Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone voicemail

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Phone voicemail

I received a voicemail to my roundcube account today, asking me to call what sounded like the plusnet support desk(s).
The attached message was 600KBytes - but only 30 seconds long!
Surely voicemails - if absolutely required - could be sent as mp3 files to save space.
In part the message reads
To collect your Voicemail, you can:
- Dial *1 from your Broadband Phone
- In your web browser, open https://voip.plus.net/login/vm_summary/9999999/
- Open the copy attached to this email. The .wav file can be listened to using most
popular media players.
- Dial 0870 861 6661 from a normal PSTN land line or mobile phone
To retrieve and listen to your messages you will need your mailbox number (SIP ID)
and 4 Digit Voicemail PIN.

Was this a sales call, inviting me to pay for a telephone call?
On reflection, this call might not be intended for me since the caller referred to their offshore outsourcing department

6 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Re: Phone voicemail

This is a question about Broadband Phone, the standard voicemail message being forwarded to your normal email account. Picking it up using RoundCube is just the way you accessed your email.
I think posting the comment and question in the Broadband Phone forum is more appropriate.
David
David
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

I don't think so  Sad
I have never, ever received a voice mail before - certainly not from Plusnet.
I don't use VOIP, I don't have a phone and I have never revealed any phone number allocated to me to anyone.
Squirrel mail never sends voicemail  Smiley
I will PM the message to you, since it appears to be an internal Plusnet message.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

RoundCube is a webmail client that doesn't generate messages itself; like other webmail clients it displays messages in your Inbox that are sent to you by others (or by automated call handling systems), and will send messages you create yourself. Had you used SquirrelMail to access your Inbox I'm sure you would have found it there just the same.
I've listened to the message you PMed and I believe it is a genuine one that has gone astray. Since you don't have a VoIP number a little bit of lateral thinking is necessary to explain how it was sent to you by the VoIP system. This could be something to do with the changes that are afoot with the preview IronPort testing. I'll make enquiries about this.
David
David
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Quote from: spraxyt
I've listened to the message you PMed and I believe it is a genuine one that has gone astray. Since you don't have a VoIP number a little bit of lateral thinking is necessary to explain how it was sent to you by the VoIP system. This could be something to do with the changes that are afoot with the preview IronPort testing. I'll make enquiries about this.

Hmmm, I can't see how this would be related to the IronPort stuff but of course I could be wrong. @axisofevil, can you email me a copy of the message please? (preferably as an attachment).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

@axisofevil, I've just replied to your PM. Looks like this was a genuine wrong number. You do have a Broaband Phone account that was activated last year.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Thanks Bob,
I'd forgotten about it.
My BT package allows free calls to geographic numbers - so it's not worth the expense of VOIP hardware to have the use of my free 240 minutes.