cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random disconnects PAP2

dgp
Grafter

Random disconnects PAP2

Every few days my PAP2 disconnects and I get the 'cannot connect to server' message.  Rebooting the PAP2 makes no difference, the only thing that enables a reconnection is my changing the mapped SIP port from 5061 to 5060 and vice-versa.  This is not a problem for outgoing calls as I can change the SIP port myself.  However, if I don't notice it means that incoming calls go straight to voicemail.  I've got port forwarding for 5060 to 5062 UDP and TCP enabled on the router, so I don't think thats it.
Any suggestions appreciated.  Thanks.
12 REPLIES
dgp
Grafter

Re: Random disconnects PAP2

I've had no responses but have just noticed teldanet's contributions to this http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,61091.msg497493.html#msg497493
and this http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,61375.msg497470.html#msg497470 ; about the STUN server not being needed.  So I have now disabled STUN and will wait to see what happens.
puddy
Grafter

He right on the trial voip (gradwel) no stun service needs to be activated.  Have you checked all your setting?
I have listed many times what the pap2 settings should be! but here goes again

Line One Info Basic setup
Line Enable:  yes
sip port :5060
proxy :sip2.plus.net                  Register: Yes
Make Call Without Reg: No      Register Expires: 3600
Ans Call Without Reg  :  No
Display Name: sip  id number    User ID: sip id number
Password: sip password          Use Auth ID: Yes
Auth ID: sip id number
                                  Audio Configuration   
Preferred Codec:G7LLu            Silence Supp Enable: no
Use Pref Codec Only:No          FAX CED Detect Enable:No
DTMF Tx Method: INFO
solve one way audio and may be needed to make phone ring

Line 1  Advance Settings
Proxy and Registration 
Outbound Proxy:nat.plus.net:5082
save settings
puddy
Help offered/equipment used
Grandstream GXP2000
Linksys PAP-2
Linksys spa 3000 uk spec
Speedtouch 716wl v5
Siemens 460 ip dect phone
dgp
Grafter

Hi - Thanks.  Yes all the other settings were fine.  The STUN was left over from when I used the standard VOIP and I hadn't thought to change it until teldanet's contributions.  I have no idea what STUN does and why it would cause problems though, but I seem to remember it was a requirement for the standard VOIP.
RichSmol
Grafter

This is a useful link if you wish to know more -
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-STUN
I think the 'closing words' section puts STUN into perspective quite well!
dgp
Grafter

Thanks.  Slightly wiser than before, but you're right its the most understandable description of STUN that I've come across!!!!
dgp
Grafter

I thought it had been fixed.  But it disconnected yesterday after a week and the only means of reconnecting was to change the SIP port as I did before, so STUN was not the answer.  I'll need to keep a log as it may be something that happens once every seven days, but nothing springs to mind.
RichSmol
Grafter

I suggest that you monitor this over a week and let me know when it happens again, detailing what symptoms you have each time it happens and what you did to remedy it. Hopefully each instance will be exactly the same and we can take a look at your config, trace the call and see whats happening.
dgp
Grafter

Thanks.  Will do.
dgp
Grafter

Hi.  I thought everything was going well until today when I got the email message 'The SIP ID ******* which has been connected since 2008-03-05 08:37:11, went offline at 2008-03-16 18:57:26.
The IP address your account was connected from was 194.**.**.*** and identified as Linksys/PAP2-3.1.22(LS).'
As before I managed to reconnect by changing the SIP port to 5060 from 5061.  My IP address begins 80 and my internal IP addresses begin 192.  Any help appreciated.
Thanks
puddy
Grafter

does your router loose connection to the web at the same time?
Do you have a choice in your router to leave it on all the time i.e 24/7 or do you switch it off when not surfing/night time?
I would say to do a full reset on the PAP2 NA but if its nicked from vonage (as most from hongkong/china/ebay are) it may relock itself to the Vonage network so becareful here
puddy
dgp
Grafter

Hi - My router is continually connected so it shouldn't disconnect by itself.  My PAP 2 isn't ex-Vonage, but I am a bit reluctant to do a full reset, just in case I can't get it working again and I won't know for a week or so whether it has fixed the problem.
I will leave it longer and see when the PAP2 disconnects again, just in case there is a pattern.  It mau be, of course, just one of those things that I have to accept.  Interestingly I do not seem to get the same problem with the other line which is connected to Sipgate.
LFaulkner
Dabbler

Re Puddy's suggestions for configuration, I've found that I have to have DTMF Tx Method set to Auto rather than INFO for it to work.