cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Hardware

grovep
Dabbler

Phone Hardware

Hi, I'm thinking of getting some hardware to enable VOIP independent of my PC.  I was thinking of getting a adapter such as PAP2 or P2002 or getting a new router with integral VOIP such as Zoom 5565 or Vigor.  I currently use a Netgear router DG814 (yes it's that old) which works fine and a separate wireless access point.  I do not have time to spend tweaking settings for days on end to get it working well (though happy to spend some time setting it up properly) and am on a limited budget.  Is some hardware more compatible with Plusnet than others?  Will I get better voice quality by going to a newer router such as a Draytek Vigor?  Any advice welcome
Thanks
Peter
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Phone Hardware

If you're on a limited budget and looking for a voip router these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Thomson-SpeedTouch-780WL-WiFi-ADSL-Router-plus-VoIP_W0QQitemZ130263822609QQcmd...
might be worth a look, I've seen a few people recommend them.
For a separate ATA I believe the PAP2 is pretty good. Puddy on this forum is always praising them.
I haven't any personal experience of either so maybe worth waiting for others to post.
Compatibilty isnt usually a problem with PlusNet there are people on here that have got most bits of hardware configured for PlusNet.
I've always thought of the Draytek as very good but a bit expensive and I'm not sure you would notice any difference in quality between that and say the PAP2 or Speedtouch 780.
I use a Siemens C475IP Dect phone as my voip hardware, excellent piece of kit but not cheap I'm afraid, about £75.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: ianwarrilow
If you're on a limited budget and looking for a voip router these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Thomson-SpeedTouch-780WL-WiFi-ADSL-Router-plus-VoIP_W0QQitemZ130263822609QQcmd...
might be worth a look, I've seen a few people recommend them.
For a separate ATA I believe the PAP2 is pretty good. , about £75.

for cost a lone get yourselve a speedtouch 716wl wireless router its got 4 ports wireless adsl2+ and 2 built in voip ports my last one cost me 99p +p&p came to £5.98 with 90day warranty
Plusnet use to sell them so they still support them
puddy
grovep
Dabbler

Thanks for your comments so far I'll look at the Speedtouch options as well