cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations - Caller ID for PSTN through router/ATA

IndiaBravo
Grafter

Recommendations - Caller ID for PSTN through router/ATA

I've recently messed around with a Speedtouch 780 and have it successfully acting solely as an ATA able to initiate/receive both PSTN and SIP calls to my standard phone.
The one problem is that Caller ID shows for incoming IP calls but not PSTN, I believe this is due to the way Caller ID is sent on the line prior to the 780 switching and sending the call to the phone, so the phone doesn't receive the caller ID info.
Now, I'm wondering if anyone can advise if any of the other main alternatives (I'm attracted to the fritzbox) also have this issue or can recommend ones that somehow get around this.
My options are to just cancel Caller ID on my landline as now useless, or change to another AIO device that can pass Caller ID across from both SIP and PSTN (I'd prefer this as can then get rid of the Huawei modem, 582n and 780 which would be much better anyway)
Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Recommendations - Caller ID for PSTN through router/ATA

Is changing the phone an option?  The Gigaset IP range of DECT phones work well.  If you already have a DECT phone, the N300 IP basestation could be used.
I used to use a Sipura ATA but had endless echo and level problems,mainly with PSTN, but the Gigaset phone I have works much better.
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

I can confirm what pwatson says above about the Gigaset N300-IP base station.
I also use a DrayTek Vigor2920Vn which also passes Caller ID across from both SIP and PSTN.
dragon2611
Grafter

Guessing the Phone isn't switched directly though to the PSTN when not in use and that the 780 doesn't bothered to re-send the Caller-ID as it switches it.
CallerID is a set of FSK tones transmitted at the start of ringing, miss them and that's it.
pwatson
Rising Star

It's likely that 780 converts the PSTN call to VOIP internally and then back to analogue for the FXS port.   If so, the ATA needs to be configured to 'undestand' the UK CLID.
Try these commands in a telnet session to the router
:voice country config country=uk
:saveall
IndiaBravo
Grafter

Thanks pwatson, but dragon's correct (I've already tried your commands unfortunately) the switching process occurs after CLI is transmitted on the BT line (it's voip by default unless powered off) Thanks for the try though :-)
And thanks for the other updates - the draytek sounds like a goer. I'd prefer not to switch the handsets as just bought and pretty good, but a good option though.
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: IndiaBravo
... - the draytek sounds like a goer. I'd prefer not to switch the handsets as just bought and pretty good, but a good option though.

Bear in mind that the particular DrayTek I mentioned above does not have any type of modem incorporated, but there are several other models available which do.