cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re Speedtouch 716w & Plusnet

grovep
Dabbler

Question re Speedtouch 716w & Plusnet

Hi, after a little research on this forum I "splashed" out on a refurbished Speedtouch 716wl VOIP router.  I have managed to register the router (thanks to info on this forum) with Plusnet but have some further questions that perhaps someone can help with.
1.  At the moment just got one phone plugged into the router and I have successfully dialled out and in using voip.  However I do not seem to be able to switch over to the PSTN line.  I have tried *01* and 9 but no success.  The "forced FXO" service is not listed in the telephone service list on the web interface is this the reason?  Any suggestions?
2.  I see I have a PSTN number assigned to me by Plusnet is that the only way people can get through to me?  I seem to remember a while ago when I last dabbled that people could contact each other via their SIP or IP address (or is this the extension number in our case?)  If this is still the case what is the format of the number that people use?
3.  Do I need to set the router up regarding how it will behave if VOIP is not available ie will it swicth automatically to PSTN?  Do I need to use a code?  I seem to remember there were different levels but cannot see anything in the web interface.
Thanks
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Question re Speedtouch 716w & Plusnet

1.  At the moment just got one phone plugged into the router and I have successfully dialled out and in using voip.  However I do not seem to be able to switch over to the PSTN line.  I have tried *01* and 9 but no success.  The "forced FXO" service is not listed in the telephone service list on the web interface is this the reason?  Any suggestions?

I think you'll find this post useful http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,68265.0.html
2.  I see I have a PSTN number assigned to me by Plusnet is that the only way people can get through to me?  I seem to remember a while ago when I last dabbled that people could contact each other via their SIP or IP address (or is this the extension number in our case?)  If this is still the case what is the format of the number that people use?

You need to use the appropriate peering prefix followed by the allocated phone number prefixed by 44 and drop the 0. See this post for more info and list of peering prefixes http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,65779.0.html.
In theory you should also be able to use the peering prefix followed by the sip id but I always get voicemail when I try that to my PlusNet account!! Seem to recall you should also be able to use 'sip id'@sip.plus.net but not sure about that and its a bit tricky from a normal phone keypad!!
3.  Do I need to set the router up regarding how it will behave if VOIP is not available ie will it swicth automatically to PSTN?  Do I need to use a code?  I seem to remember there were different levels but cannot see anything in the web interface.

Can't answer that one I'm afraid , you need someone more knowledgable on the 716.
grovep
Dabbler

1.  That link you give I have already looked at - that is my point the *01* or the 9 do not seem to work nor is "forced fxo" listed in the services. 
2.  Thanks for the link - it seems that things have moved on significantly since I last dabbled in voip
3.  Any thoughts on this?
Thanks
syell

this http://blueeyedcreature.net/blog/?page_id=167 explains how to activate "ForcedFXO" for switching to PSTN with a code .
Worked for me with Speedtouch 716WL version 5.
Now I'll try changing the code ...