cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SoftPhone for Windows 7

realsense

SoftPhone for Windows 7

Hello All,
I have been using PlusNet VOIP for about 18 months using SJPhone on Windows XP.
I now have a new computer with Windows 7 (Professional). 
I have installed SJPhone but the connection is incredibly bad - I get big drop outs and both ends get that "matrix" sound where the sound buffer plays a 1/10second loop over and over until connection reestablishes.
When I use Live messenger to make MSN calls - no such drop outs which suggest it might not be my internet connection (unchanged from XP) or soundcard/hardware.
Just tried installing Voxox after looking through http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_VoIP_software but it appears not to allow me to configure my Gradwell / sip.plus.net settings.
As such, my question is:
Can anyone recommend a SoftPhone for Windows 7?
Thanks. Smiley
10 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: SoftPhone for Windows 7

Apparently this works well with windows 7 http://www.3cx.com/VOIP/softphone.html
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Hi,
I seem to recall there have been probelms with SjPhone and Vista so I'm not surprised that it has problems with Win 7. I've had good results with X-Lite on most windows platforms ( although I do tend to use Linux at home ) but have not tried it on Win 7. Its certainly fairly easy to configure to PlusNet voip.
Looking at the counterpath website http://counterpath.com/x-lite.html&active=4 it they claim X-Lite Beta 4 is compatible with Win 7 so I'd give that a try. Download from here http://www.counterpath.com/x-lite-download.html.
Someone on another thread a while ago was using 3cx on Vista I think , so that may be ok with Windows 7 as well.
Edit: Ah , I see Adie beat me to it on that one.
realsense

Thank you adiewoo and MisterW.
I have opted to try CounterPath X-Lite Beta 4 and the short of it is I have got it working.
I didn't need to apply the "X-Lite Fix" as the recipient (my mobile!) could hear the the outgoing voice from X-Lite.
I did however have problems hearing the incoming audio on X-Lite but it was because I didn't use the stun server settings (doh!)
The interface has changed a bit since the original screenshots so it might be worth creating a new version of these instructions:
http://www.plus.net/support/phone/broadband_phone/setup/xlite_pc.shtml
(including removing the yellow warning box if it is no longer applicable)
Thanks for your help!
Chris
Community Veteran

I did however have problems hearing the incoming audio on X-Lite but it was because I didn't use the stun server settings (doh!)

I think that might be because those instructions are a bit out of date.
You need natproxy.plus.net:5082 in the outbound proxy field. You should then find that you dont need to use STUN.
realsense

oh!  I've just tried changing sip.plus.net to natproxy.plus.net:5082 as you suggest (and switch off the STUN server option) but X-Lite came back with "Account: PlusNet could not be enabled.  problem at server (SIP error 503)"
So I think I'll stick with the STUN server method.
Thanks anyway! :-)
adie:quote
Community Veteran

oh!  I've just tried changing sip.plus.net to natproxy.plus.net:5082 as you suggest (and switch off the STUN server option) but X-Lite came back with "Account: PlusNet could not be enabled.  problem at server (SIP error 503)"

Odd that...
You did just change the outbound proxy and not the domain as well ?
Still, if STUN works for you then fine, as they say 'if it works, dont mess with it'! Smiley

realsense

Quote from: MisterW
Odd that...
You did just change the outbound proxy and not the domain as well ?
Still, if STUN works for you then fine, as they say 'if it works, dont mess with it'! Smiley

Yes, "Send outbound via" was set to Proxy, not Domain
And the Proxy Address I set to natproxy.plus.net:5082
To switch off STUN server, I changed STUN server from "Use this server: stun.xten.net" to "Discover server" (there isn't an on/off checkbox for this).
Community Veteran

Very odd, those settings are exactly the same as mine  Huh
petermaughan
Grafter

Hello all,
I've been following this thread because I too wanted a SoftPhone for Windows 7.
I have taken a liking to Zoiper Communicator as a free download from www.zoiper.com. ; There is also a paid-for version, which is probably a good sign as an income stream ensures continued support and development.  Zoiper installed easily under Windows 7 ( I selected advanced options to put in the nat proxy) and the sound quality seems quite good.
I did try 3cx, mentioned in this thread.  It installed easily under Windows 7 but I wasn't so happy about the sound quality transmitted, as heard on the receiving end. 
I also tried SJPhone under Windows 7 but couldn't hear the incoming voice, so I think there may be still some issues with this one.
Peter
Mark5
Dabbler

I, too, have started using Zoiper on Windows 7. Was getting loss of sound on SJPhone and have used X-Lite before and found it a bit bloated for me.
So far, Zoiper has a nice clean interface and requires no registration with their website and seems to work first time, every time.
Screenshots below of the settings that work for me.