cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet VoIP SJPhone Authentication Failure

whattheh

Plusnet VoIP SJPhone Authentication Failure

I have just upgraded to option 2 with 120 inclusive minutes of VoIP. I have downloaded the SJPhone software and followed the set up instructions carefully, double and treble checked! However I cannot make calls, the phone shows a message "PlusNet VoIP Service unavailable" followed by either "Authentication Failed" or "server not responding".  I have switched the SJPhone to advanced mode and the message reads : PlusNet VoIP SIP: failed to register as sip:%20xxxxxx9@sip.plus.net Host address 192.168.1.3 NAT/Firewall:'NAT of unknown type' before reverting to 'Port restricted cone . I havn't got a clue what this means but it sounds like it matters.
I am using SJPhone  1.65.377a and Windows XP Home with SP3. I have a BT Voyager 2110 router with a wired connection to this PC (wireless for the rest of my network). I have the default dynamic IP address.
I have entered the settings as per the set up guide i.e. Name: PlusNet VoIP, Domain/Realm : sip.plus.net (with or without :5060), use outbound proxy, Proxy (URI): sip:nat.plus.net:5082 I have also tried natproxy.plus.net:5082 after reading a response on the forum, Proxy usage smart. I entered the Account and password as the SIP ID and SIP password as per the email from plusnet by copying and pasting to eliminate errors.
I have tried disabling my firewall (Zone Alarm 8.0.065.000) and the PlusNet Firewall which is set at low anyway. Neither made any difference. It makes no difference if I switch off NAT in the Voyager 2110 configuration manager, SJPhone still shows server not responding.  I fear that switching these things off leaves me vulnerable.
One curiosity is that if I select the SIP direct service the SJPhone says that it is ready to call, it is only PlusNet VoIP that fails to authenticate, I hope I am right in thinking that it is PlusNet VoIP that I need to dial landlines?
I have raised a ticket but after a number of exchanges I have been told that the account functions OK so the problem must lie with my settings/set-up. It has been suggested that I "forward the appropriate ports to my computer". I have no idea what this means nor how to do it, nor indeed what the 'appropriate' ports may be! I think I have read on the forum that port forwarding should not be neccessary though.
I would like to use my included minutes, but not at the expense of the security of my network. It seems to me that it is unlikely that I am the only user with this set-up as the 2110 was supplied with my broadband connection. I would be very grateful for any assistance with this, my apologies for such a lengthy first post, I have tried to anticipate the requests for further info!
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Plusnet VoIP SJPhone Authentication Failure

I hope I am right in thinking that it is PlusNet VoIP that I need to dial landlines?

Yes , you're right.
It has been suggested that I "forward the appropriate ports to my computer". I have no idea what this means nor how to do it, nor indeed what the 'appropriate' ports may be! I think I have read on the forum that port forwarding should not be neccessary though.

Port forwarding shouldnt be neccesssary with an outbound proxy. Even without it , a lack of port forwarding wont prevent registration, it will only affcet incoming calls and/or audio.
Ok, so what might be wrong, you seem to have tried most things...
That SIP ID doesnt look right to me though, they are usually 7 digits not  9.
Ah! , I wonder is the %20 actually a space , check that you havent got a space before your sip id ( possibly due to the cut and paste).
Let me know if that works.
Community Veteran

I have tried disabling my firewall (Zone Alarm 8.0.065.000) and the PlusNet Firewall which is set at low anyway. Neither made any difference. It makes no difference if I switch off NAT in the Voyager 2110 configuration manager, SJPhone still shows server not responding.  I fear that switching these things off leaves me vulnerable.

BTW none of these should affect voip. Make sure you put them back on...
whattheh

Thanks Mr W. I think you were right about the SIP ID, I have re-entered it manually. Now the error message on SJPhone reads"PlusNet VoIP SIP:failed to register as sip:8xxxxx9@sip.plus.net  Host address:192.168.1.3  NAT/FirewallTongueort Restricted Cone NAT", I still can't connect. Incidentally I re-entered the passwaord manually too, just in case pasting that had caused a problem.
The latest reply to my 'ticket' is still suggesting port forwarding which you and others have said should not be required, a little worrying that and, although I have started to read into it, I am reluctant to try it unless there is a consensus. Incidentally I had reinstated my firewalls and NAT (thanks), I am profoundly uncomfortable taking any action that reduces my security!
I have read other posts where the problem has been to do with the way the account is set up, a PlusNet staff member has intervened to put things right then (Rich Smolenski), could that be the problem here or does the fact that the 'Help Assistant' responses say that the account functions OK rule that out?
Fixes: 101

Have you got uPnP enabled in your router?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

@whathteh
For your privacy I suggest you blank the details of your sip id.
whattheh

Yes uPnP is enabled on my router (whatever that means!) and I have followed Santiago's advice ref my privacy,  thanks to you both.
Community Veteran

@Santiago,
Good point , especially as that's (was) the correct SIP ID now.
@whattheh,
I called your sip id and got straight to voicemail but at least that means the sip id is correct now.
Your problem still appears to be an authorisation issue and I've not seen that caused by router configuration issues e.g port forwarding etc. There was a similar problem a few days ago ( see this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,73105.0.html) which was down to a SIP password issue.
Can I suggest you try changing your SIP password as described in that thread. If that doesnt work then you could try the X-Lite suggestion in that thread. X-Lite can be configured to generate quite detailed log files. You can generate one as described in that thread and either check it yourself , or you are welcome to PM it to me and I'll look at it and see if I can identify the problem.
NB you can download X-Lite ( free edition ) from here http://www.counterpath.net/X-Lite-Download.html if neccessary.
Hope that helps.
Any queries then post back.
Community Veteran

More information after a bit of digging...
Some routers have what's called a SIP ALG ( Application Layer Gateway ) onboard and this can cause problems when it is not implemented correctly. This blog http://mrblog.org/2004/10/27/bt-appears-to-be-blocking-third-party-voip/ seems to indicate that the BT Voyager 21xx might be one of these.
Two options , you could delve into the router and try and disable it as per the blog OR you could try the X-Lite approach first. From the X-Lite log it will be possible to confirm whether the response to the SIP registration request is getting back or whether it is being blocked by the router. If it is, only then do you need to delve into the router to disable it.
whattheh

Hi, neither changing the SIP password nor disabling SIP ALG has made any difference (although I suspect altering the ALG settings is more complicated than just disabling;  the blog speaks of telneting into the router to undo things, I don't know where to start with that!). I will try the xlite approach and report back, may take me a little time though. Thanks for all your efforts.
Community Veteran

Oh dear , it looks like this one isn't going to be easy...
I've PM'd you with details on how to enable the diagnostics on X-Lite. The log file is pretty verbose but its not difficult to find the relevant bits.
When you get round to trying it you can either look at it yourself or you are welcome to send me the file and I'll take a look at it. If you want to look at the log file yourself drop me a reply to the PM with your email and I will send you an example of the significant bits of the log file to look for.
If you need any help configuring X-Lite then either post back or PM me.
Community Veteran

Well guys, I think we've eventually solved this one. Turns out that both 'whattheh' and myself had manged to get the sip password wrong Embarrassed
The password ended with '1lu'  and looking at it from webmail ( on a windows box ) it looked like 'llu' to me and
apparently '11u' to whattheh. What a daft password to issue, talk about inviting confusion!!
TBH I had thought about the ambiguity issue and had tried various combinations , but obviously not the right one  Roll eyes
Why, you say, did I not use copy and paste from the email, well thats where it all started since a copy and paste had introduced a space at the front of the sip id...
Once I'd seen the password on my Linux email client ( with different font to the windows ) all became clear.
I guess if it hadnt been for the few recent problems with new accounts I wouldnt have been as convinced it was a faulty account.
Anyway, as they say, I guess 'all's well that ends well' and whattheh is now enjoying his voip!
Community Veteran

Great Job. Well Done
whattheh

As MisterW says this is finally cracked and I can use VoIP. I am truly greatful to all contributers, but particularly to MisterW who has supplied considerable additional support via PMs and email. Although I am fairly computer literate I had not come across the problem with ones and lower case Ls before. On my computer, presumably due to the font in use, 'one ELL' was indistiguishable from eleven although it seems in another font it looks like ELL ELL. When I entered the password manually it was always wrong, ironically I had originally copied and pasted the password and the sip id to avoid any such error but had inadvertantly included a space in the sip id, I entered manually after that producing the same result for a different reason. So learning has occurred here!
A final irony, this was my first venture on to the forum, so I had to decide on my name for the forum.
Whattheh is a truncated version of  "what the 'ell", positively prophetic as it transpires!!