Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob Questions

TBird1
Dabbler

Noob Questions

Hi Folks,
Just waiting for my Broadband Phone Account details to come through then I'll be getting a few things set up. I've never had the opportunity to play with SIP before, so I'm looking forward to playing with something new  Smiley
In preparation I have a few questions and thought this might be the best place to ask  Wink
1. Can I set up multiple "handsets" to access the one SIP account/number? For example, N95 + PC + Analogue Phone (via ATA).
2. I already use Fring on my re-branded N95 - would you recommend I use Frings SIP account or the N95's native SIP service ?
3. Is it a good experience for non-techs to make SIP based calls via an existing anologue phone (looking at buying a Linksys PAPT2) - thinking of my wife and two kids
Thanks in advance,
TBird1
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Noob Questions

quote]1. Can I set up multiple "handsets" to access the one SIP account/number? For example, N95 + PC + Analogue Phone (via ATA).

Yes.
2. I already use Fring on my N95 - would you recommend I use Frings SIP account or the N95's native SIP service ?

Sorry , no experience of Fring or the N95, hopefully others will provide more info.
3. Is it a good experience for non-techs to make SIP based calls via an existing anologue phone (looking at buying a Linksys PAPT2) - thinking of my wife and two kids

In my opinion, Yes. My wife was never very happy using either a softphone ( with headset ) or even a USB phone.
When I decided to use voip seriously I got a Siemens C475IP Dect phone that works with both the landline and voip. My wife now has no problems using voip, as its the same phone as the normal landline. Actually in most cases she has no idea ( and doesnt need to know ) whether she is making a call using voip or PSTN. By clever use of  dial plans you can use voip when its cheapest and PSTN when its not.
You can do similar things with some ATA's and voip routers but make sure they have an FXO port if you want to use  PSTN as well as voip. NB dont think the PAP2 can do this.
Of course, if you are happy to have a separate phone for voip then a cheap and cheerful  ATA like the PAP2 will do fine.
Hope that helps, post back with any more questions and we'll try to help.
TBird1
Dabbler

Quote from: ianwarrilow
quote]1. Can I set up multiple "handsets" to access the one SIP account/number? For example, N95 + PC + Analogue Phone (via ATA).

Yes.
What happens on each 'handset' when you get an incomming call - do they all ring ?

You can do similar things with some ATA's and voip routers but make sure they have an FXO port if you want to use  PSTN as well as voip. NB dont think the PAP2 can do this.
Of course, if you are happy to have a separate phone for voip then a cheap and cheerful  ATA like the PAP2 will do fine.

We have a 3 handset wireless DECT analogue phone (Philips somthin or another) that I'd like to use  for both analogue & VOIP calls - if the PAP2 is not suitable what would you recommend ?
Community Veteran

What happens on each 'handset' when you get an incomming call - do they all ring ?

Yes they will all ring and you can answer the call from any of them.
We have a 3 handset wireless DECT analogue phone (Philips somthin or another) that I'd like to use  for both analogue & VOIP calls - if the PAP2 is not suitable what would you recommend ?

I really wouldnt know  what ATA to recommend as I havent used any of them.
Have a look at the list here http://www.pbx.in/voip-info/wiki/view/Analog+Telephone+Adapters.html
As I said you will need one with a PSTN port.
If you dont already have a router then the Speedtouch 716 and 780 have got some praise on this forum and they both have voip ports with PSTN pass through, you can pick them up on ebay quite cheap. Have a look at the voip routers list here http://www.pbx.in/voip-info/wiki/view/VOIP+Routers.html
Hopefully by the time you have done some research , some other regulars may come in with some more specific advice on ATA's.
Community Veteran

Since no-one else seems around.
Here's a link to some ATA's that I think  might be suitable http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=420
The Zoom 5801 looks good value, I suggest you download the manual and have a look.
Incoming calls on either PSTN line or Voip shouldnt be a problem as either should ring the phone.
For family use I would guess that you would need something that can easily select which line to use for outgoing calls. Either by using a 'dial plan' or a simple prefix to select the line.
I've had a look at the manual and it looks pretty comprehensive but I've no experience of the unit itself in terms
of build quality or reliability.
Hope that helps 
Community Veteran

Well at least 1other person has got the Zoom 5801 working with PlusNet so you'd have somewhere to go for advice.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=65921.0
TBird1
Dabbler

Thank you for all your help Ian.
I already have a router which provides QOS for VOIP, but doesn't have dedicated ports, just regular ethernet RJ45's - its a D-Link DIR-655. Once I get my account I'll have a good rummage about and a play with one of the PC clients and Fring on my N95.
I'll also take a look at the Zoom 5801 details. I'd much rather pick something like this that has a track record and some nearby support, although if anybody else has any other ATA device recommendations I'd still like to hear from you.
Thanks again
hneil
Grafter

For information, I have a Zoom 5801. I initially had problems setting it up for two reasons.
1) There are a heck of a lot of features and resembles a telecommunications switch in some respects.
2) Zoom seem to use different terms to Plusnet for the same thing.
However, I asked Zoom for help in setting it up and boy do they provide a helpful service. The engineer asked for my Plusnet account details and then set up my hardware config in a lab (I suppose it helped that I am also using a Zoom router). When he got it working, he e-mailed screenshots of the set-up pages to me. I just copied those settings into my ATA config set-up and it all worked first time.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: TBird1
I'd much rather pick something like this that has a track record and some nearby support, although if anybody else has any other ATA device recommendations I'd still like to hear from you.
Thanks again

Take a look at the speedtouch 716wl router you can pick them up for less than £6 and plusnet support them because they use to sell them.  They have 4 ports wireless adsl2+ and 2 built in VoIP ports.
I use plusnet VoIP service on both my Nokia N95 and E65 mobile ,some mobile phone companies like vodaphone take out the sip software but re-branding your nokia only takes 10 mins to set-up and also makes your phone sim free.  you just need to pick a country code and you can update the firmware direct from the Nokia web page.( this does not unlock your phone)My Nokia N95 came from 3 and 02 work too. Not sure about T-Mobile or Orange.  I have never used Fring. 
I have noticed that the Linksys PAP2 is increasing in price for xmas season don’t pay over £22 inc p&p on eBay
But for family use have a look at the Siemens ip dect phone C450 C475ip and other ip dect cordless phone, like most cordless phone you can add up to 5 handsets.  Even my  partner can use it.  You can make 1 Landline call and up to 4 VoIP calls on the handsets that are free at the same time.
All devices above will allow you to make and receive call without the computer being switched on.

puddy
ps If you need settings for the Nokia Linksys PAP2 & SPA3000 speedtouch 716wl v5 Nokia N95 & E65 just let me know
TBird1
Dabbler

Thanks Puddy.
I have recently bought my current router so don't really want to change it again, but I very much take on board your other points.
I debranded my N95 as soon as I got it, just after they were released spring 2007 and have kept up to date with latest firmwares as matter of course.
I just noticed your post after already starting another thread concerning the PAPT2 - I'll leave it to the moderator to decide whether I've double posted or not  Smiley