Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia N82 Keeps Dropping Off

sourceit
Grafter

Nokia N82 Keeps Dropping Off

Hi
This is aimed more at richsmol but if anyone else can help, it would be nice.
I have a Nokia N82 that I have been running on the VoIP trial and then on the proper VoIP system and the phone works brilliantly with the SIP software built-in to the phone.  The only problem I have is that if I leave the house and come back, it will not connect to the SIP service.  It comes up registration failed.
However, if I then proceed to change the SIP address to the SIP2 addresses, it then works.  This will also lose connection if I leave the house again and come back later on.  I then have to edit the SIP settings again and change it back to SIP from SIP2 and it then works again.
I have changed the product code on my phone and then performed a firmware upgrade on the phone which has brought it up-to-date .
Any suggestions??  I like the Nokia SIP application but annoyed with having to keep changing the SIP servers.
Regards
Ben
BTW Nokia N82 & N95 are very similar in their feature sets so I'd be interested if any N95 owners are getting the same problem.
38 REPLIES
puddy
Grafter

Re: Nokia N82 Keeps Dropping Off

E65  you need to change the connect settings go menu> Connect open choose Internet tel>scroll to your router>options>settings>scroll to default settings select open highlight login type and change from manual to auto

N95  menu>tools>Connectivty>open>Internet tel.> scroll down to your router>options>settings>scroll to Voip Settings choose login type change from manual to automatic

I have mine set to manual because a fully charged battery will go flat in 24 hours if set to auto
puddy
sourceit
Grafter

Mine is on auto already.  Still get the drop offs where I have to change the SIP address.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

What happens if you use one of the server IPs instead of a host name?
bpullen@pvs-csctools:~$ host sip.plus.net
sip.plus.net has address 79.135.125.155
sip.plus.net has address 79.135.125.154

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

puddy
Grafter

Not sure what else you could try apart from deleteing all the settings  just to see if you missed a settings when switching between the two. 
Sip settings
Profile name  Gradwell
Service profile IETF
Default access point Your router
Public username sip:id number@sip2.plus.net
Use compression no
Registration always on
Use security no
Proxy server
proxy server address  sip:nat.plus.net
Realm sip2.plus.net
User Name  id number
Password  account password
allow loose routing yes
Transport type UDP
Port 5082
Registrar server
Registrar serv addr sip:sip2.plus.net
Realm sip2.plus.net
User name id number
Password id password
Transport type UDP
Port 5060
Check your router listed in access points
packet data connection = when available
going back to the auto login settings you said you already have set to auto does your router show up in the next box down listed saved conn.networks?
Otherwise your router my not be picking up your n82 and registering it when you come back in to range. 
You could try giving your n82 the same ip address every time it registered in your router settings

Puddy
sourceit
Grafter

Quote from: Bob

Where do these settings go and which one do I use?
I am currently on SIP2.plus.net at the moment and have been out since 5pm and connected back up ok.  See how lon this lasts.
Community Veteran

just to add my 2p worth..
I found I had issues with using the nokia software, so I downloaded fring - works like a dream. I think there is a thread around here somewhere by Ian Wild that discusses it..
/2p
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

I prefer the bespoke Nokia software to Fring TBH. My N95 works flawlessly most of the time behind my Voyager 2091.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

puddy
Grafter

I am currently on SIP2.plus.net at the moment and have been out since 5pm and connected back up ok.  See how lon this lasts.

Now voip is out of beta testing plusnet recommend using sip.plus.net instead of sip2.plus.net
Let me know if you get it working?
Puddy
ps I am with bob when using nokia software for setting up/making voip calls instead of fring.  Which network is your n82 from?  Some networks disable sip settings  and included orange and vodafone being the worst.  Have you made your phone genric?
sourceit
Grafter

I can use the SIP & SIP2 servers, but what I am saying is that when I use SIP server and come back and it doesn't work, I switch to SIP2 and then it works.  When that stops working, I go back to SIP server.
My phone is on O2 but I have debranded it by changing the product code and have upgraded to the latest firmware on the phone.
This one is puzzling me!!
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Source

Where do these settings go and which one do I use?

Have you worked this out yet? You use one of the IP address and enter it instead of sip2.plus.net. This then stop the need to look up the IP address using DNS as it does seem that your phone is failing on this.
puddy
Grafter

for the time being all my info for nokia n82 e65 n95 n95 8gb has been wrong sorry
i have found if you use sip instead of sip2  the mobile phone may not ring.  I have changed all my setting back to sip2 and now have a working service
puddy
itsme
Grafter

It does not matter if you use sip.plus.net or sip2.plus.net. Both return the same IP addresses as Bob has specified above. The problem with no ringing is a firewall one. Port forwarding is needed for the sip port 5060 and the rtp ports and for these I do not know the default that the Nokia use but if you change them use the ones recommended by Gradwell
puddy
Grafter

Even though sip showed registered on my display most phones especially the nokia phone’s did not ring.  it’s the same with my Siemens 460 ip dect phone on sip only unlike sip2 settings
I thought it worked because it showed registered, I only checked when members with the same nokia phones said they had no incoming calls and audio problems.  So I tried to call my own phone number and it only rang on my grandstream gxp 2000.
so I reloaded all the sip2 settings and they now all ring, I did not change any firewall settings on the router or anti-virus program
puddy
ps all the phone listed below all ring now and i have never changed any ports or used port forwarding and firewall settings still connected 24 hours and no drop offs
itsme
Grafter

You probably will find that the mobile will work for a few minutes then revert back to no incoming calls and no sound. Changing from sip to sip2 force another registration which opens the ports in the NAT, but these ports will be closed down after a few minutes. You probably will find that if you keep the mobile to sip and switch the phone off then back on it will have the same affect.
You may be interested in the email from Gradwell when I was asking advice for my mobile.
The Incident you submitted has been updated.
Listed below are details of this Incident. Please make sure the Incident ID remains in the subject of any future correspondence related to this Incident.
You can check the status or reply to this ticket on-line. Login using your Gradwell registered email address and password.
        Incident ID: 7810
        Subject: Incident #7810: [g SUPPORT] Setting up Pirelli Dual Phone.
        Priority: Medium
        Link: Click here
Response:
Hi xxxx,
no each device will need separate ports else conflict will occur.
You will need to port forward the correct ports ion the router, both SIP and RTP media. Both devices can outward register on the same ports as it connecting to us, eg sip.gradwell.net:5060 and nat.gradwell.net:5082
A guide to this can be found on our knowledgebase, the link for this is http://portal.gradwell.net/support.php/knowledgebase/view/category_id/9/article_id/384

Please do let us know if we can assist you any further,
Regards,