Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up Grandstream Handytone HT503 - esp. Caller ID via PSTN

Neo
Grafter

Set up Grandstream Handytone HT503 - esp. Caller ID via PSTN

Hi all,
I decided to replace my old ATA with one that was better equipped for showing the CLI (Caller ID) on incoming calls that come from the PSTN line.
Therefore I purchased the Grandstream Handytone HT503. I managed to manually copy the settings for VOIP registration from the old ATA to the HT503 (on the FXS port) and I can now make outgoing calls using the attached phone.
However, incoming calls aren't working yet. If I ring the PSTN number the phone rings with an unusual pattern (i.e. it doesn't sound like the normal 'ring..ring...pause...ring..ring...pause'). It seems like the ATA is only passing on the rings in short bursts. More importantly, the incoming number is not displayed.
The number of settings is quite overwhelming for the HT503 (see the commented and colourised copy attached), but I'm guessing the system cadence will affect the actual ringing:
# System Ring Cadence
P4040=c=400/200-400/2000;

and the CLI should relate to these settings
# Caller ID Minimum RX Level. -50-0dB. Default -30dB.
P845=-40
# FSK Caller ID Seizure Bits. 0 - 800 bits. Default 200.
P846=262
# FSK Caller ID Mark Bits. 1 - 800 bits. Default 150.
P847=74
P849=30
# Caller ID Scheme.
# <value=0> Bellcore/Telcordia (default)
# <value=1> ETSI-FSK during ringing
# <value=2> ETSI-FSK prior to ringing with DTAS
# <value=3> ETSI-FSK prior to ringing with LR
# <value=4> ETSI-FSK prior to ringing with RP
# <value=5> ETSI-DTMF during ringing
# <value=6> ETSI-DTMF prior to ringing with DTAS
# <value=7> ETSI-DTMF prior to ringing with LR
# <value=8> ETSI-DTMF prior to ringing with RP
# <value=9> SIN 227 - BT
# <value=10> NTT Japan
P863=9

I got the above from here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:T7r72_ADGAkJ:forums.grandstream.com/node/4439+%...
Anyone successfully set up the HT503 to work with incoming calls via the PSTN?
Anyone at PlusNet towers / Gradwell know which settings to change and to what?
TIA
5 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Set up Grandstream Handytone HT503 - esp. Caller ID via PSTN

I throw in a more general question.
Does any equipment/device pass on the CLI for a PSTN call?
I believe the problem is that BT send the CLI before the ringing unlike the rest of the world where it's between the 1st and 2nd ring therefore the ATA or whatever has to detect, store and retransmit the CLI for a PSTN call.
Neo
Grafter

Thanks for your reply, itsme.
The question had crossed my mind, and it led me to buy the HT503 because it sounded like it should be able to cope with UK CLI.
My previous ATA did seem to work (at least at first) with incoming CLI. It should work IMO if the ATA can be set to be switched to the PSTN by default, and only move to VOIP with an outgoing call.
The different Caller Schemes the HT503 supports (apart from SIN 227) includes things like "ETSI-DTMF prior to ringing with LR" (I'm assuming LR = line reversal), which should be able to deal with the information being received before the rings. I was thinking of trying some of the other schemes, but wondered if someone had already figured it out.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Does any equipment/device pass on the CLI for a PSTN call?

I always understood that the Siemens Gigaset Dual phones did, although since I haven't got CLI on my own line I can't confirm it.
@neo, A bit of googling shows you're not the only ne having trouble with the HT503 and BT CLI.
I did find this though
After quite a bit of testing, we have found that the most reliable settings for CallerID in the UK on a BT Line is :
    * Caller ID Scheme: Sin 227 - BT
    * FSK Caller ID Minimum RX Level : -40db
    * FSK Caller ID Seizure Bits : 262
    * FSK Caller ID Mark Bits : 74

and here is some more info on how BT do CLI http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm#Q_6
Hope that helps
Neo
Grafter

Thanks for your reply, MisterW.
Quote from: MisterW
I did find this though
After quite a bit of testing, we have found that the most reliable settings for CallerID in the UK on a BT Line is :
    * Caller ID Scheme: Sin 227 - BT
    * FSK Caller ID Minimum RX Level : -40db
    * FSK Caller ID Seizure Bits : 262
    * FSK Caller ID Mark Bits : 74
Actually, those are the settings I'm currently using (see above) and that quote is what I linked to in my first post  Wink.
The ainslie.org page seems to show how confusing it can be!
I wonder my having line rental from BT and phone calls with Talk Talk (formerly Tiscali) makes matters worse? I wouldn't have thought so, but you never know...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Actually, those are the settings I'm currently using (see above) and that quote is what I linked to in my first post

Oops! Embarrassed