cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Siemens 460 IP phone woes

circlecolin

Siemens 460 IP phone woes

Hi
Sorry to be a bother but am having some difficulty in getting my VOIP phone to work and unfurtunately I am a newbie at theis stuff.
I have a Siemens 460 IP phone and have read the threads on how this is best set up but find when I use the settings described in threads that the phone still comes up as "Sip unregistered".
My set up is TP link wireless 4 port router with the siemens connected to it via ethernet cable and the phone is also connected to the same phone point (adsl filter installed) the router is. Interestingly the web control panel shows the interface for the 450 IP, not the 460IP I have.
My settings are as follows and I would be gratefull if anyone could tell me where I have gone wrong!
SIP
Authentication Name:        johnsmith
Authentication password: XXXXXXXX
Confirm "          ":                  XXXXXXXX
Username:                          1234567
Display Name:                  Total newbie
Domain name:                  sip.plus.net
Proxy Server port:              5060
Registrar Server:                sip.plus.net
Registrar Server Port:        5060
Network
Stun Enabled:                    No
Stun Server:
Stun Port:                            3478
NAT refresh Time:              20 sec'
Outbound Proxy mode:      Always
Outbound proxy:                  nat.plus.net
Outbound proxy port:          5082
Voice codecs
VoIP Volume:                      High
Enable annex B for G729:    No
Selected Codecs              Available codecs
G711 a                              G726
G711 u
G729
DTMF over VoIP
Connections
Send settings:  Yes for Audio; Yes for RFC 2833; Yes for Sip info
Hook Flash
Appplication Type:                dtmf-relay
Application signal:                20
Listen Ports for VoIP Connections
SIP port:                                  5060
RTP port:                                5004
Use random ports:                No
As I say using these settings I get SIP registration failed, so not sure where I have gone wrong. From what PLusNet tell me my authentication name should be the name of my account e.g. joebloggs and the user name should be the same as my sip ID number. Any advice would be helpfull! Thanks.
16 REPLIES
puddy
Grafter

Re: Siemens 460 IP phone woes

Here are the settings you should be using
The 460 does show up in the firmware 450 but it is correct!!!  sometimes the siemens does not show registered straight a way but if you log off /close it down in your router and go back in again it will show registered.  Hope it help
Puddy

Authentication Name:  ext number (shows up in the web page  voip.plus.net)
Authentication password:  ?
Confirm authentication password: ?
Username:  ext number
Domain:  sip.plus.net
Display name:? 
Proxy server address: sip.plus.net
Proxy server port:  5060 change to 5062 if it does not ring on incoming calls
Registrar server:  sip.plus.net
Registrar server port: 5060 to 5062 if it does not ring on incoming calls
Registration refresh time: 180 sec
Network   
STUN enabled: No
STUN server:  Blank
STUN port:  3478
NAT refresh time:  sec
Outbound proxy mode: Always   
Outbound proxy:  natproxy.plus.net
Outbound proxy port:  5082
Voice codecs   
VoIP Volume:High 
Enable Annex B for G729: Yes   
  Selected codecs   Available codecs
G711 a law
G711 µ law
G729 
< Add Remove > Up Down   G726
Advanced Settings
DTMF over VOIP
Send settings X= Rfc 2833 X =sip info
Hook Flash
application type dtmf-relay
application 12
Listen Ports for VOIP Connections
SIP port 5060
RTP port 5004
Use random ports No

let me know how you get on please?
circlecolin

Hi Puddy
Thanks for the prompt reply - I will let you know how I get on with this. Thanks again.  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

@circlecolin,
That was unlucky , I think you got everything right apart from the 'Authentication Name' which, as Puddy says, needs to be your extension number ( SIP Id ).
Often the terms such as Username , Authentication Username etc used in the various configuration systems for ATA's and phones can be confusing.
The 'outbound proxy' will work as nat.plus.net but you are better changing it to natproxy.plus.net as Puddy's config.

puddy
Grafter

once he gets up and running I will show him how to get free calls between other siemens gigaset ip  phone users
but 1step at a  time
puddy
circlecolin

Hi
I have been unsuccesful in getting the phone to work with the settings advised  - I still get SIP registration failed on the handset display. When I changed the settings I logged out and waited 10-20 minutes before logging back in. I also have tried rebooting the router after saving the setings for the phone to no avail. I did think that maybe the router was blocking ports so set port triggering for all the ports used e.e 5060, 5062 and 5082 etc. The router even has SIP enabled on it. Can't think what else to try now but your help is greatly appreciated.
Colin
Community Veteran

router even has SIP enabled on it.

What do you mean ? Has your router got a SIP ALG ?
If so you might try leaving the outbound proxy settings blank , as with a working SIP ALG you shouldnt need it.
What model of router is it ?
circlecolin

Hi
The router is a TP-Link TD-W8900G - a make I've not used before. It does have ALG (whatever that is) and I have it set to SIP enabled. I'll change my phone settings for the proxy and see if that works. Thanks MisterW.
I changed the outbound proxy settings to blank as suggested, saved the settings but unfortunately no go. Never mind, I've had enough of this for now. Will try again in the new year as i'm off a long family visit. Thanks for all you help - much appreciated and more than I got from PlusNet.
Colin
Community Veteran

ALG stands for  Application Layer Gateway. It means it understands the SIP protocols and handles the problems of SIP behind NAT routers by translating incoming and outgoing SIP packets.
Unfortunately most of the time the implementation is flawed.
One last try would be to reinstate the outbound proxy AND disable the SIP ALG on the router.
Maybe its one that is flawed and its just interfering.
Anyway have a good holiday.
circlecolin

Well, back from a good long holiday and fighting with this thing again. I diabled the sip in the ALG settings of my router in case it was interfering but still no joy in getting the phone to register. I've even reswet the phone/base unit and rentered all details as advised in the preceeding posts - no joy ther e either i'm afraid. Only think I can think to try now is to swap out the router with an old SMC "Barricade" I pinched from a friend.
OK, I swapped out the routers but it made no difference so it's back to square one. One thing I double checked and found that the line I'm using has 3 points on it and they don' all have filters so thats my next step even though the handset and the phones on the other points are working without any intereference.
As before i'd welcome any advice on this.
Cheers
johpal
Grafter

Just a thought. Which password are you entering? The broadband account starts off with one being issued (by Gradwell?), but you can change it after logging in to the Broadband Control Console. This password would be listed in your 'welcome' email and is different (initially, anyway) to the one you use to login to the Member Centre.
For my own Siemens Gigaset (C475 IP), I use sip2.plus.net as the server and nat.plus.net as the proxy server (set up 48 hours ago).
Community Veteran

@circlecolin,
Double check your password as 'johpal' says.
For my own Siemens Gigaset (C475 IP), I use sip2.plus.net  as the server and nat.plus.net  as the proxy server (set up 48 hours ago).

It doesnt really matter at the moment whether you use sip or sip2 as the server and nat or natproxy for the outbound proxy, both will work at the moment although sooner or later sip2 and nat will be retired in preference to sip and natproxy.
Looking at other possibilities for not registering , maybe your account is not working , we've had a couple of instances of that recently.
Have you ever had a softphone working with your account ?
If not you could try downloading SjPhone and trying that, the setup guide is here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband_phone/setup/sjphonepc.shtml. Although if you are using Vista I would use Sjphone 1.60 instead and use the Mac setup guide here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband_phone/setup/sjphonemac.shtml as the 1.60 user interface is similar to the Mac version.
One other possibility, does your sip id start with a '4' , if so try dropping the 4 and using the last 6 digits only , there was some problem transferring some old PlusTalk accounts to the new platform and some were prefixed with a 4 but dont register correctly.
Ok , thats something to be going on with , let us know how that goes.
circlecolin

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I've just been on the phone with Plus Net and the problem seems to lie with Gradwell as the tech rep couldn't get the VOiP to work with software at his end so they are chasing that up for me. Oh well, it took Gradwell 4 goes in November/December to set things up when I asked PlusNet for the VOiP phone. Will let you know how it goes.
Thanks for all the input folks!
Colin
Community Veteran

Thanks for the info colin, sounds like
maybe your account is not working , we've had a couple of instances of that recently.

Shouldnt take Gradwell long to sort it out. Its nice to hear that someone seems to have got CSC organised with a softphone to test peoples accounts. That will make finding problems a lot quicker.
Post back when you get some more feedback from PlusNet/Gradwell and well sort out getting your C460 working...
circlecolin

A wee update.
I phoned PLusNet around 11am having had no further word from them. I was told that the issue had been fixed and that it should all work. Tried the set up again but no joy so downloaded and set up SJphone - it didn't work either so it was back on the phone to PLusNet.
Chap I spoke to went through all the settings for SJphone with me but it still wouldn't  work so he tried it at his end and no joy. He then contacted Gradwell while I waited and they were firm in saying there was no longer any problem at their end.  Having elimitated hardware/software as the issue at my end the tech chap kept at it and found that the password Gradwell had for my VOiP was not the same as origianlly given to me - I've been given 6 different ones by PlusNet since first signing up for VOiP  Roll eyes
Upshot was the password at Gradwells end was reset ,to match the one I had been issued and hey presto SJ phone worked. I then shut it down and reset the base unit of the C460 IP to use IP and it registered immediately.  So all the settings I had originally put in and suggested by you kind folk were correct. Whoopee!
Thanks everyone for your kind support.
Colin