Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user-HELP!

paulemery

New user-HELP!

Ive just signed up for broadband  VOIP.
the questions I have are:
1. Was told to download XFIRE. Do I still need this if im going to go on the beta trial?
2. Will I be able to make or receive more than 1 call at the same time. ie have 2-3 phones connected.
3. If so can I transfer a call between phones-or do I need special phjones for this?
Thanks in advance for help/advice Huh
3 REPLIES
paulemery

Re: New user-HELP!

Additional info/questions-I currently have a netgear dg814 modem router. this has 4 standard ethernet ports-do I need to upgrade this modem or can I buy and adapter or phone that plugs straight in?
puddy
Grafter

not sure what xfire is sorry as for the kit to get you going for a voip, you can get a pap2-na adapter to start with on ebay for about £25.
This will plug in to a spare port on your router.  You can have 2 different accounts with this device. You can plug a normal BT phone in to the pap2(adapter needed £3 BT plug)  with the pap2 you do not need to leave your computer on to make calls just leave the router connected
puddy
Ianwild
Grafter

Quote from: paulemery

1. Was told to download XFIRE. Do I still need this if im going to go on the beta trial?

"Xfire is a freeware instant messaging service targeted at gamers, that also serves as a game server browser and has various other features" (Wikipedia).
You won't need that to use the Voip Beta trial. Who told you to download it?

2. Will I be able to make or receive more than 1 call at the same time. ie have 2-3 phones connected.

Yes and no! The product currently is only designed around one line. You can actually register more than one phone with the same extension, and provided you set it up right they will all ring when your phone number does. By the same token, you can make more than one call at once, however this hasn't been tested and it isn't supported as part of the product.
3. If so can I transfer a call between phones-or do I need special phones for this?

You would need a different broadband phone product to do that! We do plan to provide this feature after we have finished the single line trial (Which will be later in the new year).
Ian