
I appear to be being billed 7.5p/minute(inc VAT)  to hang on to Plusnet's customer service line using their VOIP service to do so. Use my BT landline and the call is free!!!  premium rates (and I regard 7.5p/minute as a premium rate) is just obscene

I don’t get why you are so upset
BT give you  0845 0870 calls are free for one big reason they can afford too.
Can you remind me how much Plusnet VOIP line rental is per month?
Well its free
BT charge line rental so can offer more free services
Now you can see why Plusnet charge for 0870 0845 calls
In addition most other voip compaines charge £2 a month line rental, those that are free give out 0845 or 0870 so anybody calling you would be charged 7p unlike plusnet who give you a choice of 01 020 BT numbers which can be free if your caller gets a free call allowance
My last point use voip to make it work for you like I have
Free voip 2 voip calls
I have a friend who live in Spain he calls me voip 2 voip and the call free
He call his parents voip 2 BT for under 2p per min
Puddy
To make voip calls from abroad back to the UK you need a unprotected wireless internet signal or free hotspot area
And a nokia E65 N82 n95 N95-8GB N97 N97-mini or N900 phone

wisty
Aspiring Pro

Puddy - why was I upset? Its a customer service issue not a money issue.
The reason 0845 numbers cost so much is the fee paid to the recipient of the call (in this case Plusnet). I was aware that Plusnet charge for 0845 calls  - but not calls on their home phone lines to their own support line because they were the recipients of the 0845 fee. I presumed (wrongly) that a support call on a VOIP line would be considered in the same light.
I have an ongoing (and it's still outstanding after 12 days) VOIP ticket. I can't call a particular Vodaphone number block from my VOIP line. I suspect it is a configuration  error in either Gradwell's number routing database or the database of whoever supplies their link to Vodaphone. It should be simple to find and fix.
I was asked for the problem number by Plusnet support ( reasonable request). The number is the work phone of a medical researcher who is neither a friend of mine nor someone who I have regular contact with. Even after checking with the person concerned, the number was one that I was fairly sensitive about simply handing out willy nilly for support personnel to ring for testing purposes.
I asked the Plusnet support person to give me a number on which I could ring to pass on the number securely and emphasise its sensitivity. Knowing that I have a VOIP service (why else would I have the ticket open) they still gave me the 0845 number to call rather than the equivalent geographic one.
After ringing and giving the number the call centre immediately post the number in an update to the ticket which is presumably open to every call centre and technical support person working for Plusnet here and in South Africa.  That was the point that I discovered that they had given me a number that charged me a significant amount of money to do exactly what I was trying to avoid. So it cost me money to give them the phone number and emphasise its sensitivity - a process which they immediately devalued.
Sensitive handling of the number - adequate customer service - NOT!!!
puddy
Grafter

IMHO
Plusnet voip ticket response has been very badly delayed why?
The Plusnet voip service is free and does not bring pennies in for Plusnet so we tend to put on the back burner re customer service tickets
One guy i helped out took over 2 months and 30 pages before i solved the problem myself.
The telephone staff at Plusnet have no clear understanding on how the voip system works- also staff  bounce tickets between themselves or only read part of the ticket and always blame the end user.
staff leaving and new staff coming in only adds to the problem, it would be nice if we could have a permanent member of staff who reads our posting here every day
try and get hold of bob pullen to see if he can help
Going back to your Vodafone problem i am sure contacting them on your mobile phone or landline works out much cheaper than voip.  what do Vodafone have to say?  They do block numbers if they feel the call gets round there security system.  they are one of the strictest mobile phone companies and may feel they won’t get a termination fee to accept the call so block that number

Puddy
wisty
Aspiring Pro

Calling the Vodafone number on the landline is probably a bit cheaper. Calling them on my mobile from home is not an option. Despite living <12 miles from Vodafone HQ, and one of their very senior managers living <150ft away, I can't get a cellular signal from any operator in and around the house. The aforesaid senior manager has what appears to be a directional cellular aerial on his roof pointing at the nearest tower - I suspect he has a legal repeater in the house.
I can call other Vodafone numbers - its just that particular block that seems to be a problem. I was really trying to get it fixed for the sake of having things work the way they should, as I suspect other Gradwell customers must have the same problem - it would be nice to know. If I call any number in the block I get a longish pause (couple of seconds or so - typical timeout) then the fast busy.
I suspect that either Gradwell or whoever provides their trunking to Vodafone has got an incorrect entry in a routing database for that block. The call is being handed off by Gradwell to a cellular carrier (other than Vodafone) who doesn't recognise the number and drops the call.
I don't think the problem is Plusnet support per-se. I suspect the customer supplier relationship between Plusnet & Gradwell has broken down and Gradwell don't see Plusnet residential support calls as important.
Ah well life goes on.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: wisty
Calling the Vodafone number on the landline is probably a bit cheaper. Calling them on my mobile from home is not an option. Despite living <12 miles from Vodafone HQ, and one of their very senior managers living <150ft away, I can't get a cellular signal from any operator in and around the house

Vodafone have invented  a device that plugs in to your router thus giving you vodafone signal at home i think the cost works about £60
Have you heard about it?
Puddy
danger11
Grafter

Insted of using 08451400200 Use 0114 296 5198 The 0845 is there to rip us customers off.