cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet VOIP on BT Home Hub?

Community Veteran

PlusNet VOIP on BT Home Hub?

Does anyone know if PlusNet's VOIP service works with the BT Home Hub? There doesn't appear to be a manual configuration option for BT's Broadband Talk package; you have to go to a web site which downloads the configuration to the router. Heaven forfend Joe User should get access to it...
Presumably PlusNet's VOIP service can only be set up by entering the required details in the router?  Sad
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: PlusNet VOIP on BT Home Hub?

Presumably PlusNet's VOIP service can only be set up by entering the required details in the router?

Yep, but you might find this http://www.josephn.net/bt_home_hub_and_voip useful, but I guess it depends on which version of the Home Hub you have.
Community Veteran

Quote from: MisterW
I guess it depends on which version of the Home Hub you have.

It's a 2.0B and I understand that's totally different under the hood from the earlier versions - 1.0/1.5/2.0A were SpeedTouch, the 2.0B is Sagem.
Community Veteran

I would guess that PlusNet voip with that's a no-no then.
Community Veteran

that's a no-no then.

Ho hum...  Undecided
puddy
Grafter

Jaggies  do you have a nokia mobile phone that can make voip calls? i.e E65 N82 N95 N95-8GB N97-mini N900
You could pick up a cheap Nokia E65 to start with make sure its been de-branded (vodafone) and sim free on ebay
Puddy
Community Veteran

Hi
Quote from: puddy
Jaggies  do you have a nokia mobile phone that can make voip calls?

No.
make sure its been de-branded (vodafone) and sim free on ebay

Vodafone is my mobile supplier, however, looking at prices on Ebay for used phones I could get an Analogue Telephone Adaptor (ATA) for not much more cash. Going the VOIP phone route would actually cost less than a new Nokia E65, if I go for one of the the cheaper options.
Still not in a hurry to progress this at this stage, although I would like to get it going eventually.
Community Veteran

I could get an Analogue Telephone Adaptor (ATA) for not much more cash

If you're going to go down the voip phone/ATA route then do have a look at the Gigaset dual DECT phones, you can pick up the base model A580IP http://gigaset.com/hq/en/category/CategoryInternetPhones.html for less than £50 http://www.idealo.co.uk/compare/1176190/siemens-gigaset-a580-ip-single.html ( or about £70 with two handsets ) They are easy to setup and work really well with both voip and landline. If you also need an answerphone then look at the C475IP.
Community Veteran

If you're going to go down the voip phone/ATA route then do have a look at the Gigaset dual DECT phones

Thanks for the suggestions.
puddy
Grafter

@Jaggies
Guess you are looking at a Linksys PAP2T £20 -£30 Nokia E65 cost about £35 (ebay)
The only reason I said about using a mobile phone to make voip calls on is because you may already have a nokia that could do voip calls.
The E65 is not much more money than a PAP2T but you cannot use it on the go anywhere in the world.
In addition most PAP2T come from Hong Kong and there have been reports of them be counterfeited in large numbers in China
If It was my money and I wanted to start off cheaply I would go for the Nokia E65 just look at so many cafes bars cities Hotels all now offering free Wi-Fi all over the world.
One trip abroad the e65 could pay for itself
puddy
Community Veteran

If It was my money and I wanted to start off cheaply I would go for the Nokia E65 just look at so many cafes bars cities Hotels all now offering free Wi-Fi all over the world.
One trip abroad the e65 could pay for itself

Those sort of prices appear to be for pre-owned phones. Not really an option. I also rarely travel abroad - holidaying at home this year  Roll eyes
dejjones
Grafter

You could pick up a cheap Nokia E65 to start with make sure its been de-branded (vodafone) and sim free on ebay

Puddy ,
Do you mean a de-branded Vodaphone E65 is best for this application?
Community Veteran

Do you mean a de-branded Vodaphone E65 is best for this application?

The problem is that some Networks ( e.g Vodafone  ) remove certain features from the phones in their branded firmware, voip being the favorite Smiley
Hence the suggestion from puddy about getting a de-branded one. OTOH I've got an O2 branded N95 and voip works fine with that, O2 don't seem to mess  with the firmware too much.
puddy
Grafter

As I wrote its only Vodafone that take out all the sip settings
You can de-brand the phone at home if you want although if it goes wrong you will need to get it repaired.
Also you can even make voip calls without a Sim card being in the mobile phone
puddy

mortod

I have PLusnet VoIP working on a BT Homehub v2. You have to modify the hub to work with a non ISP vendor (soldering required to attach a cable, or you might be able to buy one unlocked on ebay). Lots of information at http://www.psidoc.com/articles.php?article_id=2
Once working you can then do clever things with dialplans (which can't do with normap BT Voip), like automatically inserting the prefix for discount providers of international calls, or getting the phone to dial your voicemail when it tries to dial BT1571.