cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simens C475IP disconnects my Broadband - help please!!

cmere
Dabbler

Simens C475IP disconnects my Broadband - help please!!

Hi
As far as I'm aware, I have correctly set up my C475IP but when it's connected to the router, we are constantly loosing the broadband connection.
All rather frustrating and need it up an running asap as it's my new business line number!
Any help and ideas would be really appreciated but please keep them simple as I am no IT expert!!
Thanks for reading.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Simens C475IP disconnects my Broadband - help please!!

How do you know its the C475IP that causes the disconnects?
cmere
Dabbler

Hi
The lines' been tested and investigated, 2 routers have been tried, different splitters and I've kept a check on the connection logs for the last 2 weeks. 
When the phone is plugged in, it's bye bye connection (on and off), when it's disconnected, it's fine!
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Community Veteran

None I'm afraid I have one C475IP myself and my girlfriend has two, and neither of us suffer from disconnects much at all.
All I can think is that you use a packet sniffer to see the traffic too and from the C475IP, but you'd also need a switch (or router) that supports monitoring (i.e. one that sends the traffic that is going to and from the phone to a different device) and a normal consumer router wouldn't do that...
Try googling the problem... when I did I found this http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,84964.0.html/
cmere
Dabbler

Thanks!
Have read the post from link but seems to stop before it's properly answered!
Will keep trying.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

hi cmere,
Like fourforudevon, I also have a C475 and have not had any problems. Have you tried the C475 connected just to the router ( via ethernet ) i.e NOT connected to the landline ?
Does that cause the ADSL to disconnect ?
cmere
Dabbler

Hi MisterW
Thanks for your reply.
I have unplugged the phone line and the connection does seem better.
However, I need to be able to receive calls without the PC being switched on and it appears I can't if the phone is only connected to the router. Is that right?
Also, do you know if there's a way of setting the answer phone just for the VoIP no? It keeps cutting into the landline answer machine.
Many thanks.
Community Veteran

No, that's not right at all.
A proper VoIP phone is totally independent of the PC.
I'm little concerned by "it appears I can't if the phone is only connected to the router" in what way do you connect it to your PC?
cmere
Dabbler

Mmmmmm thought not!
The phone is connected to my Thompson router by an Ethernet.
Earlier this evening when the PC was off I was able to call out on the phone but couldn't receive calls.
I have since lost broadband connection again this evening, with the phone just connected to the router.
Any other ideas would be gratefully received.
Thanks.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Also, do you know if there's a way of setting the answer phone just for the VoIP no?

Yes, have a look at page 145 of the manual.
Using the Web configurator , On the Settings -> Telephony -> Number Assignment page, in the Answering Machine Area you can specify which lines the Answer machine is active for. If you don't want it to answer the landline ( I thought it was unplugged from that anyway! ) then uncheck the 'fixed line'.
Community Veteran

Quote from: cmere
I have since lost broadband connection again this evening, with the phone just connected to the router.
Any other ideas would be gratefully received.
You need to set your router to always stay connected.
puddy
Grafter

Plusnet were having problems last night. 
I phoned in at 3 am (kept waiting for 10 mins) because the internet and voip were down.  They said everything went pear shaped at 12:30 am was told to turn my router off for a couple of hours.
I re-booted the router at 6am this morning but none of my voip phones were accepting incoming calls.
Gradwell helped me with this problem before you need to unplug all the voip phones wait 60 seconds plug them back in one by one which solved the problem.
If your voip devices lose connection a dont blame your own equipment because plusnet/gradwell may be having problems/ doing maintenance their end in the middle of the night.
I always check my voip devices are working every morning
puddy
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: cmere
As far as I'm aware, I have correctly set up my C475IP but when it's connected to the router, we are constantly loosing the broadband connection.

If your still having problems I think you need to return the phone,  I have a C460ip model and have had no problems like yours.
It looks like you have ruled out all your otheir devices
Let us know how you get on with it
Kind regards
Puddy
dratddestroyer
Grafter

I had a similar problem - the cure was to buy a good quality micro filter.
I use a http://www.adslnation.com/products/xf-1e.php
Just a satisfied customer.