Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security and VoIP

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Security and VoIP

Are there any guidelines available regarding ensuring the security of a home VoIP system and the data controlled by a PC, where currently the VoIP service is provided through an adapter behind a router, to which is also connected the PC?
Regards.......Noel
2 REPLIES
prichardson
Grafter

Re: Security and VoIP

Security in what regards?
Your SIP ID is transmitted in plain text but the password is never transmitted accross the internet. Instead it uses a challenge response system where a a string of text is sent by the server to you, and your client creates a hash of the text using your password as part of the cypher. As the text sent by the server is normally one time only, the hash generated will also only ever be a one time response.
In regards to local networking aspect, this will depend on the actual network. The simple answer is, if anybody has physical access to the line, they will always be able to intercept the data. In general, it is not an issue to be worrying about, though that depends on reasons for being worried.
The most obvious issue I see people worry about this is for making calls to a companies such as your bank.
In terms of the security of this, it is no less secure to be calling from your land line itself. With this in mind, I will quite often use it to call my bank.
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Security and VoIP

Quote from: P
Security in what regards?

Many thanks, Phil, for your info.
I was thinking in terms of increased risk of hackers accessing data on the PC itself and data passing WAN to LAN or LAN to WAN.
I looked at the following doc...... csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-58/SP800-58-final.pdf.......and wondered if my network, I think a conventional layout, introduced an otherwise avoidable risk and whether the adapter should be in front of the router and, would I be right in saying, out of the LAN.  The LAN being behind the router's firewall.
My knowledge is limited, Phil, so maybe my concerns are based on ignorance.
I would add that my VoIP works splendidly, both with regards to quality and reliability...the adapter quickly re-registering following the relatively rare power failure or adsl line drop.  Excellent stuff!
Regards.....Noel