Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SJPhone not working / Netgear DG834v2 / Norton Firewall

dunbankin
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

SJPhone not working / Netgear DG834v2 / Norton Firewall

Help.  I cannot get SJPhone to work properly.  When I dial my home landline number, SJPhone waits for between 1 to 3 minutes (!) with the hourglass ("Not responding" according to Task Manager), before warbling in my Logitech USB headset three times.  My landline then rings, but when I answer, there’s no voice comms in either direction, just a faint crackle.  After a minute of trying, I hang up.
Using SJPhone 1.65, Norton Internet Security 2008 and Netgear DG834 v2 (updated to latest firmware). 
In the Netgear I’ve defined three new services, all TCP/UDP, for ports 5060/5061, 5082/5083 and 3600/3601.  I’ve then enabled all three services Inbound, Allow always, forwarding to 192.168.0.200 (static IP of my PC), for Any WAN user.  I’ve also enabled all three for Outbound, Allow always, Any LAN or WAN user.
In Norton Personal Firewall, two rules were set up automatically during SJPhone install:
1) Allow, Outbound, Any computer, Communications: remote domain (port 53), TCP/UDP
2) Allow, In/Out, Any computer, Any communications, TCP/UDP.
To these I’ve added a third:
3) Allow, In/Out, Any computer, comms: local ports 5060-5061, 5082-5083, 3600-3601, TCP/UDP.
Plusnet Support have checked my SJPhone settings and that my account is working.  Richsmol says he's successfully made a call using my account, but when he tries to call me, he gets my problem.  SJPhone says it’s registered and my Broadband Phone control panel confirms this.  SJP also says: “NAT/Firewall: NAT of unknown type”
I’m finding this VoIP stuff very confusing and user-unfriendly.  Been trying to get this working for the last two weeks. 
What am I doing wrong?  Are the above Firewall settings sufficient?  Too much?  Dangerous?  Anyone any ideas?  All help gratefully received…..
John
8 REPLIES
puddy
Grafter

Re: SJPhone not working / Netgear DG834v2 / Norton Firewall

I gave up on the software VoIP and got myself a Linksys PAP2 adapter for less than £12 and have never looked back. 
You don’t need to have your computer on to make and receive calls just plug any cheap phone in to it and a way you go!!!  You get excellent sound quality, you do have to have a spare port on your router though, if I can do it so can you Grin.
In addition lots of people on this forum can help you with any problems you may have
Puddy
dunbankin
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Thanks for this puddy.  In desperation I ignored Plusnet's warnings and downloaded X-Lite v3.  It worked first time. 
Are any of my firewall settings (see my original post) either unnecessary or even dangerous?
John
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I use SJPhone and X-Lite 3.  Both work OK and I have never had to open or forward any ports to get either to work.  X-Lite 2 was better that SJPhone if you needed to have several VoIP accounts but looked a bit clunky.  X-lite 3 looks better but you can only have one account, hoverer this is usually enough, and it looks quite nice.
See here for SJPhone set-up -
http://www.voipfoneuserforum.com/about246.html
This is for Voipfone so you will have to add PlusNet configuration in the appropriate places.
puddy
Grafter

Plusnet are having lots of problems with voip at present
But if it works with all your firewalls in place use it.  To date I have never had to port forward change firewalls or open ports for my voip to work.
You could raise a ticket if your worried
Puddy
RichSmol
Grafter

Quote from: puddy

I completely beg to differ with that comment given that we currently have 512 users logged into the platform making an average of 450 calls a day, a total of 16,000 breakout minutes used already this month...  Grin
A percentage of customers are always going to have problems setting up voip due to its complexity but there are currently no major platform issues outstanding.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: RichSmol
I completely beg to differ with that comment

I have offered help for users who have had problems with connections and incoming calls for you to say "we tweaked your account it should work fine now"

A percentage of customers are always going to have problems setting up voip due to its complexity but there are currently no major platform issues outstanding.

siemens range of ip dect phone and the none working fix ***620
Nokia Mobile phones not working
The sip or sip2 problem still not fixed
None resetting of user minutes each month
Grandstream GXP2000&2020 model will not ring on incoming calls
and you say no major platform issues 
To top it all I had to e-mail Peter Gradwell myself to tell him plusnet are having problems with the sip/sip 2 issue because you where to busy on a project.  I have had a ticket open since the 29th May and still have had no working reply
I e-mailed Bob Pullen and Neil Armstrong about the sip/sip2 issue and to date have had no reply
Michael
=jillweekes account
RichSmol
Grafter

We are still investigating all the issues you've outlined and i'll ensure that we have some movement on all those issues in the next couple of days and i'll let you know latest developments in a new thread.
Those said problems only affect less than 5% of the Broadband Phone userbase - im happy to get these issues looked as priority problems if you feel they are causing you and others major concern at the moment.
puddy
Grafter

im happy to get these issues looked as priority problems if you feel they are causing you and others major concern at the moment.

Thank you
I hate to get heavy with you but it seemed no one from F9/plusnet was looking in to my issues on VoIP problems

Puddy
=jillweekes account