cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend Me A VOIP Phone

NICK123

Recommend Me A VOIP Phone

I need a voip phone that can connect to my Router or even better a device that would turn a normal phone into a voip one. Of course the device needs to work with Plusnet Broadband Phone service.
I don't want a software phone or even a usb device... I need a device which would allow me to use the broadband phone service without the pc being on.
6 REPLIES
democdesignforu

Re: Recommend Me A VOIP Phone

I recommend the Grandstream HT486. It's a small black box. Your existing phone becomes a dual phone, VOIP or PSTN. It's easy to program. You need a sip account for the outgoing calls, I use voipcheap, and if you want an additional free geographic incoming number ( std of your choice) you can make that work too. You'll need some help to set it up, but I'm prepared to give this info over the forum.
puddy
Grafter

Cheap get a linksys PAP2 adapter for about £20 plug in to you router and plug a normal phone in to it
Or any siemens gigaset dect voip phone (450ip model or 460ip model) £75 It works as a normal cordless phone if you press the call button longer than 3 seconds or press call button stright a way and it will make the call over voip network extra hand set cost £32
or desk based phone grandstream GXP2000 £35 voip calls only
If you have a nokia E65 N82 N95 N95 8mg you can set it up over your own wireless router £free if you already have the phone
All work on plusnet voip network and you dont need to keep your computer on to make calls
puddy
Gary4391

I can recommend the Siemens Gigaset s685ip.  It is the first time I have tried using a SIP phone and I am very impressed.  It was simple to set up with my Plusnet Broadband Phone account and works with my BT fixed line, Plusnet, and upto five other SIP accounts (if you want i to).  The VOIP quality is fabulous.
puddy
Grafter

Most Siemens gigaset ip dect phone's allow free calls to other gigaset user/phones
Dial 1188#9 from the siemens phone and pick a nickname or see user manual or siemens web site for more info.
Some Siemens 450 460 475 and other models have a delay in sound for 5 seconds when making calls. 
If this happens contact Plusnet for a know fix. i.e dial **620 before any number. if you want plusnet can add the **620 precarrier fix to their database so you dont have to keep dialing it yourself raise a ticket or ask here
puddy
naughtymonkey04
Dabbler

HI NICK123
I've used a Siemens Gigaset C475ip phone for about a 3 months now and never had a problem with the phone. The qualitiy is great on voip and being able to use the fixed line without having to unplug wires and such like is well worth the £80. i spent. Its easy to set up if you need any help the is a thred on here some where that explains it all.
johpal
Grafter

I second puddy's suggestion of the Linksys PAPT2 adapter; it works brilliantly for me. Look out for the UK version though, unless you want to start messing about with tone settings, etc. Gradwell sell them.