cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup - SJPhone and 300ATA

Neo
Grafter

Setup - SJPhone and 300ATA

I purchased a Solwise 300ATA to make use of the free minutes I receive with my PlusNet account. I use a router and haven't had much luck in setting up the ATA in conjunction, so I thought I'd try to get the SJPhone software working first (using this http://www.plus.net/support/broadband_phone/setup/sjphonepc.shtml )
I have seen this thread: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,65226.0.html and note there are some similarities. When I tried SJPhone first, it said "SIP: failed to register as sip:mynumber@sip2.plus.net:5060" and "NAT of unknown type". I forwarded some ports (5000, 5060, 5082 and even 347Cool to my PC's IP address and it still won't register. I have tried dropping the first digit of my account number to give a 6 digit string, but that made no difference.
What am I missing? Undecided
These are the settings I'm using for the ATA:
Registration Interval (secs) = 3600
Authentication Method = AUTH_MD5
Registrar Address = sip2.plus.net
Registrar Port = 5060
Proxy Address = nat.plus.net
Proxy Port = 5082
Outbound Proxy Address = nat.plus.net
Outbound Proxy Port = 5082
I have tried it without specifying the Outbound Proxy details.
I'm not sure if I need to enter details for the STUN server and port...
TIA
14 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Setup - SJPhone and 300ATA

Try changing these
Proxy address = sip2.plus.net
Proxy port = 5060
and disable stun
Neo
Grafter

Thanks for your suggestion, itsme. It's working now Smiley
For the record, the VoIP 300ATA requires the following:
Registration Interval (secs) = 3600
Authentication Method = AUTH_MD5
Registrar Address = sip2.plus.net
Registrar Port = 5060
Proxy Address = sip2.plus.net
Proxy Port = 5060
OutboundProxy Address = nat.plus.net
OutboundProxy Port = 5082
STUN = disabled
Auth User ID = full 7 digit number
User Name = full 7 digit number
The LAN DHCP client was also interfering with the WAN interface of the ATA, so this was fixed by changing the default LAN IP range to 192.168.8.x
So far, outgoing calls are fine, but incoming calls don't seem to be working...
puddy
Grafter

Have a go with these settings
Proxy  : nat.plus.net
Proxy Port : 5082
Register Proxy  :sip.plus.net
Register Proxy Port : 5060
Outbound Proxy  : sip.plus.net
Outbound Proxy Port : 5060
You dont need any stun settings
puddy
Neo
Grafter

Thanks puddy, although the ATA was already working with the settings I posted above Wink
Quote from: Neo
So far, outgoing calls are fine, but incoming calls don't seem to be working...
This was fixed with a firmware upgrade.
Neo
Grafter

Another issue that has popped up: area codes - to ring anyone locally we now have to dial include the local area code each time.
I can't see anywhere to enter an area code in the ATA's web UI (I don't think there is one, I've searched the manual). Should the area code be handled by the ATA or can PlusNet/Gradwell do "something" at their end? How easy would it be to include a prefix? Is the local area code inserted automatically for Home Phone service users?
Neo
Grafter

Anyone (ideally from PN) care to comment on setting the area code?  Huh
Looking at other VoIP providers, I see that some have made this setting available from their website's control panel, so perhaps PN can do the same, via the Broadband Phone website?
RichSmol
Grafter

I think the best way to do this would be to setup a dial plan within the ATA (im sure you must be able to do this as im confident its a standard feature on pretty much every ATA) - the only problem is finding out how you enter the dial plan as you've pointed it out, if its not obvious im not too sure where you would find it. It may be possible to do this via a telnet session into the ATA although, again, im not too sure whether you can do that through this make/model of ATA.
The dial plan recommended by Gradwell is provided below, im sure this could be modified some way to allow you to dial local geo numbers without having to enter the area code each time.
( *x. | **x. | 0xxx xxx xxx. | 186 xxx xxxx | [1-8]xx | [1-8]xxx | [1-9]xx xxxx | 00 xxxxx x. | 141 0 x. | 1470 0 x. )
Explanation: *x. Any star code **x. Any double star code 0xxx xxx xxx. Any UK PSTN number 186 xxx xxxx 186 VM access (takes you to voicemail for given extension) [1-8]xx 3 digit short code [1-8]xxx 4 digit short code [1-9]xx xxxx 7 digit extension 00 xxxxx x. International number 141 0 x. Withhold CLI on PSTN call 1470 0 x. Present CLI on PSTN call
I'll get on to Gradwell and see if they can offer some advise.
Neo
Grafter

Many thanks for your reply Rich Smiley
I had a look at the dial plan string setting in the ATA (so I know where to put it Wink ) but I wasn't sure if it would do the job. The format looks similar to the Gradwell one you have posted. However, it seems to be more for invoking preset behaviour (e.g. call return) usually defined by the VoIP provider, rather than creating new actions (e.g. inserting a prefix).
I have put the instructions for the 300ATA's dial plan on my website here for anyone interested. It doesn't make easy reading  Undecided
I look forward to hearing any further information from Gradwell etc Wink
RichSmol
Grafter

It can be done it just requires a bit of dial plan tinkering (i'm told) - I've asked Gradwell for a modified dial plan specific for your device. It can be done at account code level (anything can be done at code level) but this obviously needs to be built and applied for all Gradwell's customers and at the moment there just doesnt seem to be a big driver for the development work required, probably because of the dial plan workaround for most devices. I'll get back to you once i've got the dial plan.
RichSmol
Grafter

Does this URL help - its an archived discussion regarding the Solwise equipment and a firmware enhancement offering Dial Plans ; http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/archive/index.php?t-7312.html
Neo
Grafter

Thanks for the additonal info, Rich - I look forward to getting a dial plan from Gradwell that includes the area code.
Quote from: RichSmol
Does this URL help - its an archived discussion regarding the Solwise equipment and a firmware enhancement offering Dial Plans ; http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/archive/index.php?t-7312.html
Thanks, that is in fact the location from where I got the instructions PDF in the first place! Roll eyes I searched the Solwise forum before I mentioned the issue here Wink As you can see from Steve's response:
[quote=Steve at Solwise]To be honest, I've spent about 20 mins going through the dial string setup (attached) and I can't see any way of putting a prefix on dialed numbers.He didn't see any obvious way of entering a prefix either, so it doesn't really help much Sad
RichSmol
Grafter

Gradwell have provided a dialplan for a SPA941, this should enable you to dial a local 6 digit number and the SPA prefixes it with 01454 (example area code).
(*xx|[3469]11|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|<:01454>[2345678]xxxxxx.|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)
The section we are interested in, is
<:01454>[2345678]xxx.
The phone is matching anything starting with 2345678 and append 01454 to it.
The way the rule is constructed will still allow for internal 7 digit numbers to be dialled.
Hopefully you can use this info to adapt the dial plan in your Solwise equipment.
cheers
Rich
Neo
Grafter

Thank you for reply, Rich Wink
The Linksys SPA941 supports "sub-sequence substitution" using the "<" character, which allows the area code to be substituted - I'm not sure my ATA supports this as there doesn't seem to be any mention of a similar feature in the PDF.
[quote=RichSmol]It can be done at account code level (anything can be done at code level) but this obviously needs to be built and applied for all Gradwell's customers and at the moment there just doesnt seem to be a big driver for the development work required, probably because of the dial plan workaround for most devices.
TBH, I think in the long term, it would be better if the local area code be be set in the Broadband Phone web UI / control panel since:

• Not everyone will have an ATA/SIP phone that supports the same dial plan features.

• Not everyone will have an ATA/SIP phone - I don't think many software based phones support dial plans.

• Not everyone is technically knowledgeable.

I suspect there hasn't been much demand for it yet because most people on the trial are technically competent, aren't too bothered about dialling the local area code, are calling mostly VoIP contacts, have stored common contact numbers etc.

Please can a 'local area code' setting be added to the interface at https://voip.plus.net , sometime soon? Smiley
Also, can you confirm that Home Phone users don't suffer this inconvenience?
RichSmol
Grafter

its an idea and I always save a section in our monthly service review to discuss top 10 most requested features. This would most definitely make it on that list although I dont think this would be a tool which could ever have end user control through the portal (might do sometime down the line) but the functionality doesnt even exist within Gradwell's own tools or codebase as of yet. Might come a point where the tool is built in such a way which doesnt disrupt core code allowing that end user control through the voip.plus.net portal but we'll have to wait and see.