Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Numerous emails saying VOIP phone has gone down

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Numerous emails saying VOIP phone has gone down

Over the past week or so I've been getting the email message to say my VOIP phone has gone down. This usually happened in the middle of the night and I thought it might be something new that needs to be reset once a day. Although a bit annoying the likelihood of someone trying to phone me at about 1.50am is slim.
However, over the last 2-3 days I've been getting quite a number of these messages. I'm not entirely sure if the phone has actually disconnected or not. I check the phone when I see the message and it's aways on when I look.
My router's logs don't show any disconnections since Monday although I have to say that I noticed a number of disconnects on the broadband side of things a few days ago and the broadband was slow. That side of things seems OK again now though.
I have a Netgear DG834GT router and a Siemens C475IP phone.
Can anyone enlighten please on what may be going on? I can go a number of weeks without one of these messages but all of a sudden it's gone crazy.
Many thanks. Annie
Annie
34 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Numerous emails saying VOIP phone has gone down

Annie,
I had an offline message early morning on the 22/08 so that was probably caused by Gradwell maintenance.
I've not had any others but of course you will get an offline message if your BB disconnects. 
Annie
Rising Star

My broadband hasn't disconnected since Monday according to the logs although the Local Area Connection Status says 7 hours 32 mins at the moment. However, since I posted my initial query, I've had two more notifications.
Annie
Community Veteran

However, since I posted my initial query, I've had two more notifications.

I guess it could be a phone problem then, what version of firmware is the C475 on ?
There was some problems with some versions of firmware causing disconnects, although
you wouldn't expect it to start causing disconnects now, unless, of course, its just updated its firmware ?
Annie
Rising Star

In the phone's control panel it says
Software 
Firmware version: 022230000000 / 043.00
EEPROM version: 183
The Siemens website says...

Gigaset C470 IP / C475 IP / S675 IP / S685 IP - Firmware update 03/2010 (version 02223)
You don't need to download files. The firmware is updated directly online by the Gigaset C470 IP / C475 IP / S675 IP / S685 IP

I seem to remember my husband doing or mentioning an update a few months ago so I presume from this that we are up to date.
Annie
Community Veteran

I believe 02223 is the latest firmware and shouldn't have any problems with disconnecting.
Its not easy to diagnose where the problem might be since in the case of a C475 its connected directly to the router and therefore
its not possible to log what's happening. It could be the phone, the router, the cable between them or any combination.
You could perhaps eliminate some possibilities by changing the cable and/or changing the router port to which the C475 is connected, assuming its got more than 1 port.

Simon_M
Grafter

There was a spate of these notifications some time ago. I can't remember what the problem was, but they fixed it.
I've had a few; as you say, every 24 hrs in the early hours. I suspect it's a Gradwell problem, because I have had them on both my Gradwell & Plusnet accounts.
Actually I'm reassured by your post - my router has been playing up a bit lately & I had been thinking the problem might be my end. It looks more like a Gradwell problem if I'm not alone.   Smiley
Annie
Rising Star

Update - I plugged the phone into a different port as suggested and have only had one message which was at 1.44am last night. Hopefully the frequent messages will cease and if you're also getting the nightly messages Simon, then it's probably not my end.
Annie
Simon_M
Grafter

Any you get today might actually be genuine. Apparently the BT network is having all sorts of problems this morning, so dropped connections are to be expected.
I had my nightly one at 02:03, but I had another at 10:05 which I suspect may have really happened. Haven't had time to check, as I'm just dashing off for a weekend of music - only 15 miles down the road, so at least no traffic problems for me.   Smiley   Mustn't be late though, as I'm manning the gate when the site opens at 2pm.
[Edit: Yep - looks like we lost everything for about 15 mins either side of 10am]
Community Veteran

Yep , I got one at about 01:20 this morning. So it looks like it could be a general problem Annie and probably not a fault with your phone.
Annie
Rising Star

Well the problem seems to have gone away now. I've only had two emails since my last post, one in the early hours of 28th and one yesterday when my broadband went off for some reason.
I hope you enjoyed your weekend Simon.
Annie
Simon_M
Grafter

I had another one at 01:49 this morning, just on my Plusnet account - nothing from my Gradwell account. Both accounts are registered from the same device & there is nothing in my logs to indicate a problem this end, so I suspect it was another spurious message.
Thanks Annie - yes, it was a good weekend, if a little wet & windy!
paxy
Grafter

I'm getting these as well and I know it is nothing at my end....
Annie
Rising Star

I had 3 again in the early hours last night. Nothing much during the day though. Are others still getting them?
Annie
Simon_M
Grafter

Intermittently. The last one I had was on the 8th at 01:49.