cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Nokia E65 for sip calls

mystery
Grafter

Setting up Nokia E65 for sip calls

I posted this on another part of the forum, but now found the correct threads.
I'm having difficulty setting up my nokia E65 for sip calls using my plusnet account.  My phone is debranded but using an O2 sim card.
I have entered all the settings sent to me by plusnet, but I just get a message saying unable to make internet call.
Any help greatly apprechiated.  In the mean time I will enter the settings I have found on another thread.
Can anyone also tell me, if it is possible to make sip calls only through my own broadband connection, or can i use any wifi connection, or even o2's mobile broadband connection? Also, can I make sip calls via my account, when overseas?
27 REPLIES
puddy
Grafter

Re: Setting up Nokia E65 for sip calls

if your e65 is debranded which firmware are you running?
code is 0536850
firmware is 4.0633.74.00
04-09-08
RM-208
To make or receive VoIP calls your e65 phone needs to log on to a wireless internet signal in range.  If you have a wireless connection at home try and get your e65 to logon to it and make a call.
Now if your okay when out and about anywhere in the world to logon on to any unprotected  wireless internet signal with or without permission then yes you can make a call.
When I am in Spain I go down to a block of flats or large apartments and try and pick up a signal and log on to it.  This allows me to make calls home for free.  If someone in the UK dials your full VoIP number and your connected to a unprotected signal the e65 will ring, the caller pays nothing to call you if they have a free call allowance in the UK or 2p per minute.  Plus the caller does not know where you are, they still think your in the UK
In addition your calls back to the UK are free but are chargeable if you go over your call allowance but are still counted as a local UK call charge.
if you have more than 1 voip phone with the same settings and one in the UK and the other in the USA both will ring at the same time until who ever picks it up first.on incoming calls. In addition  if you have 2 phones you just dial your own voip extension number the calls free even if one phone at home with the wife and your in france with the other phone
if friends and family join plusnet and setup a voip call accounts you can call them free by just dialing their plusnet voip extension number
Plusnet dont recommend making a voip call though  o2's mobile broadband connection!!!
Are your voip settings live yet?

please use these settings below for the nokia e65
Profile name Plusnet
Service profile: IETF
Default access point: Your router connection
Public user name: sip:your ext number@sip.plus.net  eg sip:6938087@sip.plus.net
Use compression: No
Use security No
Next, select 'Proxy Server' and enter the following settings...
Proxy server address: sip:natproxy.plus.net
Realm: newsip
User name: your ext number only
Password: your password
Allow loose routing: Yes
Transport type: UDP
Port: 5082
Now press 'Back', select 'Registrar server' and enter the following settings...
Registrar server address: sip:sip.plus.net
Realm: newsip
User name: Extension Number only
Password: Your password
Transport type: UDP
Port: 5060
everything you see in bold and italics needs to show exactly on the screen sometimes sip:and sip. get mixed up
Puddy
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: mystery
I have entered all the settings sent to me by plusnet, but I just get a message saying unable to make internet call.

I got this a message all last night but tried to make voip calls this morning it worked fine
Could be linked to Jameseh posting today problems making out bound calls?
puddy
puddy
Grafter

I have may have found a solution to the error  " unable to make internet call" on the Nokia phones when  making a voip  call
go menu>tools>settings>call and change the send my net call ID and set to yes
puddy
mystery
Grafter

Thanks Puddy,
I have entered all the settings but do have sip2.plus.net, as that's what plusnet said I'd need.
My firmware is 3.0633.69.00
06/02/08
RM 208
As this is a new phone I haven't yet found out how to update the firmware due to having no leads etc for the phone.
When attempting to make an internet call, I get the messages;
'Requesting registration'
'No WLAN coverage for making an internet call'
The default access point is set to my router.
itsme
Grafter

I'm assuming that you have not configured the WLAN so go http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/guides/Nokia_E65_Using_WLAN_en.pdf for instructions.
mystery
Grafter

It'sme,
I'm assuming my WLAN must be configured, otherwise I wouldn't be able to access the internet via my router.
itsme
Grafter

The WLAN been configured on the E65?
mystery
Grafter

Yes on my E65
itsme
Grafter

So why are you getting

When attempting to make an internet call, I get the messages;
'Requesting registration'
'No WLAN coverage for making an internet call'

Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

mystery
Grafter

That's what I want to know............................. Undecided
puddy
Grafter

Thanks Puddy,
I have entered all the settings but do have sip2.plus.net, as that's what plusnet said I'd need.

The settings I gave above are correct the sip2 and sip settings are out of date.  They should not be suppling out of date settings
Can you tell me who at plusnet gave you those settings?
puddy
mystery
Grafter

The support team just re-sent the initial broadband phone settings for the broadband trial and said those are the ones i needed.
This is the info they gave;
Your server settings
--------------------

Your SIP domain:            sip2.plus.net
Your SIP proxy:            nat.plus.net:5082

Plus my account details.
itsme
Grafter

They will work but better to use sip.plus.net and natproxy.plus.net.
Need to find out why the SIP client is not seeing the WLAN. Have you tried leaving Default Access Point blank? This I believe where the problem should be. But normally if you connect to your WiFi router before envoking the SIP client then the default access should not be used. This will be the situation when you are using a WiFI connection away from home So if you leave it blank you will have to manually connect to a Wifi first.