cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SJPhone failing to connect

gsnet
Dabbler

SJPhone failing to connect

I have tried setting up SJPhone exactly as described in the online help for PlusNet but it will not connect to the sip server.
I have the same set up exactly on my PDA and this will connected by wifi on exactly the same network.
Has anybody any ideas what is happening.
I can't believe this requires port forwarding because it works on my PDA, and incidentally also works from an asterisk server on an NSLU2 with no portforwarding for either of these two.
I have tried with the firewall on my pc (running windows XP) turned off but this does not help.
Help?
GS
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: SJPhone failing to connect

You're right, you shouldn't need port forwarding, the outbound proxy will handle any NAT traversal needs. Anyway, lack of port forwarding shouldn't stop it registering with the SIP server. My initial guess, like you, would have been a firewall problem but you seem to have ruled that out...
What OS are you running , if its Vista and SjPhone 1.65 then there are some issues and I would suggest uninstalling and trying SjPhone 1.60 as that seems better with Vista ( see the Plusnet Guide to SjPhone for the Mac as 1.60 is similar to that ).
Failing that have you tried any other softphones, I came into contact with this http://www.nch.com.au/talk/index.html recently when trying to help someone else on the forum and was impressed. Download the Basic edition , its free and give it a try.
It has some useful logging features which can assist in fault finding.
Sorry I cant be of more help but lets hope one of the suggestions above proves useful.
Post back with any results.
Good luck 
gsnet
Dabbler

Ian
thanks for the info. Tried using the older version of SJPhone and it worked. I also noticed that the WM5 version I have on my PDA, that worked was the same as the older version for windowns. So if the PDA version works for someone the older version should work.
Anyway, thanks - problem solved.
GS
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Glad I could help.
AFAIK the newer version ( 1.65 ) is only a problem with Vista, it works fine on XP.
gsnet
Dabbler

Ian
the posts I have seen elsewhere also say that 1.65 is a problem with vista and have not mentioned xp. When I get a chance I will post something at SJLabs but switching has certainly fixed my problem.
GS