cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedtouch 716WL - Is It Any Good?

Community Veteran

Speedtouch 716WL - Is It Any Good?

Now that I've dipped my toe in to voip land, I'm ready to look at installing some proper hardware. Having done a bit of research. I think the most cost effective solution for me would be to buy a voip router. I've come across the Speedtouch 716WL and can pick one up on eBay for around £20.
My question is does anyone have any experience of this router both for wired/wireless broadband and for voip? As a router it would be replacing my trusty Netgear DG834G which has never given me a moments trouble. It's probably a long shot but does anyone have any experience of using one for on-line gaming with a PS3?
My computer is running XP SP3 if that makes any difference to the replies.
Thanks in anticipation - Bob
75 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Speedtouch 716WL - Is It Any Good?

I have the "wireless" version, as a straight router and voip box it works great. I was using an ST585 and it was very stable but I wanted to use voip so bought this one, (99p +p&p on fleabay). Since connecting it my snr has dropped to 6db from an average of 9db previously, and my sync has increased to 7168 from 6100 ish. The voip works well, I have a dect phone plugged in to one of the ports and can make calls easily, and so far the quality (of the viop call) has been excellent.
If you are happy with your Netgear you could get this one and link the 2 together with the NG providing wireless, and saving yourself about £14 in the process. Digidave provides a hack to use the 716 as a cable voip router, so you are basically using it as an ATA. I.e. you keep your current router plugged into the adsl and plug the 716 into it to provide voip functionality)
As to on-line gaming no idea never do it Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: biker955
If you are happy with your Netgear you could get this one and link the 2 together with the NG providing wireless, and saving yourself about £14 in the process. Digidave provides a hack to use the 716 as a cable voip router, so you are basically using it as an ATA. I.e. you keep your current router plugged into the adsl and plug the 716 into it to provide voip functionality)

Thanks for the quick reply but I'm not sure I follow this bit. What would I need to buy to continue using the Netgear and save the £14 (I'm all for saving money)!
Quote from: biker955
As to on-line gaming no idea never do it Cheesy

Me neither but my sons would shoot me if I messed their PS3 up !!!
Bob
Community Veteran

puddy praises them very highly, and has around 4 million of them, I think Wink
i've not used them myself though.  I'm sure puddy will be along soon to comment though Smiley
B.
James
Grafter

Apparently they're available for 99p from eBay, right Puddy?
Community Veteran

Yes I'd seen that in some of Puddy's postings but I can only find them for £20.98 (inc p&p).
James, I see that PlusNet used to supply them so I assume they must be a reliable router?
Bob
Community Veteran

Quote from: bobboulby
Thanks for the quick reply but I'm not sure I follow this bit. What would I need to buy to continue using the Netgear and save the £14 (I'm all for saving money)!

All you would need would be the cable that comes with the 716, and a download from the digidave website.
What happens is this:-
you keep your current setup as is, (I assume you have 1 spare network port in which to plug the 716 into)
You setup the 716 as a voip router, using the above download, and set it with an ip address on your current lan, and plug it in to the NG. Your phone plugs in to the 716 port and you setup the voip bit to your provider, If all works it routes the connection along to the NG and down the adsl line.
There are several on fleabay for 99p, you may have to bid on a few (I did about 4 before I got this one) and check out this link  (http://support.digidave.co.uk/index.php?_a=knowledgebase&_j=questiondetails&_i=174) for details about setting it up as a "cable" connection.
The only thing you may have to do is open the port udp 5060 for the voip traffic on the NG.
Community Veteran

Yes I'd seen that in some of Puddy's postings but I can only find them for £20.98 (inc p&p).

Check out item  110361924543
Current till 11-Mar-09 18:52:00 GMT
99p + 5.99p&p
Community Veteran

Hmm, this seems a bit complicated for a simple chap like me. I also prefer the the idea of a one box solution so a router replacement would give me that.
Item 110361924543 is not wireless (which I would need). Are all the 99p ones wired routers then?
Bob
Community Veteran

Are all the 99p ones wired routers then?

Yes, the cheapest wireless is about £20 as you found.
I sounds more complicated than it is, but you pays your money etc  Wink
Community Veteran

last year I got two wireless Speedtouch 716 v5 WL from ebay for about £10.00 each delivered. They were ex Virgin Net, I plugged them in put the password and username in and they worked perfectly.
Both came in original packing with all the filters, cables, fitting kits et al.
The voip was easy to set up and worked fine with no problems.
puddy
Grafter

Digidave has had a price increase since xmas but the £14 ones comes with a 1 year warranty.
I have installed about 10 of these now  I have never had a problem with mine, and have had about 3 years now.
I got mine for VoIP calls and it works treat.  as for security the router supports wpa/wpa2 and the id and security code is on label on the underside so no having to think of your own codes and its unique to the router
Puddy
Community Veteran

Thanks for everyone's help.
I've now bought one of these from Digidave and will report back once I've got it up and running.
One further question though. My 'phone has a standard telephone plug. Do I need to get an adapter to plug it in to the router or is one supplied?
Thanks again - Bob
Community Veteran

You need an adapter, I used the one I got with my homehub.
Community Veteran

I set-up my new router last night but not the VOIP side (I bought the wrong adapter for my 'phone) !
The set-up was not without issue however. It appears that the Speedtouch power supply is interfering with my Netgear HX101 Powerline network, reducing the speed to <5Mbps! and I've still to find a permanent solution to this.
I also noticed that the default installation leaves the Speedtouch firewall disabled. I'm running a software firewall (ZoneAlarm) so is it ok to leave it like this?
Thanks - Bob