cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Broadband Phone VoIP - Setting Up

NotSoNaff
Grafter

Plusnet Broadband Phone VoIP - Setting Up

As a complete newbie I have just scratched the surface so far, after a considerable struggle to obtain the Control Panel Username and Password. Eventually some kind soul in Plusnet CS sent a message containing ALL the information needed, that resolved the problem of having to open multiple messages to extract individual pieces of information. Pity the message was too late to save the waste of time compiling a ‘crib sheet’ but it did serve to cross check and correct my handiwork.
The first part of the project plan was to go with SJPhone, but this proved to be Non functional with Mac OS X Lion, and Plusnet CS directed me to ‘ZoIPer’ pointing out some of it’s shortcomings.
I have no issues with the limitations as it is just an exercise to make sure I could get VoIP functional, and this proved to present no real problems.
For any interested Mac users Plusnet advise that apparently SJ Labs currently have no plans to update SJPhone to accommodate Lion.
Turning to the main objective of hooking up my Hardware to the system has thrown up a few of points for which, although having extensively searched this Forum and the Help pages needed details still manage to escape me, I hope some of you knowledgeable folk will be able to offer answers.
1. In my Control Panel > Account Management > Deleted Extensions, there is an Extension which is probably the result of the foul up over delayed access due to the lack of Username and Password early on.
As this first Extension has been deposited in this location, rather than being completely removed, perhaps there is a valid reason?
I am reluctant to just hit the Restore Button in case it causes problems.
I do not imagine it will be possible to operate two Extensions, as except for the terminology they seem to be separate Accounts, can anyone confirm this?
Alternatively perhaps one could be set up e.g, for VoIPer, and the Extension in use set up for the Hardware enabling switching between ‘set ups’?
2. Having set up for VoIPer will this inhibit the set up of the Hardware, i.e, is it possible to operate 2 Devices in parallel or will the Soft Phone have to be removed completely?
If the Soft Phone does not have to be removed completely what are the requirements, if any, is it a case of hitting the Unregister Button - Quitting the Application - Not Starting the Application - or whatever?
3. The SIP Domain and SIP Proxy information varied between the 2 Extension detail sets received, perhaps I am wrong to assume these would be the same or could it be an administrative error?
If these details are not different for each Account what should the current input be?
Any input gratefully received, thanks for reading this far.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Plusnet Broadband Phone VoIP - Setting Up

Hi NotSoNaff
Quote from: NotSoNaff
1. In my Control Panel > Account Management > Deleted Extensions, there is an Extension which is probably the result of the foul up over delayed access due to the lack of Username and Password early on.
As this first Extension has been deposited in this location, rather than being completely removed, perhaps there is a valid reason?
I am reluctant to just hit the Restore Button in case it causes problems.
I do not imagine it will be possible to operate two Extensions, as except for the terminology they seem to be separate Accounts, can anyone confirm this?
Alternatively perhaps one could be set up e.g, for VoIPer, and the Extension in use set up for the Hardware enabling switching between ‘set ups’?

I’m not sure about this, I don’t have the “Deleted Extensions” option. If it's working with VoIPer then I think I’d leave it as it is.
2. Having set up for VoIPer will this inhibit the set up of the Hardware, i.e, is it possible to operate 2 Devices in parallel or will the Soft Phone have to be removed completely?
If the Soft Phone does not have to be removed completely what are the requirements, if any, is it a case of hitting the Unregister Button - Quitting the Application - Not Starting the Application - or whatever?

You can operate 2 or more devices at the same time. You don’t say what your hardware is but there should be no problem in operating it along side VoIPer.
3. The SIP Domain and SIP Proxy information varied between the 2 Extension detail sets received, perhaps I am wrong to assume these would be the same or could it be an administrative error?
If these details are not different for each Account what should the current input be?

The sip domain and sip proxy server should both be “sip.plus.net” on port 5060. The outbound proxy server should be “natproxy.plus.net” on port 5082. I’ve attached a screen shot from my Siemens Gigaset if that helps.

Good luck and feel free to come back with any furhter questions if you're still having problems.
Bob
NotSoNaff
Grafter

Thanks for your input Bob, it largely supports the ‘official’ information just stumbled across in the BB Phone Support pages.
Unfortunately other ‘chores’ beckon and I will have to take break from this project now, but will carry on again early in the new year returning here with an update.
Very best wishes,
NSN

NotSoNaff
Grafter

Due to a ‘change of plan’ I was able to resume this project much sooner than anticipated, and on the 24th December 2011 managed to Register my Internet Telephone Number on my Router Modem.
The latter event was all down to perseverance, getting tired and just a bit bored making endless inputs then ultimately making a mistake.
I found that the Router Modem User Interface did not respond properly to minor changes in SIP Domain/Registrar/Provider/whatever or Proxy Server Addresses.
To save a lot of typing and, in my case miss typing, I took to removing the checkmark from a Checkbox alongside this statement:
Use Internet telephone number for registration
This had the effect of forcing a refresh and produced a new Report in the Event Log.
My ‘mistake’ was forgetting to replace the checkmark after one such use, and my Internet Telephone Number was Registered with the Router Modem.
This was an unexpected result and a very welcome ‘present’ to use the following day.
I have, of course, taken this up with the Manufacturer of the Router Modem, and I have had to recourse to a ScreenShot of the offending User Interface page suitably adorned with graphics and annotations in order to fully convey the detail of the issue.
Watch this space for progress. Cheers, NSN
NotSoNaff
Grafter

Update on the above post.
I contacted the Manufacturer regarding the need to leave unchecked a checkmark box, labelled:
Use Internet telephone number for registration
In order to Register the Internet Telephone.
They inform me:
As far as I understand, the Internet number is registered when the option
"use Internet number for registration" is unchecked. The setting of this
option depends on the individual SIP provider and should be set
accordingly. In your case, leave this option unchecked. When using other
SIP providers, you may have to check this option
.’
Not the most helpful and obviously in need of rectification by way of labelling at least, someone is reading it the wrong way around but then that could be me?
Hopefully this will catch the eye of Plusnet Staff and save hanging on the phone?
When I signed up for Broadband Phone it included Anytime Minutes.
I was charged Pro-Rata for the days until my Billing Date and although the usable time was halved again by delays I am relaxed about accepting the charge.
When I received my Bill near the end of last month the Anytime Minutes were listed a £0.00, so I have been expecting a request to pay.
Then whilst trawling my account I find the Anytime Minutes are showing as £0.00, very nice if you can get it but the last thing I need is a bill for a lump sum of dosh that I may not have at the time a demand for payment.
This whole experience has not been one of my best and I really would like it to be sorted properly.
I have just checked on the Member Centre Broadband Phone pages and ‘Anytime’ costs £4.88. [Note to self - that is the ‘Anytime’ that lives with BB Phone]
There is no mention of this charge on my Bill, by referring to earlier Bills ‘Anytime Minutes’ is in fact the Line Rental [the Plusnet Terminology bug strikes again]. I do not have any ‘Anytime Minutes’ for the next 11 months [1 has just been used] because of the Advance Line Rental scheme [Oh, Line Rental in this case = Line Rental].
So what is it Plusnet folks:
1. Has somebody failed in their duty and not charged me? Roll eyes
2. Has somebody  ‘tripped’ over their teminology?  Undecided
3. Have I been let of the hook for a month by way of compensation [well u gotta try]  Cool
4. Or?  Embarrassed  Cry  Angry
Best regards, NSN
EDIT:
Having spotted the ‘correct’ Forum area to ask the above I have submitted a request at:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101635.0.html