cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia E71 "registration failed" for SIP calls

comps
Dabbler

Nokia E71 "registration failed" for SIP calls

Great help on another related thread but I fear the setup information is out of date?
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92097.msg773911.html#msg773911
My settings are thus (partly based on reading other threads to try and find out which URLs to use):
Tools>settings>connection>internet tel. Settings
Name Plusnet
Sip Profiles Plusnet
Tools>settings>connection>sip settings
Profile Name Plusnet
Service profile IETF
Default Access Point (my router)
Public user name sip:8888888@sip.plus.net
Use compression no
Registration Always on Or When Needed
Use security No
Proxy server
Proxy server address sip:natproxy.plus.net
Realm sip.plus.net
Username 8888888
Password (the 15 digit one issued for the phone on voip.plus.net control panel)
Allow loose routing yes
Transport type UDP
Port 5082
Registrar server
Registrar serv sip:natproxy.plus.net
Realm sip.plus.net
Username 8888888
Password (the 15 digit one issued for the phone on voip.plus.net control panel)
Transport type UDP
Port 5060

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong and why registration fails?
I am also using a Siemens Gigaset 475IP phone which works perfectly (obviously with slightly simpler settings requirements)
Thanks
Edward
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Nokia E71 "registration failed" for SIP calls

Realm sip.plus.net

Try newsip for the realm in the registrar server and none for the realm in the proxy server, also the registrar server should be sip:sip.plus.net.. Most devices don't bother to send realm with the authorisation details, they just assume the details are for all realms. The Nokia sip client is a bit 'picky' and does send the realm which fro the PlusNet voip is actually newsip.
Hope that helps
comps
Dabbler

Thanks for the swift response.  Changed the settings as suggested, rebooted, "registration failed".
I know it is not a port forwarding issue because the router (Draytek 2820Vn) was set up as appropriate when I first installed the Siemens Gigaset phone 3 or more years ago.
Edward
Community Veteran

I've got a Nokia N95, which should be very similar in configuration, but I haven't used it on VOIP for a while. I've just checked with those settings and it registers fine on the office Wifi.
You are trying to use voip over Wifi and not 3g aren't you ?
You shouldn't need any port forwarding if you use the outbound proxy ( and it would at least register anyway )
Here's my settings for confirmation
Tools>settings>connection>sip settings
Profile Name Plusnet
Service profile IETF
Default Access Point (my router)
Public user name sipSad my 7 digit sip id )@sip.plus.net
Use compression no
Registration When Needed
Use security No
Proxy server
Proxy server address sip:natproxy.plus.net
Realm None
Username ( my 7 digit sip id )
Password ( my sip password )
Allow loose routing yes
Transport type UDP
Port 5082
Registrar server
Registrar serv sip:sip.plus.net
Realm newsip
Username ( my 7 digit sip id )
Password ( my sip password )
Transport type UDP
Port 5060
comps
Dabbler

I have set it up just so but it still will not register.  I did once have successful registration using Fring but have got rid of that app as it suffers unreasonable latency and the Nokia E71 should not need to use Fring anyway.
I confirm I am using WIFI not 3G although I do want to progress to VoIP over 3G if I can do it on Orange - I know some networks don't permit - but there is a useful enhancement to the Nokia VoIP configuration capability described here which might find the way through:
http://www.voipvoip.com/support/mobile-phone-sip.html
So I thought if I could at least register to begin with, it is worth a try to go a step further.
Edward
Community Veteran

Odd that it won't register using those settings.
You might just try changing the proxy to sip:nat.plus.net and/or the registrar to sip:sip2.plus.net. TBH they are the same in effect but we've seen some occasions when one works and the other doesn't for some reason...

puddy
Grafter

Hi Edward
Thank you for your pm
Are you running the latest firmware on E71 e.g. bella
You also need the sip program/ file from Nokia webpage below
http://www.developer.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia.com/id/d476061e-90ca-42e9-b3ea-1a852f3808ec/SIP_VoIP_Se...
I sms the file from my computer to my Nokia N8 & C6-01 that way it puts it in the correct place and unwraps the program
Set up the VoIP setting with the new SIP profile by going to:
Admin setting>Net setting>Advance VoIP settings>Create new service> Choose the SIP profile you just configured e.g. plusnet
next
Admin setting>Net setting>Advance VoIP settings>VoIP service>choose the 3G SIP profile, e.g. plus net >Profile setting>>>>
Go down to AWCDMA> set it to "on"  that even caught me out the first time
I never used or seen a Nokia E71 but have updated the Nokia N8 and C6-01 I updated both to Bella.  My neighbour trying to decide which to buy but if you still need help next week I will get one back and I can talk you through the setup

Kind regards
Puddy
Community Veteran

Hi Puddy,
Go down to AWCDMA> set it to "on"  that even caught me out the first time

Isn't that just for sip over 3g ?
I didn't think Edward was trying that, he's just using wifi AFAIK
comps
Dabbler

MisterW - yes still floundering around trying to get the Wifi SIP connection going.  Tried your suggestions and am beginning to think there is something more fundamental that I am missing.
Puddy - Thanks for your input.  I found the Nokia enhanced VoIP settings through the voipvoip.com link above and installed accordingly.  The site also suggested, in addition to your note about AWCDMA, that all the unnecessary Voice Codecs be deleted save for G729.
I am on the latest (last?) version of firmware for the E71 being 501.21.001
So I hope that whenever I find what is preventing me from successful registration, the jump to VoIP over 3G will follow without further hitch  Wink
Edward
Community Veteran

I just reread the whole thread again and noticed this
I know it is not a port forwarding issue because the router (Draytek 2820Vn) was set up as appropriate when I first installed the Siemens Gigaset phone 3 or more years ago.

Does that mean you have some port forwarding setup on the 2820?
Now, you shouldn't need any port forwarding at all when you are using the outbound proxy. However, I wonder if any port forwarding you've got setup to the C475 is getting in the way of registering the E71. Try removing all the port forwarding and see if that helps...
comps
Dabbler

Resolved - Wifi anyway.  I have just completely cleared out all traces on the E71 and started again. I stuck rigidly to MisterW's settings and it has registered.
The VoIP over 3G is yet to be tried and if successful I will post a new thread in case anyone wants to follow me down that particular avenue.
So far as my router was concerned, I had not entered any Port Forwarding because there was a specific SIP entry page of which I attach the screenshot.  I note that changing the Proxy setting from the long established nat.plus.net:5082 to natproxy... has made no difference to the performance of the Siemens 475IP handset so I can't say whether it was significant in that the E71 now registers.
Thank you both for your help.
Edward
Community Veteran

I note that changing the Proxy setting from the long established nat.plus.net:5082 to natproxy... has made no difference

It shouldn't make any difference at all since if you do an nslookup they both resolve to the same host.
I'm a bit confused about your sip entries ion the 2820 though. That would be for a analogue phone connected to the 2820, but you say you have a C475IP, in that case why would you need to configure a sip entry on the 2820 , it would be configured on the C475.
Glad you've got the E71 to register though. Not sure about voip over 3g , some providers don't allow it. I've tried it from Portugal using Vodafone and although they didn't block it, the call quality was rubbish due to the latency.

comps
Dabbler

MisterW - that would be due to my not being up to professional IT knowledge.  I just configured the settings in the router because they were there to be configured.  As you say, the phone has its own configuration.
Therefore I can remove the SIP entry in the router and if I get it right about VoIP over 3G, I should be able to dispense with the C475IP as well.
Thanks again
Edward
puddy
Grafter

Hi Edward
Did you load the sip voip program for the nokia web page link I sent you?
Did you check that your phone running Belle firmware if your unsure check on the Nokia web page
Without that sip program you cannot dial any number via voip. even though the device shows its registered
misterw point on AWCDMA settings yes you do need it for the E71 to make calls over voip it not just for 3G calls.
I never make calls over the 3G network yet still needed this settings for voip calls connecting an unprotected internet wireless signal
I have setup a Nokia N8 and a Nokia C6-01 using this process
If you dont load the sip program from the Nokia website and your phone said its registered you cannot make any voip calls its a 3 stage process you have only completed 2 stages the last one is the dialer
The easy way to find out if you completed all the steps is take the sim card out of the E71 and try to make a internet call
Kind regards

Michael aka puddy
Community Veteran

MisterW - that would be due to my not being up to professional IT knowledge.  I just configured the settings in the router because they were there to be configured.  As you say, the phone has its own configuration.

@comps,Just to clarify for you, the 2820vn enables you to use voip from a normal telephone ( or even a cordless base unit ) connected to it. It does basically the same as the C475IP but I'm not sure it's quite as good at switching between PSTN and voip.  
should be able to dispense with the C475IP as well.

I'd be surprised if you get anything like the call quality of the C475 using voip over 3g ( 4g when it arraives maybe ? )