cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusTalk VOIP Calling Line Identification (CLI)

petermaughan
Grafter

PlusTalk VOIP Calling Line Identification (CLI)

Hello,
Today I received a questionnaire on Plus Talk VOIP and there wasn't much room for comment so I thought I would expand a bit here.
Outgoing VOIP calls from PlusTalk show up at the receiving end as "number WITHHELD", so the person I'm calling can't see that it's me.  I don't like this very much. 
Some VOIP services can show the Calling Line Identifier as the number provided for incoming calls.  PlusTalk users are given an 0845 number for incoming calls and this should be shown as the outgoing CLI.
It is not just that I don't like to hide my identity.  Some of my contacts refuse incoming calls where the CLI is withheld, so I cannot get through to them on PlusTalk.  I would be able to use PlusTalk much more if my incoming 0845 number was put out as the CLI.
Best wishes to all VOIP users,
J Peter Maughan
10 REPLIES
puddy
Grafter

Re: PlusTalk VOIP Calling Line Identification (CLI)

CLI depends what device you are using for voipcalls. mine got a place to display the number (linksys pap2-na) not checked if it works though and I think you may even be able to put in any number  I use sipgate a lot but use my voip from F9 for outgoing calls.
I dont like having an 0870 number but f9 do say this is going to change soon
puddy
petermaughan
Grafter

Having just got started on the Granwell Broadband Phone Beta Trials I can report that the CLI works in both directions, incoming and outgoing, on the interface to the ordianary telephone line.
That is very pleasing.  It means that I can use the Broadband Phone for all my outgoing calls and my CLI will be visible to the person I call.
Peter
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

As Peter has mentioned CLI is presented on the new Gradwell-partnered VoIP platform. Not only this but you can choose a geographical (01/02) number instead of the 0870 number you'll currently be assigned. Further details on the trial here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

AndrewMBaines
Dabbler

Is it possible to disable CLI on outgoing calls in the trial? I use a regular landline for incoming calls as I don't quite trust VOIP yet. I'd like to either disable CLI or display a different number.
Thanks
Andrew
Ianwild
Grafter

Yep - Just put 141 before the number you wish to call as you would normally and the CLI will be withheld.
Ian
AndrewMBaines
Dabbler

Is there no way to register for anonymity as per BT? My concern is that I don't want people to call me on a number I'm not using for incoming calls.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: AndrewMBaines
Is there no way to register for anonymity as per BT? My concern is that I don't want people to call me on a number I'm not using for incoming calls.

I think if you have a linksys PAP2 you remove the info in display name it may work with other devices under that heading?
Puddy
AndrewMBaines
Dabbler

Ah well. I can cope with 1470 if it only stays during the beta, but it looks like I'm off to get my broadband phone from someone else.
RichSmol
Grafter

You can dial 141 before you dial the number and this will ensure that the CLI is not presented on the call - the same as BT dialing rules.
If you have the option available you can probably set this up as a default in your hardware/softphone dialing rules pages so that the 141 is dialed automatically before you type in the number.
AndrewMBaines
Dabbler

BT let me have it turned on by default on my account, not on my hardware setting.
Turns out it doesn't really matter as I can redirect the plusnet number to my proper number.