cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package selection - frustrated searching for details

RobThomas

Package selection - frustrated searching for details

Hi
I recently signed up for the VOIP service.
After a few battles to get my details through and to determine why I could not reach the control panel I finally appear to have the phone line running now  Smiley but...
...the  default service I am on is described as "Broadband Phone, 120" and I cannot find out what the cost is and how it is being billed (I do have some questions pending with the support team on this).
Additionally I cannot for the life of me find a page that details thecosts and  advantages of other items like Anytime or Anytime 120 that are mentioned on some of theFAQ & support pages.  Nor can I find a facility to let me select the package of my choice.
Can anyone point me at the best information please?
I like the extra line (or at least my teenage daughter will) but I have found some of the FAQ and help around the service to be lacking as I seem to end up in circles trying to find the answer I need, so any pointers would be welcome.
Cheers
Rob
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Package selection - frustrated searching for details

What's your PlusNet Broadband product ?
AFAIK 'Broadband Phone 120' was/is only available as an inclusive part of an existing BB package, see the list here http://www.plus.net/support/phone/broadband_phone/introduction.shtml
That list indicates its only part of BBYW Option 2 but it was also part of the old PAYG package ( that's how I got it ).
Here's the link you need to the other BB Phone options http://www.plus.net/residential/phonecalls/broadband/products.shtml
Assuming you have got BBYW Option 2 ( or PAYG ) then your BB Phone 120 gives you 120 minutes/month free to UK landlines any time of day.
Hope that helps
RobThomas

Thank you very much for the information  I must have beem suffering from hyperlink blindness.
My standard package is the your way option 2 route so as you point out this provides the 120 minutes anytime free. I presume after the included minutes are used then the PAYG tarrif would kick in.
Paying the extra for the 24 hour anytime service looks tempting but maybe I'll just leave stepping up to that until we've had a couple of months of use... probably save a lot  if I switch ahaead of the scjool summer holidays though actually.
deciding who offers the best package around calling mobile numbers seems to be a more dificult area to find competition in at the moment  but if they  are all similar I guess it's simple really.
Thank you again for the information MisterW much appreciated.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

My standard package is the your way option 2 route so as you point out this provides the 120 minutes anytime free. I presume after the included minutes are used then the PAYG tarrif would kick in.

Yes, that's correct , you can see the calls made and balance of free minutes left from your voip control panel ( voip.plus.net ).
N.B. 0845/0870 numbers are not included in your free minutes.
Paying the extra for the 24 hour anytime service looks tempting but maybe I'll just leave stepping up to that until we've had a couple of months of use... probably save a lot  if I switch ahaead of the scjool summer holidays though actually.

I've never bothered with the extra services. I'm not sure that the Voip Anytime is any more cost effective than a BT Anytime option.
TBH I guess we dont use the phone that much now , my daughters have both left home Grin
I use one of the Siemens Gigaset Dual Dect phones which can make and receive calls on both voip and landlines. I change its 'default outgoing' line to the landline at weekends ( when BT gives me free calls ) and then PlusNet voip during the week to use my free 120 mins. Its also configured to force 08xx calls to landline. I use a third party carrier ( using a dialling prefix ) for mobile calls and the gigaset is configured to block calls to 07... numbers, thus forcing you to use the prefix. All the commonly used numbers are, of course, stored in its directory and all this makes it nice and simple for my wife to use, she just picks up the phone and dials, she has no idea whether its using voip or landline!!!
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: RobThomas
Hi
I recently signed up for the VOIP service.

Can anyone point me at the best information please?
I like the extra line (or at least my teenage daughter will) but I have found some of the FAQ and help around the service to be lacking as I seem to end up in circles trying to find the answer I need, so any pointers would be welcome.

Don’t forget all the free brilliant things you can do with a voip service
if you have a mobile phone and go abroad you can make free voip 2 voip calls as long has both user have/are logged on to a wireless internet signal or you can call voip to BT for less than 2p no matter where you are in the world.
If your friends have Plusnet voip account to they can call you voip 2 voip and its free it does not come out of your 120 allowance
My mate in Spain walks around near his apartment and finds a unprotected wireless internet signal and calls me from Spain voip 2 voip free of charge, if he calls his parents voip 2 BT it cost less than 2p.  Don’t forget some cities are setting up free wireless hotspots like Norwich city centre, logon to that and make free voip calls.  Mac Donald’s have free wireless hot spots in all their outlets.
Plusnet also give us a free BT std choice incoming numbers its getting very rare to find free BT numbers.  Most that are free offer you a 0845 0870 incoming number which means if your friends call you they may be charged up to 7 p a minutes with Plusnet its free if the caller has a free call allowance.
If you live abroad  and have a normal landline and internet service  you could setup a voip service and that phone thinks it’s a UK phone, so you can make calls free depending how many free minutes you have back to Blighty. Works well if you have a router that has voip ports built in like the speedtouch 716wl 780wl or use a Gigaset phone if you have a landline if abroad (where you live) i.e. Spain setup landline for Spain then use a voip line for UK calls

You can wonder anywhere in the world if you have a Nokia E65 N82 N95 N95-8GB N97 N97- mini N900 to make free voip calls back to the UK.

With Plusnet voip service there are no international codes to dial on your voip phone just dial as normal and best of all no great big mobile phone bills and no international call charges.  To call voip 2 voip from abroad  just dial your friends voip account number that’s it no matter where you are in the world.
Puddy
puddy
Grafter

Have you decided what device you are going to use?
1. software phone- need computer on to make and receive calls plus poor sound quality
2.  Router with built in voip ports i.e. speedtouch 716wl 780wl zoom etc. Don’t need to leave computer on to make and receive call cheapest hardware option
3. ip phone eg Gigaset Snom Grandstream no need to leave computer on
4. Nokia E65 N82 N95 N95-8gb N97 N97 mini N900 Roam the world with these phones Nokia E65 can be brought from £50
Dont touch an Orange T-Mobile or 3 Network
    When looking  for the above Nokia phones choose the one that have been unlocked (will work on any network) has been debranded sim free latest firmware flashed
Your billing page will be at http://voip.plus.net  you can make changes from their
Thier no charge for plusnet voip service its free
You cannot choose a different voip account unless you change your internet package the more you pay for the package the more free voip calls you get I pay £21 a month and get 240 free minutes
I think you can add extra minutes min £5
voip to voip calls dont show up and are free
You can reset your phone password from this page, this does not change your http://voip.plus.net password
You can have more than 1 voip line payg
When you run out of credit your call is cut off or when dialing out it tells you if you have no credit
puddy

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: puddy

You cannot choose a different voip account unless you change your internet package the more you pay for the package the more free voip calls you get I pay £21 a month and get 240 free minutes

There are options for E&W at £2.93 and Anytime at £4.88, info https://portal.plus.net/residential/phonecalls/broadband/products.shtml
For tariffs https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband_phone/broadband-phone-tariffs.pdf
Other info https://portal.plus.net/residential/phonecalls/broadband/
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
There are options for E&W at £2.93 and Anytime at £4.88, info https://portal.plus.net/residential/phonecalls/broadband/products.shtml

My mistake you are correct
Sorry
puddy