cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Russian mobiles

Community Veteran

Russian mobiles

Towards the end of 2007, back on the pre-Gradwell VoIP platform, I made a few VoIP phone calls to a friend with a mobile phone in Russia - it was far, far cheaper than using my landline or mobile phone. However, whilst nosing through the current Broadband Phone tariff, there is no price mentioned for Russian mobiles - only Russian landlines. Does that mean that I would now be unable to phone Russian mobile phones using the current Broadband Phone service? If so, that's a pity... I'm currently thinking of setting up my iPhone as a VoIP handset (an idea that's been put in to my head by all the Skype iPhone app buzz), and was going to use Fring with PN's BB Phone, but if I can't call Russia I'll probably have to go with Skype. Sad
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Russian mobiles

A lot of countries bear no distinction between landlines and mobiles for incoming calls.  In fact, I think that the UK is fairly 'odd' having seperate dialling codes for mobiles.
Here, it's because the Calling party has to pay the 'premium' for making a call to a mobile.  In many other countries, the (additional) cost for receiving a call on the mobile is borne by the mobile account holder.
I may be woofing up the wrong deciduous though..
B.
Fixes: 101

Somehow even though mobiles have the same area code in the US the telecoms companies here know and we get fleeced all the same...
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Looking through the Broadband phone tariff PDF a lot of the calls look expensive compared to Skype.
I would go with Skype for your calls to Russian mobiles, at £0.037 per minute you can't go wrong.
Community Veteran

Quote from: adiewoo
Somehow even though mobiles have the same area code in the US the telecoms companies here know and we get fleeced all the same...

It's the same rate on Skype for US mobiles and landlines
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
Looking through the Broadband phone tariff PDF a lot of the calls look expensive compared to Skype.
I would go with Skype for your calls to Russian mobiles, at £0.037 per minute you can't go wrong.

Skype is cheaper but I believe the price quoted above is excluding VAT where PN prices include VAT
RichSmol
Grafter

Heres the full reason why Russian mobile rates are not there which i dont think has ever been fully explained to you all...
Its one of those countries that seems to harbor a lot of potential fraudulent activity therefore Gradwell have to constantly monitor the volume of calls going to / coming from that specific location. Its not actually stated on the tariff as we may need to remove it at short notice should Gradwell choose to block inbound / outbound calls to that location. We would then have to update the PDF tariff which is quite difficult given the re-write, test (finding a testing slot first amongst the major project rollouts), and roll out time required to make it all happen. Therefore we decided that we'd provide a 'summary' on the PDF until we build a call cost calculator which is a bit more dynamic and updates itself from a central repository.
FYI: You can request a quote on a particular call type by raising a ticket.
Incidently, Russian mobiles carry the +734348 prefix and cost 4.25p (ex-vat) any time of day.
Community Veteran

@ itsme
When you buy the Skype credit you are charged 15% VAT. When you make the call the cost is deducted from your Skype credit.
So the price per minute I quoted is inclusive of VAT. All calls made to to mobile and landlines using Skype credit incur a connection fee of £0.029

Another example, PN rate for USA is £0.083 daytime and £0.042 evening and weekend, Skype's rate is £0.012 plus connection fee £0.029
itsme
Grafter

Skype rates are here and using the USA as the example its 0.012 excl VAT and 0.014 incl VAT.
It's been many years since I last brought Skype credit so can't remember if they charge VAT on top of your topup credit or it they subract from you topup credit. Either way when you pay the 0.012 excl VAT you would affectively pay 0.014 as the VAT has been paid up front.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Rich
FYI: You can request a quote on a particular call type by raising a ticket.
Incidently, Russian mobiles carry the +734348 prefix and cost 4.25p (ex-vat) any time of day.

Thanks for the information Rich - I didn't request a quote via ticket as I took it from the lack of inclusion in the tariff that calling such numbers wasn't actually possible, hence bringing my enquiry here. What exactly do you mean by 'carrying a prefix' however? As the friend's Russian mobile number doesn't look like the one you gave at all - it begins +79611 (with the +7 being the international dialling prefix).
Thanks too to everyone else for the price comparisons - I'll bear them in mind when deciding which VoIP service to go for.
itsme
Grafter

Gradwell has this tool to calculate call rates but what is not known is PN mark up.
Community Veteran

@Be3G I wouldn't bother trying to set up the Skype app on your IPhone just yet because Skype is broken!
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=256411&st=100
Maybe it was 17 million IPhone owners trying install Skype
I haven't figured out if it's linked to that but their card payment system is down too. I am being told they won't be able to process some card payments until April 8!
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Gradwell has this tool to calculate call rates but what is not known is PN mark up.

Hmm, interestingly, the rate it gave me for the Russian mobile was less than the one Rich gave me. Huh
Edit: I meant to say more, not less - the Gradwell rate appears to be more expensive than the PN rate.
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Either way when you pay the 0.012 excl VAT you would affectively pay 0.014 as the VAT has been paid up front.

You are correct. Please forgive my little brain fart from earlier.
* santiago wonders about editing the earlier posts to correct the figures
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
Please forgive my little brain fart from earlier.

Can you blame it on the time zone?