cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SJPhone NAT Issue

ninety4

SJPhone NAT Issue

Hi there,
I'm new to all this VoiP business so forgive any silly questions!
I've downloaded and installed SJPhone v1.65.377a and entered the config details as found on the plusnet support pages.  However, I'm getting a NAT/Firewall error of Port Restricted Cone NAT which means my connection fails to register.
I'm running Vista Home Premium 64bit, with Kaspersky IS 2009 (v8.0.0.506) and have SJPhone set as a trusted application and enabled in the windows firewall.  I have a dlink DSL-G604T modem/router which has a NAT/Firewall enabled also.  Obviously don't want to turn these things off (as apparently the internet is a dangerous place).
Anybody any suggestions before I raise a support call?
Thanks
Chris
4 REPLIES
ninety4

Re: SJPhone NAT Issue

update:  I have managed to register the phone now, however, I don't seem to be getting incoming calls (it just rings and rings when I call the number from my landline).  I'm guessing this is the NAT issue?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Hi,
NAT shouldnt be a problem if you're configured correctly
I guess you've configured SjPhone according to the PlusNet guide here http://www.plus.net/support/phone/broadband_phone/setup/sjphonepc.shtml
Make sure you've got the 'Use Outbound proxy' checked and try replacing the outbound proxy URI with natproxy.plus.net:5082, that is currently the recommened one and sometimes makes a difference.
IIRC there are some issues with SjPhone and Vista.
If the proxy change doesnt have any effect it might be worth trying X-Lite which seems not to have the same problems with Vista, download from here http://www.counterpath.com/x-lite.html&active=4, setup guide here http://www.plus.net/support/phone/broadband_phone/setup/xlite_pc.shtml. ( Ignore the fact that it says there are some issues , that relates to an earlier version of X-Lite ).
Hope that helps, post back with any more questions and to let us know the results of the changes.
ninety4

cheers MisterW,
I've checked the settings and am using the new proxy (I found that after a search of these forums!) - still no joy.  In the end I downloaded ExpressTalk which seems to be working ok.  I may try x-lite also and see which I prefer.
Now the only problem seems to be that the local number PN have assigned is already in use by someone else!  Will be raising a ticket for that.
chris

Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Glad to hear you got it sorted. I have used ExpressTalk in the past and it seems to work ok. X-Lite has options for some diagnostic logs which I have found useful in the past.
Now the only problem seems to be that the local number PN have assigned is already in use by someone else!  Will be raising a ticket for that.

Hopefully someone from PlusNet will pick that up on here and sort it but best to raise a ticket anyway!!