Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recomend me a VOIP Router/Modem and Phone to use with router

markrach
Grafter

Recomend me a VOIP Router/Modem and Phone to use with router

OK
I'm jumping over to VOIP at the moment i'm useing a TG585v7 supplied by Plusnet but i'm after a router/modem ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ that i can plug a VOIP handset in as i'm not one for pluging in a handset to my PC (Not intending to use the BT landline nuber anymore)
cheers
Mark
9 REPLIES
paulby
Grafter

Re: Recomend me a VOIP Router/Modem and Phone to use with router

You don't need a new router - just buy an ATA (analog telephone adapter) which will plug into your existing router.
Have a look here
You just need to connect a standard phone to the ATA and off you go. (Remember to buy the RJ11 adapter so that you can connect a phone with a standard BT plug.)
(I've got a DECT phone connected to a Grandstream Handytone 286)
markrach
Grafter

Cheers for that , i was hoping to find a VOIP handset because my house phone is a little old and weathered and being as i'm going to use the VOIP service as my main phone number was wondering on a good package , does the TG585v7 need to be replaced with a router with VOIP ?
paulby
Grafter

The same site has a number of VoIP phones. (I've linked to the Grandstream ones but there are others if you use the menu on the left of the page).  You just need to plug the phone into a spare ethernet port on your current router.
A "VoIP" router is essentially a router plus ATA in one allowing you to plug a standard analog phone into the router.  If you're using an IP phone you just need to connect it straight to your existing router.
markrach
Grafter

Thank you  Wink will have a browse around that site
itsme
Grafter

Another option is to get a combined Mobile/VoIP phone. I'm currently using the Nokia 6300i and I'm very impressed after the initial problem of setting it up. Unfortunately none of the mobile operators supply it in this country but it can be purchased from Sipgate
deadkenny
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Another option is to get a combined Mobile/VoIP phone. I'm currently using the Nokia 6300i and I'm very impressed after the initial problem of setting it up. Unfortunately none of the mobile operators supply it in this country but it can be purchased from Sipgate

There are a number of Nokia's with WLAN and built in SIP support now (not all have full SIP support, so check carefully). Some of the E series and some N series, though those are all Series 60 phones mind (and all the problems that go with S60  Wink ). Though the 6300i is arguably better being S40, with WLAN and VoIP (fairly rare for S40).
One downside though is WLAN sucks battery life. Newer models are better, but don't expect to have the phone registered to a VoIP account all day and expect the battery to still have juice come the next day.
Note that you are best to stay clear of operator branded phones though as they have a habit of disabling stuff like SIP unless it's via their network and makes them money. If you're in the market for a smartphone it may be better value these days to buy a phone SIM free, especially if you don't need a high tariff which you'd normally need to get a so called "free" top of the range phone from an operator. They can also be used on any network.
puddy
Grafter

if you want to replace your home phone at the same time look at the siemens ip dect range i.e siemens gigaset C450 C460 C475 ip dect phones please make sure they have ip in model number
It plugs in to your router and in to your BT scoket.
It can be set up anyway you want  place a call over BT landline enter number press call button it goes via BT or enter number press call button and hold for 3 seconds and it routes the call via plusnets voip service.
The handset does not need to be near the base station that just sits near your router you can add more handsets, if a call is being made by 1 handset you can make 1 BT call or up to 4 voip calls on handsets that are not in use.
price about £50 to £60 and £35 per extra slave handsets.  Even my MRS can use it, its that simple.
VOIP setting are easy to input and if you know any other gigaset ip dect users you can make free calls to them too
cheaper option get a speedtouch 716wl router its 4 ports wireless adsl 2+ and has 2 built in voip ports price from about 99p on ebay
puddy
TBird1
Dabbler

Hi, I'm new to VOIP and  just wanted to ask for a recommendation . . .
I'm looking for an ATA to use at home with my new Plusnet service. I'd like the unit to allow my family to choose (using our existing standard handsets) whether to use PSTN or VOIP/SIPS when making an outbound call - is this possible ?
Based on above posts would this be recommended for my needs ?
http://www.voipon.co.uk/grandstream-handytone-286-analog-adaptor-p-146.html
Many thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

I'd like the unit to allow my family to choose (using our existing standard handsets) whether to use PSTN or VOIP/SIPS when making an outbound call - is this possible ?

Yes BUT not with the HandyTone 286. You need an ATA with a PSTN pass through port ( sometimes referred to as an FXO port ) if you want to choose PSTN or VOIP from the same handset.  In the HandyTone range you need to look at the 386 ,that has a PSTN pass though port.