cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended VoIP Hardware

Community Veteran

Recommended VoIP Hardware

OK hands up - although I'm very experinced in many telecom and internet systems - I've never used VoIP becuase I didn't have the need and my experince of neighbours using it on their ISP was very poor, and it seems tricky to set up ?.
But we need a new DECT phone in the office, and as we have some free minutes on our Teleworker account - I thought we might try it.
I seem to recall that there are some DECT phones that have as an alternative a  direct connection to an ethernet port on the router. ( We are using a Netgear 834N )
Was it a Seimens DEC/VoIP product that was recommended  ?Huh
Is it posssible that all incoming calls still come in on the normal BT line, by the VoIP giving out the normal BT land line ID

3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Recommended VoIP Hardware

Was it a Seimens DEC/VoIP product that was recommended  ?Huh

Yes, look at the Siemens C476/S^85 IP models or the recently release A580IP .
Is it posssible that all incoming calls still come in on the normal BT line, by the VoIP giving out the normal BT land line ID

Plusnet ( for a small one off fee - £5 ) will let you register your normal BT landline number with your Voip account so that your voip calls will issue that number as the 'Caller ID'
puddy
Grafter

The siemens range of Gigaset ip dect phone work as below
Box of tricks has 2 wires to connect 1 to your landline phone and the other  1 to your router, unlike most dect phones the master handset can be kept anyware
To make a BT (landline) call dial the number press the call button the call goes via BT
To make a voip call dial the number and press and hold the call button for 3 seconds the call goes voip.
You can change this a round if you wish.
If you have extra slave handsets you can make 1 BT call and voip calls on all other free handset not in use or receive voip calls
You do not need to have your computer on to make and receive calls
Its that easy to use even my partner can use it
VOIP call qualilty is on a par with a landline call
Puddy
ps dont forget  Nokia E65 N82 N95 N95-8GB N96 can make voip calls too even on the move if you can log on to a network (with permission)  some providers such as vodaphone take out the sip settings to stop you using cheaper calls
3 and 02 dont but you can de-brand the phone and then update the firmware doing this gets rid of all these network provider logo takes about 30min to do
Community Veteran

Thanks guys - I'll look into that  Smiley