Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registration problems - Siemens C475IP

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Registration problems - Siemens C475IP

I'm using a Siemens C475IP VOIP phone and I've been seeing 'Provider registration failed' numerous times this week. Usually it comes back on by itself - the time varies but not normally very long. However, it's off at the moment and hasn't come back on like normal. I see that some Nokia users have been having difficulties too.
I've been having other problems with my wireless computer losing connection and having difficulty assigning an IP address but the VOIP has generally been OK throughout (except for the brief outages as above) whereas I've had to continually reboot my router to get the computer reconnected.
I've recently moved house and am using the same equipment as before although I hadn't really begun using VOIP very much until after the move. Everything was really stable at the old house but it's all going wrong here. I'm currently using a 20 ft ethernet cable running between 2 rooms and across the landing to see if the connection problems persist. Do you think the VOIP is now becoming a casualty of this whole connection thing?
I don't know where to begin - I've even tried a different wireless adapter in the wireless computer in case it was that. The VOIP phone's base is connected via the ethernet port and it is linked wirelessly to the handset in another room.
I have a netgear DG834GT.
Annie
19 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Registration problems - Siemens C475IP

Hi,
Can you try using "newsip" as the realm in your setup rather than "sip.plus.net"?
This may help - It's a change Gradwell made recently.
Annie
Rising Star

Just tried James but it hasn't worked. I have the following 3 things: domain, proxy server address and registrar server. I changed it in all of them, just putting newsip and nothing else after it.
Annie
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Can you try using "newsip" as the realm in your setup rather than "sip.plus.net"?

I dont believe the C475IP is affected by the 'newsip' realm change. Like most SIP clients, It doesnt care that the realm in the Gradwell reply is different from that configured ( in the domain field I think ). Certainly mine has shown no problems since the Gradwell change.
@Annie,
Given that you are having problems with the wireless it could be the router at fault. Do you have a spare router you could try ?
I'm currently using a 20 ft ethernet cable running between 2 rooms and across the landing to see if the connection problems persist.

I take it from that you are connecting the computer wired rather than wirelessly now. That should tell us whether its just a wireless problem ( maybe another router close by on the same channnel ) or its a broadband connection issue.
It sounds like the router is losing the broadband connection temporarily and the C475 cant contact the server until the connection comes back and then it reregisters...
What make/model of router do you have ?
Your router line stats would be useful , this http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php tells you how to get them from most of the common routers.
Hope that helps.
Annie
Rising Star

Well the phone worked again after I unplugeed and plugged the router back in several times yesterday so that seems to have sorted that problem.
Here are my router stats...
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2816 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 60.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 9.6 db 21.0 db
The router is a netgear DG834GT. Yes, I attached the wireless computer (my husband's computer) with a cable to see if that helped. I continued to have a dodgy wireless connection yesterday but the cable connection was good. However, this morning, I've only had the wireless connection set up and it seems to be fine again. However, my own computer which is always attached with a cable dropped a connection briefly this morning. I got a bubble saying that a network cable had been disconnected, even though I hadn't done anything. It reconnected itself within about 3 minutes but I don't understand what is going on. My firmware is V1.02.19 which I believe is the latest version. The router was working fine at my old house before we moved about 6 weeks ago right up until just before the move when I had a problem after trying out a dial up connection because I wasn't going to get broadband in time.
I don't  have access to another router.
Annie
Community Veteran

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2816 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 60.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 9.6 db 21.0 db

Thats a pretty long line ( Attn 60db ) and so I wouldnt be surprised if you get the odd broadband disconnection.
However...
I got a bubble saying that a network cable had been disconnected,

That tends to indicate a router problem, losing the broadband connection wont give that error, it must be losing the connection to the router.
Annie
Rising Star

Do you mean the line is long between the exchange and my house or between my master socket and router? I managed to get a BT Openreach socket and replaced my master socket with this. I had to put quite a long telephone cable from the socket to my router upstairs but my stats show a faster speed for doing it. I still don't think it's great - I had 6Mbps at my old house. Incidentally, I was getting the same problem with the previous socket and setup.
I've been monitoring things on my machine today and my connection dropped out a second time but this time I didn't have a bubble, the internet just didn't work for about a minute. Do you think the problems I've been having with IP's not getting assigned properly is also down to a router failure? It looks like I'm going to need to buy a new one as I don't have the expertise to investigate this in great depth. I only hope that it will solve the problem.
Annie
James
Grafter

Annie,
He means that you are a long way from the exchange.
Annie
Rising Star

Ah, so not something I can do anything about.
I've just run a test on the BT Speed Tester and I'm really confused about the throughput. It's lower than before...
    Your DSL connection rate: 2816 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 206 kbps
yet the mybroadband.co.uk speed site shows a download speed of 1771 kbps (221kB/s) and it was 2302 kbps (288kB/s) yesterday. Am I really only getting 206kbs? I thought that when the IP profile increased my throughput would too.
Annie
Community Veteran

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 206 kbps

Annie,
I think its generally accepted that the throughput figure from the BT speedtest is useless!
Only the connection rate and profile are useful information.
The Plusnet ( mybroadband ) speedtest is a lot more accurate and agrees with your profile.
If you've been with PlusNet for a while and agree to stay for usually 12 months they will sometimes provide a new router for
the cost of postage ( £6.99 ),
James will maybe confirm ( or not ) the possibility!
Edit:- Maybe James could also confirm whether there have been any disconnections from the radius logs. 
Community Veteran

I managed to get a BT Openreach socket and replaced my master socket with this. I had to put quite a long telephone cable from the socket to my router upstairs but my stats show a faster speed for doing it. I still don't think it's great - I had 6Mbps at my old house

Just reread your post and noticed that. You're never going to get 6mbps in the new house, you are just too far from the exchange. The 2800 you are getting is probably about as good as it gets fro that attenuation. However when the socket was changed was the ring wire left connected ?
If so this can cause increased noise and connection instability as it acts as an aerial! . Check and if its connected between the Master and extension sockets then disconnect it. See 'One last trick - remove the ringwire' on this link http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm
johpal
Grafter

Annie,
I've explained in another posting, I recently had a router die on me. In the 6 weeks, or so, before it failed, I was experiencing a number of seemingly unrelated problems. May I advise you try and beg, steal, or borrow another router, just to compare? Could PN be of assistance here?
Annie
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies guys. It's really odd but today, for about the first time since the house move, the router and connections all seem to be behaving themselves. My husband has turned the wireless adapter 90 degrees and this seems to have helped with his connection. He did have a yellow asterisk over the icon in the task bar when he switched on first thing but unplugging his adapter and plugging it back in worked this time. I also have not seen any dropouts from the internet today. I moved the router about 6 inches back and 5 inches higher up so maybe that's it.
Yesterday, I did a Windows update but surely this wouldn't be responsible for the improvement, would it? The update was IE8 - I didn't notice any security patches. As an aside, IE8 seems to have a bug in it. I get black bars across the toolbar and have to update my Windows theme every time I switch on in order to get rid of it (very annoying and I'm considering downgrading to IE7 again until they get this sorted out).
I've been with Plusnet for about 9 years so it would be nice if Plusnet were able to assist with a router. I'll keep monitoring things over the next few days.
Annie
Annie
Rising Star

Oh, I forgot to mention MisterW that I don't think there's an orange wire inside the socket, just a green and brown one if memory serves me correctly. And I think one of those wasn't connnected.
Annie
Community Veteran

Sometimes the colour convention is not adhered to. The best check is that wires should ONLY be connected to terminals 2 & 5 as described in the kitz link.
BTW I believe IE8 gives some problems with the Siemens web configurator.
adie:quote