cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No connection, but only on outbound calls?

geoberni
Dabbler

No connection, but only on outbound calls?

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I can't find it anywhere.
Set the scene... Broadband phone was working fine using a soft phone. Have decided to go for a handset to release it from the PC.
Have got a Linksys/Cisco PAP2 ATA with a BT Hudson Cordless phone. The BT connector from the phone is plugged into the PAP2 with a short adapter to RJ11. (If I use an RJ11 to RJ11, then no dial tone, so the adapter appears to be satisfactory)
For incoming calls, everything works perfectly.
But for outgoing...
1 - I have a dial tone.
2 - I call out, get no ringing tone, just silence, but it rings at the other end.
3 - Other end picks up, I still have silence and other end can also hear nothing.
Any ideas as to what might be wrong? I've used all the settings I found in the forums for the PAP2 configuration.
Thanks
33 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: No connection, but only on outbound calls?

You really need Puddy to help with this , he's the PAP2 expert. I presume you've checked your settings against those in this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,70593.0.html ?
geoberni
Dabbler

Yep, got all those settings.
Thought I had a hardware problem with the connecting cable, but I've dialed into the PAP2 with **** and I can hear and access the menu OK, so I assume the cable is fine. Either there is a setting somewhere stopping it giving noise when dialing out (but not in Sad ) or the actual box has a hard fault.
It's weird!
Community Veteran

Given that on incoming calls it works, it might tend to indicate a codec negotiation problem on outgoing calls. Try experimenting with the codec settings on the PAP2. Setting the preferred code to G711a might be worth a start since that's the default that Gradwell ( who provide the PlusNet voip service ) will use in their PSTN gateway.
geoberni
Dabbler

Played with those and no joy. Been fiddling with the BT to RJ11 connections and no joy there either. Really starting to think the PAP2 is Duff. Cry
Community Veteran

It could be a faulty PAP2 but I would have thought that it wouldn't work on incoming calls either.
I'm really clutching at straws here but you might take a look at the regional settings for the PAP2 here http://www.scribd.com/doc/2283242/Linksys-Pap2-Config-for-UK-Regional-Tab
Again, I would have thought that any problems in the regional setup would affect incoming calls as well, but you never know.
TBH your problem with outgoing calls is very strange , usually with voip, outgoing calls work fine and incoming calls are the problem. Huh
geoberni
Dabbler

Looked at those thanks for linking to them. Undecided A couple of minor differences, which I tried anyway, even though they were to do with the ring settings, so still no joy. The PlusNet side is OK, since the Xlite4 worked fine. Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Just to add that I have now asked PlusNet to ask Gradwell to enable G729a for my service.  Reason being is that I tried G729a and for two attempts, I did get a ringing tone at my end when dialing out, although the call still failed to connect for speech.
According the Gradwell, G729a has to be requested if you have a low bandwidth. well my download is 2.95Mb, but my upload is only .3Mb, so does that count as a low bandwidth? I have no idea, but might be my problem. Sad
geoberni
Dabbler

General question about bandwidth (see my post immediately above), my download is 2.95Mb, but my upload is only .3Mb, so does that count as a low bandwidth?
When I try to call out, I hear a click and the very start of the ring (perhaps 1/10th second) then it cuts. I'm really convinced its a bandwidth problem, until I can develop another theory of course Undecided
Community Veteran

Your upstream synch speed will be a max of 448k usually, hence the 0.3Mb bandwidth. That isn't a problem though , voip only needs about 80kbps using a G.711 codec ( see table here for different codecs http://www.erlang.com/bandwidth.html ).
I've seen a post somewhere about just getting the start of ring on a PAP2 but I can't remember where at the mo. I'll have a look around when I get home.
itsme
Grafter

It's not a bandwidth problem.
Where did you get the PAP2 from? So using your normal landline phone if you phone the VoIP line the call is okay but if you ring the landline what happen?
geoberni
Dabbler

welcome to the problem 'itsme' Wink
PAP2 came from Amazon, not a partner, Amazon.co.uk itself.  DoM 01/2011
Calling in is perfect.
Calling out.
Dialtone - yes.
Dialing... as landline commences to ring, fraction of a click on the VOiP phone, like its about to ring, then nothing.
Landline answers, neither can hear anything.
itsme
Grafter

Have you tried the echo/latency test? To do the test dial 160
geoberni
Dabbler

Yes - nothing at all after the dial tone, just static, not even any click. Undecided
dick:quote
Community Veteran

Just a thought , you haven't got the softphone running on a PC at the same time have you ?
itsme
Grafter

Log into your account and see which devices are registered and whether any outgoing calls have been logged.