cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

valart
Grafter

I just wondered if anyone as used Skype my sister is in Goa at the moment and she as downloaded it and she wants me to be connected is  it easy to install and can it do any harm to my laptop.
5 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: Skype

I use skype, very easy to install and get up and running and shouldn't do any harm to you computer.
Will Moderate For Thanks
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The only issue I've found with Skype is that it tends to not close the port it uses when quiting. An incorrectly configured UPnP protocol I suspect is the fault and is cross-platform.
Resetting the UPnP on the router seems to be the only way to remove the open port (at least that's what I see with our Netgear DG834Gv4).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Hi RPM, can you tell me how you are either seeing or testing that the port is open? TIA.
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Well I'm seeing it in the UPnP section of the Netgear web interface. Which leads me to believe the port is still open on the router. As to the device's port, well it's probably been closed so it's only a minimal security risk (assuming there is an active firewall on said device).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

The only issue I've found with Skype is that it tends to not close the port it uses when quiting.

I've seen similar when I used to use Skype on Linux. I used to use a 2700HGV router ( aka BT Business Hub ) and the general consensus was that they didn't support uPnP. I noticed that when using Skype on my Linux desktop, the 2700 firewall showed a pinhole had been opened by Skype and even after shutting down Skype it was still there. Nothing else, including Skype on Windows,  seemed capable of opening ports but it did lead me to investigate further with some uPnP tools and discovered that the 2700 firmware vn 5.29.117.6 ( but no others! ) did support uPnP in some fashion.