cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SKYPE on Plusnet??

realmackenzie

SKYPE on Plusnet??

I have just started with Plusnet after 5 years with B*.
My service has always been very slow (1/2 Meg max as I am on the end of a long copper wire), but I could always get reasonable use of SKYPE (occasional short silences).
However I have not yet been able to last 60 seconds on plusnet without large voice drop-outs (15-30 seconds). is there anything I need to do to get the service to work properly - or is that only going to be possible with my old provider?Huh
A workable SKYPE service is an absolute necessity for me
Plusnet customer services tells me that the line will be erratic for the first 10 days ( not told this when I signed up!), as the line needs to "learn" the new user (their word not mine)  I am guessing that "learn" is pluscode for an algorythm  related to traffic profiling, and also that it is unlikely to improve.
I would appreciate opinion/advice from anyone with experience in this area
5 REPLIES
smiffyb36
Grafter

Re: SKYPE on Plusnet??

The line does need to train for the first 10 days so can be up and down til the tests complete. This is mentioned breifly in the terms and conditions so may not have been highlighted to you but would have been mentioned......or should have been at least  Roll eyes
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I've found Skype to be much more reliable since unticking the 'Use port 80 and 443 as alternatives for incoming connections' box at Tools > Options > Advanced > Connection.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Not hugely helpful but one of my housemates uses GB's of Skype each month across my Plusnet broadband connection and they've never complained to me about any problems.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

I have a decent connection and speed and Skype works fine, until you try to use it when someone in the house is downloading something, Skype is very flaky then.
realmackenzie

My thanks to those of you who posted replies.
I will wait through the 10 days line training time and see how it goes, and I will look at the port settings as suggested
regards
realmackenzie