cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prefered Encoder with Beta VOIP

PL

Prefered Encoder with Beta VOIP

I've used the service for the first time today and all seems well. I used to have problems connecting to the sip.plus.net server and sometimes it would drop the connection during a conversation - it'll be interesting to see how this fares.
I was wondering if anyone can advise as to which encoder would be the best to use with this service, I connect via a Grandstream 486 with 1.0.6.7 firmware.
thanks
Phil
3 REPLIES
vof
Grafter

Re: Prefered Encoder with Beta VOIP

The Gradwell support portal has a page for configuring the Grandstream range http://www.gradwell.net/support/grandstream
but it does not seem to mention codecs.
I use a Sipura SPA-1001. On the Gradwell page for configuring this ATA, they say:
"By Default we support the G711a or G711u Codecs but if you are using multiple phones on your broadband connection, or you have a low bandwidth internet connection, then in the Audio Configuration section we recommend you choose G729a as the Preferred Codec. This will allow the phone to use less bandwidth where possible.
Please note that if you wish to use G729a you will need to request that this codec is enabled for your extension."
I left my ATA at its default G711u setting (which is what I used for PlusTalk and still use for Sipgate.)
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: PL
I've used the service for the first time today and all seems well. I used to have problems connecting to the sip.plus.net server
thanks
Phil

the sip setting for the beta version should be sip2.plus.net
puddy
PL

VOF
Thanks for the info I'll check it out when I'm back next week.
Puddy
Sorry, what I meant was that the sip.plus.net server did not provide me with a reliable connection and I'm hoping that the sip2 will be much better. I also used to experience intermittent "feedback" and am crossing my fingers that with a change of service it has now been rectified.
cheers
Phil