cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia E90 - registered but "Internet telephone service not available"

PNet4um
Grafter

Nokia E90 - registered but "Internet telephone service not available"

Before Christmas I had my Nokia working on Plusnet's VoIP service but now I seem to have "lost it"...
I have tried lots of advice from the forums - even some old stuff - but I am still getting to the "Registered" status but with the actual calls failing with the above message. I have the following settings:
Profile: PV
Service profile: IETF
Default a/p: MySSID
Public U/N: sip:6000000@sip.plus.net
Use compress: No
Reg: Always On (tried 'When needed')
Use security: No
PROXY - 2nd level menu:
sip:natproxy.plus.net
Realm: newsip
User name: 6000000
Password: **** - changed three times to ensure correct, fails to register if "bad"
Loose routing: Yes
Transport: UDP
Port: 5082
REGISTRAR - 2nd level menu:
sip:sip.plus.net
Realm: newsip
User name: 6000000
Password: **** - changed three times to ensure correct, fails to register if "bad"
Transport: UDP
Port: 5060
The 6000000 has been changed to two different Plusnet accounts - both of which register but both also fail when I attempt a call.
I am currently using both accounts on separate ports of my ST716WL router with real 'phones - no problem for months - last was the well-known "No calls when £0 credit" so that doesn't really count!
Obviously I would be delighted if someone can tell me there is something above that I can change to get the service back but just in case there isn't - what are my options:
1. I assume that Plusnet would pass on any request for help to Gradwell - I am not being rude but I assume they wouldn't really be too motivated to help as it appears to be device specific! - any support recommendations?
2. Although I have scoured the web - are there places to go for help? will Nokia (inc. forums) be worth trying?
3. Are there any ways to trace / log what is going on (on 'phone or in my router as it flies by?!) to see if I can guess the root cause?
4. Find a VoIP application for the E90 which can in some way replace the Nokia oneHuh Anyone know if it's even possible?
5a. Buy a cheap replacement 'phone enabled for SIP - are there any that also do E-MailHuh
5b. ---------------------------- "" ---------------------------- and work over 3G? - the Nokia (E90) wasn't good at that - Codec problem?
Any experience and buying recommendations of 5a or 5b would be particularly welcome as I think I'll get a mobile as a backup SIP device anyway as I know they have been recommended in the past.
6. Spend a small! fortune on a 'phone that does SIP, e-mail and GPS - Android APPEARS to be looking Open+Flexible+... and courting the mass-volume hardware market - not an option I will take until I have explored all others...
7. Suggestions welcome - wacky ideas included...
Thanks for your time in reading all this so far and especially if you have suggestions or even a solution!!! Brian R.
Minor point but just in case worthy of note - I get this message after changing accounts - anything to worry about? - I respond 'No'.
No SIP profiles using WLAN in 'always on' registration mode. Disable 'Show WLAN availability' setting?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Nokia E90 - registered but "Internet telephone service not available"

I've just compared your settings with those on my N95 and there is a slight difference.
I have the realm set to None for the proxy server but to newsip ( as you do ) for the registrar.
Give that a try.
PNet4um
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestion (Proxy realm = None) but that didn't make any difference to the symptoms... Registration works but calling OUT fails - I stress OUT because while I typed this post it occurred to me to test INcoming calls and I have just checked (on two accounts) that THEY (IN via SIP) DO RING THE E90 when registered. Does that help anyone pin-point the problem?
a. Is there anyone out there who knows the SIP protocol well enough to suggest what might be wrong from the new evidence OR how I could trace it?
b. If anyone has suggestions / information about my other questions above then please provide them - I am not expecting anyone to respond to the whole post but I was just listing the alternatives that I could see and asking if I had missed any - the answers may well be useful to others who might tread this route...
Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist... Cheers, Brian R.
PS If I have missed some info' that has been previously posted then simply RSVP with suitable keywords for me to find them - TIA.
puddy
Grafter

Your setting are all correct don’t take out newsip as suggested please
Try this go in to setting menu>tools>settings>connection>Internet tel>option>new profile and setup profile it may be listed so choose that or setup a new profile
I have never setup a nokia E90 I am just hoping it’s the same as a E65 or N95
Try making a call over your mobile buy changing your router to the mobile phone network your on if it works and you can make call then Plusnet are to blame.  Don’t forget to change it back
I know this sounds stupid but I would delete all the settings and start again it worked for me so give it a try and I mean re-set everything Gradwell would tell you to do the same then connect everything back 1 at a time
5b idea work on their network is a very bad idea even though the phone not on a call it still using data last time i did this i got a very large bill
If you’re looking for cheap nokia that will work try a nokia e65 N95 N95-8gb and mini n97
Puddy
puddy
Grafter

If incoming calls work add £5 or 10 to your voip account though I am unsure how long it takes before it add to the account
  Edit
More info from http://www.callcentric.com/support/device/nokia/e90
Your phone may not have the internet.tel setting so you would need to take your phone to an independent mobile phone repair shop to have setup sim free and flash the phones firmware that included the internet.tel setting the it only takes 20-30 minutes.  Stay away from the likes of CPW they will not do this type of work.
Puddy
PNet4um
Grafter

Puddy - many, many thanks for your input - you scared me with the comment about adding money to the account because I wasted hours on that 6 months ago - I was relying on my memory of £3.80 balance and a trigger e-mail at £3... Unusually my memory was correct...
I will try both the New Profile and the "Delete everything" approaches although the E90 didn't seem to want to delete the 'default' profile which ends up being the last... I understand the switch to mobile network as a test but I assume that trying it on 3 different WiFi networks, all of which allowed registration - was that as good?
As for calls over 3G - I am Pay as you Go with Virgin - so 25MB costs me 30p for the days I use it - usually 1 or 2 per week. If that is only 10 minutes VoIP that's still better than Voice calls. Hopefully with a decent Codec it would be 20 minutes but 10 is plenty to call home / callbacks etc..
Thanks for the suggested 'phones - I'll take a look on eBay - do you know if they are any better than the E90?, especially over 3G?
I got my 'phone re-flashed 18 months ago (£25!) when it was bricked by a Nokia Suite update so I'll try your other suggestions first and I may just get a cheap mobile anyway - do E65s do e-mail? Thanks for the link showing setup too - I'll check my actions against that as well...
Again - thanks very much for the input and I'll let you know what works or not as the case may be... Cheers, Brian R.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: PNet4um
I will try both the New Profile and the "Delete everything" approaches although the E90 didn't seem to want to delete the 'default' profile which ends up being the last... I understand the switch to mobile network as a test but I assume that trying it on 3 different Wi-Fi networks, all of which allowed registration - was that as good?

Sorry about that i did not know you had 3 voip networks working, but i think this is causing the problem.  sometimes other voip networks will cause problems i don’t understand why.  if i have sipgate running it knocks out Plusnet, i end up deleting every voip network and starting again. That's why i add them back in one at a time.  Turn off wireless network to delete default profile or switch off always needed and chage back to when needed
Quote from: PNet4um
Thanks for the suggested 'phones - I'll take a look on eBay - do you know if they are any better than the E90?, especially over 3G?

Nokia E65 and N95 work over 3g  i use them on 3 if you get a Vodafone model it will need a firmware flash to add back in sip settings Vodafone took them out and both will do e-mail i have used both models my n95 is the better option.
Does your e90 have the internet tel icon if not that’s could be a problem that’s why i said it may needed a firmware flash.
Are you running sipgate voip account?  If so this is why you could have problems you will have to telnet the router to switch on sip alg  if you’re out and about sipgate will not register its self.
Did you know if you get/find a unprotected wireless internet signal you can logon to it and make free voip calls.  I take my n95 to Spain and call back home free of charge voip to voip. if you call someone who does not have a Plusnet voip account it can cost a little has 1p ppm to call home.  Lots of bars abroad have free internet access just logon to it and make calls.  The e65 & n95 show in scan mode all wireless internet signals a round you and which are unprotected i.e. no password needed.  In addition if you take your mobile abroad it thinks it’s a UK phone so family friends can call your voip std number and if they get free minutes the call free no international dialling codes needed and you don’t have to pay incoming call charges. plus  when you are making  outgoing calls you don’t have to pay roaming charges  or even use international dialling codes either.
You don’t need a sim card in your phone for voip calls in or outbound so no need to eat in to virgin network data time or fee’s

kind regards
Puddy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

PNet4um,
Since you can receive incoming calls on the E90 it must be registering ok. You say that you can make and receive voip calls on the ST716 via your PlusNet account so it can't be an account problem.
One possibility ( although I dont know why it should have worked in the past! ) is a codec negotiation problem with the E90, maybe Gradwell have changed something recently ? see here http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Eseries-and-Communicators/SIP-SDP-Codec-negotiation-problem-o...
There is a Nokia SIP application you can download that enables you to get at some of the hidden sip settings http://www.voipvoip.com/nokia-e90/ including ( I think !) codec settings.
mdean
Grafter

Hi, if you are still having problem I would suggest that you raise a question on your account so that we can look at this further or raise it to gradwell.
PNet4um
Grafter

Apologies to all that replied for not returning here to thank them sooner... I had a slight problem to say the least - I must have deleted at least one thing "too many" because I started to get more errors and things were generally getting worse.
I went back to my list and got very close to buying a Nokia E65 (and may still do) but I didn't on the basis that if I was admitting defeat on the E90 then I might as well bin it because it wouldn't be my primary phone and with it's weight I wouldn't be carrying that around just for GPS... I needed to look at all possibilities before I gave up...
My item 4 was "Find a VoIP application for the E90 which can in some way replace the Nokia oneHuh Anyone know if it's even possible?" What I hadn't realised was that Nokias were relatively open in the early days of smart phones... Buried in their user forums there are people who have used non-Nokia App's on their phones... Even better was that I spotted that Fring was an option and I knew that was one that was at least acknowledged and perhaps promoted by Plusnet...
I downloaded Fring via my PC, added it to the E90 with the Nokia PC suite and within half an hour I had worked out how to add SIP to Fring - the upside is decent Codecs and so, so much easier to configure and get working... The only major downside I can see is that the Address Book isn't integrated / synchronised between Nokia and Fring.
My thanks to all but Puddy in particular because he certainly checked all the loose ends - no credit for instance!!! I fully support his comments above about how useful this can be as I have "roamed" in Europe and the U.S.A. and in many countries there is lots of free WiFi and the Plusnet BUSINESS deal which includes 4 hours of SIP to 01, 02 and 03 numbers is cheaper than most residential deals in rural areas. Adding virtual "low priority" lines (outgoing and 2-way for non-customer-facing) to businesses is also a real winner for some types of business.
Anyway - I will add my experience of Fring here (or elsewhere if there is A place!) for the benefit of anyone else who ends up in this mess and has to look at their options... Cheers, Brian R.
puddy
Grafter

I would go for a nokia E65 or N95 because they are very very simple to set-up unlike the E60.
The e65 & n95 N95 8gb came with voip built-in from the start.  
Don’t buy a Nokia e65/n95 that’s a vodaphone branded unless it’s been flashed it will have unbranded in the description details.  Vodafone took the sip settings out. If you do buy a Vodafone branded phone take it in to an independent mobile repair shop ( not cpw type outlets ) and they will re-flash it with a sim free model flash cost under £10
I have used both e65 & n95 with Plusnet voip service
Kind regards
Puddy
E65 Settings below so you can see how easy they are to setup
Revised settings for Nokia E65 & N95 + N95-8GB
Tools>settings>connection>internet tel. Settings
Name Plusnet
Sip Profiles Plusnet
Next go Tool>settings>connection>sip settings
Profile Name Plusnet
Service profile IETF
Public user name sip:123456@sip.plus.net