cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skype - Whats this all about.

hermit
Dabbler

Skype - Whats this all about.

I really must be living in the dark ages. My fiends in Australia and the UK keep telling me to get onto Skype for free calls anywhere/anytime. Whats the catch and other than down loading their software where would the best place to buy a suitable phone/webcam. I assume that this is not going to replace my BT anytime free calls which do cost quite a bit in rent for the limited time I use the service. Any advice please. H
5 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: Skype - Whats this all about.

Skype is free for skype to skype calls, other calls you have to buy a package or add credit like other phone providers.
It runs over p2p so could zap your bandwidth pretty quickly.
Netgear do a skype phone and there are plenty of usb compatible ones out there, but as I don't use skype I can't recommend any.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Quote from: adiewoo
It runs over p2p so could zap your bandwidth pretty quickly.

150 - 200 MB per hour seems to be typical - doesn't seem too bad to me.
For audio I get good results with a standard 2.1 system on the sound card's line out, and one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-980186-0914-USB-Desktop-Microphone/dp/B0000ATCOR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8... microphones.
Not young enough to know everything
scootie
Grafter

i use my turtle beach gaming headpones and mic, can be awful connection to places like usa esp if like one of my relatives they have to use satilete broadband due to there loaction and the delay to them is stupid a gd 4-6 seconds
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:Skype - Whats this all about.

Like the others I tend to use a headphone and mic - there's a mic on my webcam but that can get snarled up with feedback from the speakers, so a headphone and mic is preferable for less interference. You can pick up a cheap set for less than a fiver in most large supermarkets.