cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skype International Calls from PC

Leoheart

Skype International Calls from PC

Hi
I dont know if this is in the right place or not but please move it if it is not.
My question spans a few things so not sure where to place this.
I have friends/relatives/online gaming friends around the world who I Instant Message through Skype but would like to add video and actually see who I am chatting to.
I have only been using Skype for about a month on my mobile phone and I am getting hammered.  Too many friends...small amount of data allowance.
I have connected the mobile up to my plusnet router wirelessly but holding a phone for ages wears out my little old arm LOL
I have a fast computer wired to the router sat in the corner and that got me thinking

So...
Heres my questions
Will Skype to Skype accounts for international calls down the wired broadband be expensive to do for video calls?
I am on Plusnet Extra Fibre 250 with 250 gigs of allowance but was wondering if the video calls were in or outside the allowance and I would get charged loads for it. ?
My friends at work said for free international skype to skype calls to connect my phone up to my wifi at home and do it like that. for free calls but checking my mobile phone my data allowance has been eaten up incredibly quickly in a few days.
Can I buy a PCI wireless card, install it in my desktop computer,  headphones webcam etc and when I want to do a video call...disconnect from wired and connect through the wireless card ?
Is this the best and most economical way of doing it for international calls?
Are there any drawbacks?
Is there a difference between doing video calls through wired and wifi on a desktop PC
Which is the best most economical...way you would do this
Remember I am calling countries overseas.
If I have to go up to the nect package which is unlimited I will if it is going to eat into my data.
Any help or guidance would be much appreciated
Thank you
Ed
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Skype International Calls from PC

Hi Ed
Will Skype to Skype accounts for international calls down the wired broadband be expensive to do for video calls? No
I am on Plusnet Extra Fibre 250 with 250 gigs of allowance but was wondering if the video calls were in or outside the allowance and I would get charged loads for it. ? Inside the allowance.

My friends at work said for free international skype to skype calls to connect my phone up to my wifi at home and do it like that. for free calls but checking my mobile phone my data allowance has been eaten up incredibly quickly in a few days. Your friends are correct, if you use Skype on your device connected to wifi you will not incur data charges from your mobile provider.
Can I buy a PCI wireless card, install it in my desktop computer,  headphones webcam etc and when I want to do a video call...disconnect from wired and connect through the wireless card ?
Is this the best and most economical way of doing it for international calls? Skype video will work wireless or wired to your router
Are there any drawbacks? No
Is there a difference between doing video calls through wired and wifi on a desktop PC No
Which is the best most economical...way you would do this. Use Skype to Skype via your broadbamd connection, wireless or wired, other than your broadband connection there is no cost
Remember I am calling countries overseas.
If I have to go up to the nect package which is unlimited I will if it is going to eat into my data. I have had several broadband options with plusnet, (now on unlimited) Skype worked perfectly on them all
Skype to Skype IM and video will cost you nothing to use via your broadband connection. If you use Skype on your phone, use it via a wifi connection and it will not use your mobile data.
Skype does charge for calls to phones, for online numbers, either by subscription or pay as you go credit purchase, You do not need these to IM or video chat Skype to Skype.
Hope that helps
RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Leoheart

My friends at work said for free international skype to skype calls to connect my phone up to my wifi at home and do it like that. for free calls but checking my mobile phone my data allowance has been eaten up incredibly quickly in a few days.

I'm probably stating the obvious, but if that is the case it looks like you haven't configured something correctly in your mobile phone.  i.e. you seem to be still using your mobiles data allowance instead of your wi-fi.
Leoheart

Thank you very much for the good clear information and the quick reply. 
Much appreciated.
Helped me to get my head around it.  I was scared I think of racking up some international calls or data used international somehow if I didnt connect properly..
Thought it best to ask first.

But on a good note, thanks to the info above, I have successfully used Skype over the weekend just through my wired broadband and got the video going via a web cam with built in mic......
Thanks again
Community Veteran

You're welcome, glad you figured it out