cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a Billion 7401VGP & using a Panasonic Analog exchange together poss?

tarquel
Grafter

Setting up a Billion 7401VGP & using a Panasonic Analog exchange together poss?

Hi all
Got a friend who's trying to set up a Billion 7401VGP - http://www.billion.uk.com/product/voip/7401vgp.htm - and some sort of Panasonic Analog Exchange device i.e. multiple "normal" phones connected to a exchange unit that can use one or more lines to call out on (dont have the model number to hand but can get it in the morning i think)
Been playing with the VOIP settings within the router and no matter what i try, i cant get the link between the router and the sip service to work i.e. I get unknown as the status instead of registered or unregistered etc.
The guy has been paying for this plus talk / broadband phone service for quite some time and I'd like to get it up and running for him so im trying to work out:
a) why wont the router link to the plusnet sip server [i've tried sip and sip2 to no effect]
b) whether he can use the Panasonic device connected to the analogue rj-11 or a ethernet port  on the router to provide him with a way to use the service
When hunting for the correct connection information on the various places of the plusnet sites i.e. within the Help section of the member center, in the voip.plus.net and on the forums, i seem to get different information wherever i look.
The user doesnt have the welcome email that was sent to him when he first signed up to the service in order to have *all* the correct settings available to us to use on the router, and when we tried to get this information from Customer support the other week [to explain that we didnt have this information and also as we didnt have the password and didnt notice you could change it within the voip.plus.net control panel] we just got a email / ticket saying to log into the voip control panel.
I have found a old forum thread for a similar router but the info didnt seem to work for us:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,54863.0.html
Kinda desperate to get this setup for him so if anyone can shed some light on this little mystery, it would be really handy, as will be popping there sometime tomorrow [well... today... being that its Wednesday Wink]
Many thanks for your time guys Smiley
Cheers
Nath.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Setting up a Billion 7401VGP & using a Panasonic Analog exchange together poss?

I'm not familiar with the 7401 but I've managed to setup a few voip systems.
Anyway I've had a quick look at the manual and here goes my suggestions
Create a user defined profile as on page 76 say called Plusnet
Registrar address :- sip.plus.net
Registrar port :- 5060
Domain/realm :- sip.plus.net
Outbound proxy :- natproxy.plus.net
Outbound Proxy Port :- 5082
Use your sip id ( thats the extension number in the voip control panel ) for 'Phone number' and 'Authentication username'.
Use your sip password ( you can set it from the voip control panel ) for the 'Authentication password'
Anything you like in displayname, but i'd use sip id for starters just in case
Page 75  select the profile you just created, and I'd enter your username/password again on this page just in case
Check the settings as on page 78 and click the Sync Now
Check as on page 82.
Apologies if you've already done all that , but post back and we'll try and help a bit more.
tarquel
Grafter

Re: Setting up a Billion 7401VGP & using a Panasonic Analog exchange together poss?

Hi there and many thanks for replying...
Looks pretty much the same as we were trying except that natproxy.plus.net looks different so that should be good, and....
Use your sip id ( thats the extension number in the voip control panel ) for 'Phone number' and 'Authentication username'.

Saw this last night whilst looking stuff up. Quite silly of them IMO to use the term Phone Number as i thought it to mean the telephone number of the broadband phone hehe

Also, will that Panasonic device work with what the guy wants as per the first post?
I *believe* its a Panasonic KX-TEA 308:
http://www.frosttelecoms.co.uk/product36029_78640.aspx
or if not, its something very similar to that model [still boxed up... I've not even seen it yet]
Cheers
Nath.
Community Veteran

I'm afraid the natproxy change may well not be significant unfortunately...
Saw this last night whilst looking stuff up. Quite silly of them IMO to use the term Phone Number as i thought it to mean the telephone number of the broadband phone hehe

Various ATA's and routers have similar terms such as 'Phone number' , userid etc and its difficult to be certain which they use for actual authentication with the SIP server. You're probably right in that you can set the Phone number to the DDI number BUT in my experience when initailly trying to get something new working its best to start off with everything set to the sip id. Once youve got it working you can then experiment to see which field it actually uses for authentication.
Not sure about the Panasonic working but assuming it has an analogue connection designed to connect to a standard BT line I dont see why that cant be connected to the router telephone port and work successfully
tarquel
Grafter

Great stuff.... thanks for the info.
Not sure about the Panasonic working but assuming it has an analogue connection designed to connect to a standard BT line I dont see why that cant be connected to the router telephone port and work successfully

Exactly what I was thinking Smiley
The one thought i did wonder though was where to plug the phoneline in on the router from the Panasonic? i.e. can you plug it into a ethernet port or does it have to be the analogue phone socket on the router?
Cheers
Nath
Community Veteran

The one thought i did wonder though was where to plug the phoneline in on the router from the Panasonic? i.e. can you plug it into a ethernet port or does it have to be the analogue phone socket on the router?

If its an analogue phone line from the Panasonic exchange then you can ONLY plug it into a phone port on the router ( you may need a RJ11->BT adaptor ).
If the Panasonic has a SIP trunk card fitted ( which I doubt ) then it will have an Ethernet connection which you just plug into a spare port on the router, BUT then all the SIP configuration will be done in the Panasonic system NOT in the 7401...
Here is a guide for the Panasonic http://www.westlake.co.uk/Westlake_Panasonic_Guide.pdf
Community Veteran

Here's http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Panasonic_Systems/PA308_Installation_Manual.pdf
the installation manual for the Panasonic 308 I think.
Looks like it has RJ11 connectors on its CO ( outside line ) ports.
I would guess that the Billion 7401 has RJ 11 also...
I would suggest that you get the voip working on the 7401 first using a normal phone before you connect the 308.
tarquel
Grafter

Well it worked a treat the settings / advise u gave Smiley
Although one interesting thing was that when connecting the "line" to the phone socket - in order to have it use the normal analogue line should the voip fail - the adsl side of things kept rebooting.... dont think the whole router did but it kept losing its sync.
Was odd because it was plugged into the ADSL filter [i.e. was the same filter as where the ADSL signal was from] but we did wonder whether it wud cause some sort of feedback loop to take place....
Or whether theres some bug in the router Wink
Not needed anyhow as the guy was planning on using the Panasonic with his other lines anyhow, so no biggie Smiley
Didnt setup the Panasonic... the guy was confident that he could do the rest so we left it at that. Plugging a phone into that "phone" port on the router did the trick and was able to call a normal landline no problem.... very nice clear signal too Smiley
Many thanks for your help, and wouldn't it be nice if PN updated all their guides thoughout their sites, and made them all uniform regarding this stuff i.e. such as info like you have given us Smiley
Was great to see it in action though Smiley
Cheers
Nath.
Community Veteran

Glad I could help Smiley
Its difficult I guess for PlusNet to have guides to cover all the various kit out there.
It just happens that I have a particular interest in voip at the moment and therefore am able, sometimes, to translate the information used on one set of equipment to another with some success.
pd
Grafter

Hi...
Didn't want to butt in while you were helping him out.  I'd go along with all your advice.  As for the Panasonic, a straight through lead with RJ11 on both ends should be OK between a CO port on the Panasonic and the analogue phone port on the router.  As for PSTN fall-back, I have seen this option on a few routers but to be honest I can't see how it can work with a filter in line.  It might work if the router is on a line with nothing else and no filter would then be required.
pd
Community Veteran

Was odd because it was plugged into the ADSL filter [i.e. was the same filter as where the ADSL signal was from] but we did wonder whether it wud cause some sort of feedback loop to take place....

Just a thought , when you say plugged into the same filter, it was in the Phone port of the filter wasnt it ?
@pd
Some voip routers have a 'Line' connection for the PSTN which is separate from the ADSL port. In this case AFAIK the connection to the 'Line' must go to the Phone side of an ADSL filter as it acts just like a normal phone.
Other routers ( like my 2700HGV ) just have an ADSL port and filter the PSTN connection internally off to the voip port, in this case it must be connected to an unfiltered line.
tarquel
Grafter

MisterW:
Yeah.... i didnt mean they should provide guides for every router out there.... i write guides for things at work so i know how time consuming it is to make a decent guide [a rubbish guide is no guide at all after all - certain software companies need to learn that but i digress... Wink].
Just meant they should include more details about the settings and what might be expected.
Especially when we told PN that we didnt have the initial email for the settings, it would have been nice if they could have resent it but there we go.
(its not a negative against PN... its just a suggestion about improvement really Cheesy)
Thanks to both of you regarding the filtering (or not) discusion... fully understand where you guys are coming from there. Have seen some routers in the past where you plug the router into the phone line [wall socket] and the router itself i guess has a filter built in and you plug the phone into it.... this was some time ago, so nothing voip related.... just a different way of donig it i guess. Was some Thomson / Voyager device as i recall.
The friend in question does cabling - both cat5e and telephone lines. He just didnt know how to get the voip up and running so should be fine from hereon in...
*crosses fingers* Wink
Thanks
Nath.