Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS messages

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

SMS messages

I have an SMS enabled phone Gigaset S450IP but when text are sent to my VOPIP number they end up as voice message from a BT 0845 number. Is it possible to send text to a VOIP number?
4 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

Re: SMS messages

Hi George,
It's not currently possible. Inbound SMS is something that Gradwell have been looking at, but the impression I got was that there was limited demand for the service and that didn't currently justify the development and political efforts involved. I will certainly highlight your question to them, but I wouldn't expect this to change  any time soon.
Regards,
Ian
glloyd
Rising Star

Thanks Ian. I would have thought with more phones being SMS enabled the demand would grow if the facility was there. For VOIP to be accepted more widely it will have to provide the same facilities as normal phones otherwise people won't use it.
petergradwell
Grafter

Quote from: Ian
Hi George,
It's not currently possible. Inbound SMS is something that Gradwell have been looking at, but the impression I got was that there was limited demand for the service and that didn't currently justify the development and political efforts involved. I will certainly highlight your question to them, but I wouldn't expect this to change  any time soon.
Regards,
Ian

Yes, I'd like to do it, but it's currently a technical and political nightmare, because, as you've seen, BT hive off the SMS and read them out to you.
peter
glloyd
Rising Star

Surely that's unfair business practice if BT are not allowing other providers to forward SMS text messages. Angry