cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Siemens Gigaset C475 IP with plusnet home phone

MarcoAguas

Siemens Gigaset C475 IP with plusnet home phone

Dear forum
I am thinking of buying a Siemens Gigaset C475 IP to work with my plusnet home phone and VoIP.  What I need to do is:
1. Have different ringtones for incoming VoIP and landline calls.
2. Have different answering machine messages for my VoIP and home phone number.
Has anyone got any suggestions how I might be able to achieve this?
All suggestions greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Marco
30 REPLIES
RichSmol
Grafter

Re: Siemens Gigaset C475 IP with plusnet home phone

Sounds to me like you need to setup an Asterisk box or find some very advanced VoIP router.
Theres plenty of info available on how to do this but it does take some focused effort (i'd give it a weekend):
http://www.chayden.net/Asterisk/SeUpAsteriskAtHome.htm
(sorry for the US version of the site but it seems pretty helpful anyway)
If anyone else has some useful links for setting up an Asterisk box then please post them here
albany
Grafter

You could also have a look at 3CX (http://www.3cx.com).  It's a lot easier to set up than asterisk and is free for the numbers of lines you're talking about.
You could also look at something like a Fritzbox (I use one at home) and use that in conjunction with a couple of conventional DECT basestations.  It won't do different ringtones for different lines though.
IF you go 3CX or Asterisk you'll need to convert between SIP and PSTN.  Easily done with appropriate hardware but may end up costing more than the Gigaset depending on how many handsets you need.
Gigaset looks a bit "early adopter" to me.  I recall it's GAP compatible but I think if you add normal DECT handsets you lose most of the nice VOIP functionality.  Aren't the Gigaset handsets about £100 each?  Looks like a v expensive option for now!
Much more fun configuring a nice VOIP PBX over a weekend (or is that just me!!) .
______
EDIT
For those that don't read further down, I eventually took the plunge with a 475IP and it's very good and works reasonably well with non-Siemens GAP compatible handsets.

______
EDIT 2 - December 2009

Sadly the 475IP is now broken after a faulty firmware update.  It regularly crashes and is useless for now - new firmware has been promised for a month and there's no way to roll-back.  See here http://www.mgraves.org/voip/2009/11/gigaset-firmware-update-released/comment-page-2/#comment-3539 and here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75953.64.html
My faith is Siemens has been severely dented again.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: albany
Gigaset looks a bit "early adopter" to me. 

What utter rubbish have you tried this hardware?  This hardware is made by siemens one of the best electronics manufacter in the world.  Its not the cheapo bargin priced binatone rubbish
recall it's GAP compatible but I think if you add normal DECT handsets you lose most of the nice VOIP functionality

Yes it gap but you should really use handsets of the same make and model as the base stations
Aren't the Gigaset handsets about £100 each

No additional handsets cost £40 each and my base station only cost £80.  In addtion the 450ip model allows up to 6 voip accounts and you can make free calls to any other gigaset owners worldwide.  This is one of the first cordless voip phone in the world its easy to use easy to setup
Puddy
albany
Grafter

Hi Puddy,
Seems like a very strong response.  You don't work for Siemens do you?
Haven't tried Siemens stuff recently and I didn't claim to have done.  Have been keeping a periodic eye on their various Gigaset models though because it looks very interesting.
Last time I tried Siemens quality was great and I have no doubt the quality of this will be too. Features in manual look nice but last time I looked (about 6 months ago) pricing was way higher than you've quoted - which is what I meant by "early adopter" i.e. being fleeced for trying out new kit.
At those prices it looks excellent but I will still wait to ensure Siemens sell enough to keep on selling and supporting in the UK
As a bit of history, the last Siemens kit I bought was a nice 2-line DECT base station.  Which cost about three times the cost of a conventional DECT base station at the time.  Almost immediately, UK support dried up and handsets became unavailable other than via personal import from Germany.  Any replacement base station kit became completely unavailable since the German stuff was for ISDN only.  Siemens quite simply didn't sell enough in the UK and pulled the product after only a few months.
Have you been using the Gigaset long - is it reliable and likely to be properly supported in the UK?  For my money, I'd wait and see.
This technology will undoubtedly prevail eventually but I doubt Siemens will dangle it there for long if it costs them money in the UK market.
Since you apparently have experience of the kit, perhaps you can answer the original poster's questions since that's what we're all here for isn't it?.
puddy
Grafter

Seems like a very strong response.  You don't work for Siemens do you?

No I dont work for siemens
Haven't tried Siemens stuff recently and I didn't claim to have done.  Have been keeping a periodic eye on their various Gigaset models though because it looks very interesting.

They are very ease to use you really should try it out I dont know if any other dect/voip are on the market
Last time I tried Siemens quality was great and I have no doubt the quality of this will be too. Features in manual look nice but last time I looked (about 6 months ago) pricing was way higher than you've quoted - which is what I meant by "early adopter" i.e. being fleeced for trying out new kit.

you could say that of all computer equipment prices are falling all the time
Almost immediately, UK support dried up and handsets became unavailable other than via personal import from Germany.  Any replacement base station kit became completely unavailable since the German stuff was for ISDN only.  Siemens quite simply didn't sell enough in the UK and pulled the product after only a few months.

isdn/ how long ago was that? THE 450 and 460 are about the same price as most deskbase equipment my grandstream gxp2000 cost about the same price as the cordless voip we are now protected by EU law for warranty
Have you been using the Gigaset long - is it reliable and likely to be properly supported in the UK?  For my money, I'd wait and see.

Been using it for about 3 months and have never had to go back to siemens for support, its that easy to setup
Since you apparently have experience of the kit, perhaps you can answer the original poster's questions since that's what we're all here for isn't it?.

If you look at siemens products and do a search you will see that I have been helping all siemens voip/cordless user on the voip/gradwell service who need help and some have had pm with me
Puddy
albany
Grafter

Puddy, thanks for useful info.
I've gone with a router based option for now at home and at work I've tried  both Asterisk and 3CX with about 30 users (on GXP2000s) - I settled on 3CX with a hybrid VOIP/POTS solution.  Tried Gradwell but their monthly pricing for ported in numbers was a little steep at the time - not sure what they are now.
I use VOIP (not Plusnet because they wouldn't port numbers - hopefully the Gradwell tie up will now allow that) exclusively for home having ported my phone number when I moved house in the summer. 
I'm doing something similar to Marco's ideas at home.  Had Gigaset been at these prices when I bought my Fritzbox, I'd have probably gone for it.  The price issue then was the pain of replacing 5 handsets.  Using the Fritzbox (http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_WLAN/index.html) I get a lot of the Gigaset functionality on my existing DECT kit.  However, I wouldn't particularly recommend the Fritzbox because the ADSL functionality is flaky (I use a separate ADSL modem).
Looks to me like Gigaset doesn't do 1 or 2 of Marco's original questions, but I'm basing that on reading the manual online.  Can you tell him differently?
3CX will do what Marco wants but he'll need SIP handsets or something like a Linksys PAP2 to use POTS handsets.
Marco, do you fancy having a play with a SIP server? Grin
isdn/ how long ago was that?

About 5 years ago.  I was using a POTS version sold briefly in the UK.  Most phone lines in Germany are ISDN so kit is built first there for ISDN - POTS support is often an afterthought and a lot of German telephony stuff is never released for POTS - but of course this is not relevant to pure VOIP kit.  Have a look here for the full Gigaset ISDN range http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,1935,de_de_0_127762_rArNrNrNrN_df%253Apl,00.html if you're interested.
we are now protected by EU law for warranty

Yes indeed but that doesn't help much if in practice you're having to call Germany and argue over shipping costs Sad
mystery
Grafter

As a bit of history, the last Siemens kit I bought was a nice 2-line DECT base station.  Which cost about three times the cost of a conventional DECT base station at the time.  Almost immediately, UK support dried up and handsets became unavailable other than via personal import from Germany.  Any replacement base station kit became completely unavailable since the German stuff was for ISDN only.  Siemens quite simply didn't sell enough in the UK and pulled the product after only a few months.

I was surprised to read this as I've used siemens dect phone since 1998 and as recently as last year was able to purchase a replacement phone from a UK company, online at a very reasonable price.
I have recently decided that as I don't really want to change my normal phones for the flimsy things on the market today, I would add a siemens gigaset voip phone to my system for my IP usage. I have gone for the S450IP which although slightly smaller than my normal dect phones, does feel more substantial than most on the market and also has amazing voice quality.  A pity I can't get it to work on plusnet broadband
puddy
Grafter

settings below for c460ip but should work for the s450
These settings will only work for the voip (gradwell) trial
Here you go for your settings
go in to settings
ip Configuration
ip address type =obtained automatically
remote management
allow access from other networks = no
Telephony settings
connections then edit
Authentication = sip id/user name
Authentication Password = trial passoword
Confirm authentication password= trial password
Username= sip id/username
Domain=sip.plus.net
Display Name = your name
Proxy server address=sip.plus.net
Proxy server port=5060
Registrar server= sip.plus.net
Registrar server port=5060
Network
STUN enabled=no
STUN server= leave blank
STUN port=3478
NAT refresh time=20 sec
Outbound proxy mode=always
Outbound proxy=nat.plus.net
Outbound proxy port=5082
Voice codecs
Voip volume= high
Enable Annex B for G729=no
selected codecs
remove G726
Click set
It may show as unregistered but leave for 10 mins when it will show registered
Dialing Plans
just set to no
Advanced Settings
DTMF over VoIP Connections
send settings tick in ref2833 and sip info
Hook Flash
application type=dtmf-relay
application signal=20
Listen Ports for VoIP Connections
sip port=5060
RTP port =5004
Use random ports =no
Click set

regard
Puddy
ps dont forget you can make free calls worldwide to other Gigaset ip phones users free of charge.  dial 1188#9 and pick a nick name.  you can work out my nick name?
darrenmc

I have used these handsets for ages now and they are very very good.
cooperasoc

Puddy,
I have just spent the traditional couple of weeks trying to get my Siemens 450 system to work, including having to jump to the plusnet beta trial.
I could phone but could hear nothing.
Your guide to setting up the Siemens phone worked !!!  and now I dont have to send nasty messages to Plusnet support...
Many thanks.
albany
Grafter

Juts to let you guys know.  Bought a Siemens 475IP and some handsets a month or so ago.  Delighted with it.
Use it with work SIP system, voip.co.uk and PlusNet.  Works  a treat.
puddy
Grafter

Please note that gradwell will be closing the sip2 settings soon.
sip2.plus.net
should now use
sip.plus.net 
I have modfied the settings to show the changes in this thread
puddy
albany
Grafter

Thanks puddy.
Works for me.
MarcoAguas

Hi all
To cut a long story short I did buy the C475IP back in February. I have been trying since then to connect to PlusNet without much joy!!!
Now I see that Albany has been able to connect the same device to plusnet... HELP PLEASE!!!
Your settings will be much appreciated...
I have not been able to abtain much support from the Plusnet helpline regarding my SiP address and other settings but I think it is my old betta SiP with the addition of the digit '4' in front of it. Is this correct?
Many thanks and kind regards
Marco