cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIP settings on Nokia N96

Borovere

SIP settings on Nokia N96

Hi All,
Having upgraded from my Nokia N95 to N96, I find that the SIP setup on N96 is different and I'm annoyed that there is no VOIP client!
So, I'm having to use Fring but have had no joy as I think my SIP settings are incorrect. Could anyone help me with the following settings that the N96 requires?
Here is what I have currently:
Profile Name: I entered 'Gradwell'
Service profile: Options are IETF or Nokia 3GPP
Default Access Point: my WLAN
Public user name: xxxxxxx@sip.plus.net
Use compression: No
Use security: No

Proxy Server Settings
Proxy Server Address: nat.plus.net
Realm: sip.plus.net
User name: xxxxxxx@sip.plus.net
Password: ********
Allow loose routing: Yes
Transport type: Automatic or UDP or TCP
Port: 5082
Registrar Server
Registrar Server Address: sip.plus.net
Realm: plus.net
User name: xxxxxxx@sip.plus.net
Transport type: Automatic or UDP or TCP
Port: 5060
Anything wrong there or other settings I should try?
Thanks in advance.
Jeff
18 REPLIES
Borovere

Re: SIP settings on Nokia N96

I managed to get the Gradwell profile status to say 'Registered' but when I make a SIP call via Fring, it just says 'Call terminated'.
My settings are now:
Profile Name: Gradwell
Service profile: IETF
Default Access Point: my WLAN
Public user name: sip:xxxxxxx@sip.plus.net
Use compression: No
Use security: No
Proxy Server Settings
Proxy Server Address: sip:natproxy.plus.net
User name: xxxxxxx
Allow loose routing: Yes
Transport type: UDP
Port: 5082
Registrar Server
Registrar Server Address: sip:sip2.plus.net
User name: xxxxxxx
Transport type: UDP
Port: 5060
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

The SIP settings I have configured for my N95 8GB are as follows, I can't see how these should differ for the N96 although as you've already mentioned, there's no bespoke SIP client installed on the N96.

To be honest I'm not convinced you need to bother with these screens. Can you not just configure a SIP account in Fring like this?

I've just made a call with things configured as above and it worked OK.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

puddy
Grafter

Nokia had very bad feedback from most mobile phone service providers, to cut a long story short they thought they were losing money.  So asked nokia to drop VoIP call service from most phone's the last one was nokia n95 8gb.
Nokia have not written a VoIP program hoping someone else would.  It’s not possible to make VoIP calls from a Nokia n96 at present (not sure about fring
puddy
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: puddy
... the last one was nokia n95 8gb.

One of the reasons I've stuck with mine. Can't see why Fring wouldn't work on the N96 although I'd look into what your providers stance is on using voip from your handset.
e.g. from here:
Quote from: Vodafone
Vodafone does not support Skype or any other Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) service, nor any peer-to-peer services.
Any data used for these services will be charged separately and is not included in any data allowance - see your price plan for full details.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

James
Grafter

How long did it take them to tell you that?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Unsurprisingly James they didn't! Wink
For those who don't know I had a slightly less than impressive dialogue with Vodafone recently trying to sort out what should have been a really trivial matter.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

puddy
Grafter

vodaphone asked nokia to take out the VoIP settings out.  Nokia refused so vodaphone opened every box and re loaded their version of firmware and re-seal the box.  Nokia were not happy the spent all the rd on making VoIP usable.
If you have a vodaphone E65 N82 N95 and N95-8gb etc you can get VoIP to work by de-branding the phone , the cable needed is already in the box and the software to do it is free.  Takes about 30 mins or pop in to you local friendly independent mobile repair shop.
Ask them to make it sim free then upload the latest Nokia sim free firmware and ask him to unlock the phone if you wish total cost about £25
I can confirm 3HG and o2 leave the sip settings in but 3 lock the phone to the network but I received 2 N95 free and  1 was already unlocked
Puddy
Ps de-branding gets rid of vodaphone and 3HG adverts and screen savers and it will wipe your phone so back it up first
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

vodaphone asked nokia to take out the VoIP settings out.  Nokia refused so vodaphone opened every box and re loaded their version of firmware and re-seal the box.  Nokia were not happy the spent all the rd on making VoIP usable.

Yep, this was how both my N95 and my N95 8GB came. The VoIP settings are all present but the menu to actual initiate a VoIP call is removed (i.e. you haven't got the option for 'Internet Call' after you've typed a number in).
If you have a vodaphone E65 N82 N95 and N95-8gb etc you can get VoIP to work by de-branding the phone , the cable needed is already in the box and the software to do it is free.  Takes about 30 mins or pop in to you local friendly independent mobile repair shop.

IIRC I changed the product code on my N95 8GB and reflashed the firmware using the Nokia software updater which seemed to do the trick.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

taras
Grafter

Thanks Puddy saw the prob with my set up on the nokia e75...
http://www.forum.nokia.com/Tools_Docs_and_Code/Tools/Plug-ins/Enablers/SIP_VoIP_Settings_application...

the above might be usefull for nokia e71/72/75 ... and others Smiley..
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
IIRC I changed the product code on my N95 8GB and reflashed the firmware using the Nokia software updater which seemed to do the trick.

The best bit about doing this is no more vodaphone adverts/screen savers and it will be easier to sell becuase you have turned it in to a sim free phone and unlocked it
dont forget to keep the box  Wink
puddy
Community Veteran

Nokia had very bad feedback from most mobile phone service providers, to cut a long story short they thought they were losing money.  So asked nokia to drop VoIP call service from most phone's the last one was nokia n95 8gb.

So my e71 doesn't have voip then? And what about the N97?
Whilst individual networks might not be happy about voip facilities being available, and may block their usage on some (or all) tariffs, Nokia are not removing voip from every phone.
[i]It's the PlusNet Way[/i]
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: dhookham
And what about the N97?

AFAIK the N97 doesn't have a bespoke SIP client (not even the Nokia Firmware versions). The settings are still there but you can't actually make a VoIP call without installing 3rd party software. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but that was the case last time I looked into it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

puddy
Grafter

anybody tried to see if gizmo will work for sip on the nokia n96 and n97?
Puddy
bone
Grafter

Not sure if this is of any use to anyone with an N97 but I thought I would post it in here as mucha s anything just in case I need it again Smiley
http://winkstreaming.com/en/n97_sip/
I got sip working fine on my N97 without needing fring or anything else like that.