cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to VOIP....or hoping to be

GJM

New to VOIP....or hoping to be

As the title says, hoping to get VOIP set up, from what I read the package I'm on allows 120 mins to landlines for free.
However I don't have much of a clue about whats needed and how to go about setting it up, I've tried reading a bit but getting a little lost shall we say!
I have a Netgear DG834G, also have a Voyager 2110 if that was to be better suited.
I guess it's not as simple as plugging in a standard mic and using that to make calls via software obviously using the speakers to hear?
I see talk of a plug in device enabling you to use a phone, do any of the about routers support this?
If you plugged your DECT in I guess you lose the BT calls, as in no one can contact you on the BT number.
I notice talk of having it operate via mobile, would the provider charge for this and how difficult is this to set up.
Hope someone can help me out a bit here and put me on the right track.
Thanks
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: New to VOIP....or hoping to be

I guess it's not as simple as plugging in a standard mic and using that to make calls via software obviously using the speakers to hear?

It can be , except that your need a headset rather than mic and speakers ( too much audio feedback with speakers ), and as long as you dont mind having to have your PC running to use voip.
I see talk of a plug in device enabling you to use a phone, do any of the about routers support this?

You cant plus a phone directly into either of those routers but either would be suitable for use with a softphone or additonal hardware. See this post http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,70943.0.html for more information.

you plugged your DECT in I guess you lose the BT calls, as in no one can contact you on the BT number.

Siemens do a DECT phone system witch will allow you to use it for both voip and BT landline.
I notice talk of having it operate via mobile, would the provider charge for this and how difficult is this to set up.

If your phone has wireless facilities ( like the nokia N95 for example ) and you can access a wireless network then there are no providers charges because you are not using their network to carry the voip traffic. You can ( with some providers ) use an HSDPA data connection to carry voip traffic which would then incur charges depending on your tariff. Whether it is possible to use your phone for voip ( and how easy to setup ) depends on the phone..
Shout up with further questions when you've digested that lot.
puddy
Grafter

Re: New to VOIP....or hoping to be

If you have the following Nokia E60 E61 E65 E70 N82 N95 N95-8Gb from 02 some T-Mobile and 3HG you can use them for voip calls, this will not be chargeable via your mobile phone company. You don’t even need to have the sim card in to make voip call. 
You can make voip calls as long as you can connect to any wireless internet connection   If you go abroad and want to make calls home via voip there’s no roaming charges and if your still within your free minutes the call free.  Also you can receive calls from the UK and if the caller has free minutes the call free  They just dial you as normal by dialling your UK voip number. Again you need to connect to a free unprotected wireless internet connection. Vodaphone supplied mobiles need to be unbranded which you can do at home or your local phone repair shop will do this for £10 including updating the latest sim free firmware.  Cost free if you have the above phone or £55 on eBay
I too would recommend the Siemens DECT ip phone even my partner can use the phone she won’t use any other voip equipment I have.  1 wire to BT line and 1 wire in to your router.  To make a BT call dial number press call button and release to make call.  To make a voip call dial number press and hold the call button for 3 seconds release and it makes a voip call cost £50+ extra slave handsets £30-40  you can make more than 1 call depending on how many slave handsets you have so the wife could be using a handset on BT call and the kids can make a voip call and if you have a slave handset you can make  or receive a voip call to
Or a Linksys pap2-na £15 plugs in to the back of your router connect any old BT phone with plug adapter £1.20
The speedtouch 716wl router has 4 ports wireless and adsl 2+ and  has 2 voip ports I have pick one up for 99p on eBay stay away from branded models i.e. 02 AOL Virgin media and Orange unless they have been supplied with superuser codes digidave on eBay sell the cheapest and provides 90day or 1 year warranty
If you know some else with plusnet voip service or support peering with a other voip service like sipgate the calls completely free it’s called a sip to sip call
There’s a lot of choice from free to £70
I hope this helps
Puddy