Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality of service

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quality of service

A much more pleasant voice is now used in the 160 echo test.  However, it would have been a further improvement if the script had been changed to replace "press the pound key" to "press the hash key!"

More importantly, the Gradwell VoIP service for PlusNet users is now of high quality and reliability.  Most satisfactory.  Many thanks.

Regards.........Noel
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Quality of service

I'm not sure that I agree. In the last 10 days I've had to report two issues with the service.
I know I keep banging on about this but a phone service needs to be more reliable. I can't remember the last time I had an issue with my landline and I think that voip needs to approach the same levels of reliability.
I our house I'm having to repeatedly explain why our Siemens Gigaset phone doesn't work when the family want to make a call (it's programmed to always use voip for 01/02/03 numbers). They are close to stopping using it.
Am I expecting too much?
Bob
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Am I expecting too much?

I dont think so Bob.
BTW as an immediate ( temporary ! ) solution to the family having issues with the Gigaset can you not use the
'Automatic fallback to Fixed line' facility which came in with firmware 2184.
Its detailed in the extension to the user guide on page 16 here http://download.gigaset.com/repository/1692/169254/C47xIP_S6x5IP_OnlineUpdate_V02184_en_Internationa...
johpal
Grafter

My VoIP service keeps falling over too. At least 3 times a day I receive emails telling me my service has gone offline. Each time I check the 'phone, (Siemens C375 IP) everything seems OK, but on 2 occasions I did need to reboot my router to get the service up again. My teenage daughter too is close to rebellion, threatening to boycott the VoIP connection in favour of the landline, because of reliability issues. This defeats the object; she can talk for England...  Wink
Community Veteran

At least 3 times a day I receive emails telling me my service has gone offline.

I've got a Gigaset and I've not received any of those for a while now!!
but on 2 occasions I did need to reboot my router to get the service up again

Are you sure your Internet connection isnt dropping and the emails are in fact legitimate ?
puddy
Grafter

I dont get any e-mails at all.
If the kids are having problems change the setup round so they can only make voip calls.
My partner will only  use the gigaset phone to make voip calls I have told her that she can make voip calls on her nokia e65 but she wont use it and she wont use my office grandstream GXP2000 phone at all.
She use to compain about me running up a £80 phone bill now we only pay line rental all our calls are free
puddy
Community Veteran

@MisterW - I've got the "'Automatic fallback to Fixed line" option enabled but it hasn't worked with the last couple of problems I've had. Maybe it only works if the service actually goes off-line. For both my recent problems, the service was on-line but I was struggling to make outbound calls.
@ johpal - I get one of these e-mails about every two weeks but I don't believe that they are connected with my recent problems.
@ Puddy - I have got my Gigaset set-up to only use the voip line for 01/02/03 calls and that's the problem. When the service isn't working properly, the family think that the Gigaset isn't working so they revert to using one of the other landline phones in the house. For this reason the Gigaset is getting a bad reputation and is in danger of not being used.
Yes we can save money on call charges (if we couldn't then would we be using voip?) but in my case, this is in danger of being eroded by the unreliability of the service.
Ok, I'll stop whinging now  Wink
Bob
Community Veteran

I've got the "'Automatic fallback to Fixed line" option enabled but it hasn't worked with the last couple of problems I've had. Maybe it only works if the service actually goes off-line. For both my recent problems, the service was on-line but I was struggling to make outbound calls.

Yes, when I thought after I posted, I guessed you probably would. As you say it only works if it can't contact the registrar server. My guess in this case is that the fault is in Gradwell's outgoing PSTN gateway. Thus as far as the Gigaset is concerned the voip IS available it's just that the Gradwell system fails to route your call out to the PSTN. Sad
fotobits
Rising Star

How very fickle the VoIP service seems to be!  I used to feel that I was the only one who had the problems, both with clarity and reliability.  However, for some months now and I think following server changes at the Gradwell end, I've enjoyed a splendid service.
I don't use digital 'phones....which I used to think was why I had poor clarity....I use four conventional home 'phones and a Zyxel adapter, giving the ability to choose either a VoIP call or a landline call at the instrument.
Regards.....Noel
fotobits
Rising Star

Bob Boulby
I have no knowledge of digital 'phones, however, is the problem you are experiencing caused by the failure of the 'phone to re-register it's connection following a failure of the broadband connection or failure of power?
A year or so ago my telephone adapter failed to reliably re-register following a broadband or power failure and this was cured by disabling the SIP ALG setting on the router (apparently an unreliable feature on many routers) and activating Outbound Proxy in the adapter with the setting "natproxy.plus.net" Port 5082.
Perhaps this is irrelevant with regard to the digital 'phone....if so, apologies!
Regards.....Noel
Community Veteran

A year or so ago my telephone adapter failed to reliably re-register following a broadband or power failure and this was cured by disabling the SIP ALG setting on the router (apparently an unreliable feature on many routers)

I dont think that's Bob's problem as his Gigaset is registered , otherwsie it would automatically fallback to PSTN. Sad
It might be Johpal's problem though... Smiley
Community Veteran

Hi Noel
I'm pretty sure that the two problems I'm referring to have not been down to my own equipment. The one yesterday (cannot dial some numbers) was confirmed by James Bailey but went away before they could investigate the cause. The one from about 10 days ago was also reported by others on this forum.
Bob
johpal
Grafter

@MisterW
Just to be certain, I've checked my router settings; all looks in order. I know I have a v-e-r-y long line and I used to have lots of problems with it in the early broadband days, but a BT engineer fixed most of them. I guess my service drops momentarily without notice during general surfing, VoIP is just more susceptible?
Thanks.