cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New VOIP user confused with Broadband Phone / Skype

Vindaloo

New VOIP user confused with Broadband Phone / Skype

Hi,
I have 2 laptops that I want to use for voice / video calls, so I can call home whilst working away without having to worry about hotel phone bills or mobile phone coverage.  I currently have them set up with 2 different Skype accounts and it all works fine.  Would there be any advantage in setting up Broadband phone with my Plusnet account?  I've been reading about SJphone and Fring and can't get clear in my head how it would all hang together, or whether there would be any advantage over the Skype to Skype setup that I have at the moment.  For example would the broadband phone usage still come out of my 15gb bandwidth allowance?
Thanks in advance for anyone who can explain this simply to me!  Wink
Regards,
Vindaloo
41 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: New VOIP user confused with Broadband Phone / Skype

Hello Vindaloo and welcome to the forum
Would there be any advantage in setting up Broadband phone with my Plusnet account?

Yes. You would get some free VOIP minutes to call to UK geographic phone numbers depending on the broadband option you have. With mine I get 240 minutes free per month.
whether there would be any advantage over the Skype to Skype setup that I have at the moment

The advantage would be as above.
For example would the broadband phone usage still come out of my 15gb bandwidth allowance?

Only if you were using your home location broadband connection.
I use both Skype and Plusnet voip when I am travelling .I use SJphone for the plusnet voip.
I also use my Skype phone for my plusnet voip calls.
I hope that helps.
puddy
Grafter

Plusnets VoIP is not Skype plusnet VoIP service is free depending on which account you have.  I also get 240 minutes free every month
Plusnet VoIP is not Skype and is not compatible.  Plusnet service allows you to pick any UK STD code and unlike some only allow 087/084 numbers which if friends/family call you does not come out of any free minutes allowance,  so they would be billed for the call.
if you have a mobile from nokia models E65 E66 E71 N81 N82 N85 N95 N95(8gb) 6300i.** can be used to make Plusnet (other  VoIP companies) and receive VoIP calls anywhere in the world that has a suitable/unsecured wireless internet signal like you use  at home!
If you go on holiday to Spain say and you can log on to a wireless internet signal with your nokia phone you can make a call back to the UK and if within in your free minutes the call would be free otherwise UK local call rate .  But if anybody rings you on your plusnet number it will ring in Spain and the caller will be charged at UK local call rate or free  and they won’t know you are in Spain.
In addition you can call me sip to sip free of charge so if you call me on my plusnet number the call will be free at all times this also works with some other VoIP companies who have an agreement with plusnet.
For home have a look at the Siemens Gigaset Dect ip cordless phones  (C450 C460 C475 other models that have ip in the model name)  They are cordless and VoIP phones in one.  You set it up near your router and BT landline socket.  You can make a call like this dial the number press the call button and release the call goes via BT but to make a free VoIP call dial the number but hold the call button for 3 seconds and the call goes VoIP.  You can buy up to 4 extra slave handsets, you can make a one BT call and the other slave handsets can make a VoIP calls at the same time.  It’s that easy to use my partner can work it!
Hope this helps you, anything you need info on or don’t understand just let us know and we will try to help?
Welcome to plusnet
Kind regards

Puddy
ps re fring and sjphone- I found it easier to use hardware phones its a lot less hassle than software based and you dont need to leave your computer on to make and receive voip calls just leave the router on 24/7 which is what it should be set to anyway
02 & 3G allow VoIP calls
**= some network providers like vodaphone orange and T-mobile don’t have the sip settings in but you can get round this by de-branding the phone and re-loading the firmware setting from Nokia web site takes about 20-30 minutes it gets rid of all the advert/logo the network provider put on your mobile but this will not unlock your mobile
puddy
Grafter

you say you travel and want to call home i have tried this if you have a voip phone say nokia mobile and can log on to a wireless internet connection and you want to call home just enter your  own voip extension number it will call home and be free of charge from anywhere in the world
puddy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what was his first comment

I have 2 laptops that I want to use for voice / video calls, so I can call home whilst working away without having to worry about hotel phone bills or mobile phone coverage.
Vindaloo

Thanks for the replies.  I think I'll be needing a new mobile phone then - I only have a Nokia 1600 at the moment which doesn't have internet access.  However, I don't think I made my question clear enough - I want to use a webcam on both laptops so that we can have a video call.  I have this working fine through Skype but wondered if there was any advantage of using the Plusnet broadband phone to do so (or if it was possible).  The assumptions are that one laptop will be at home where my Plusnet broadband is located, and the other laptop will be in a hotel and will have access to their network.  I appreciate the replies about the mobile phone though, that will definitely be useful to me.
Thanks,
Vindaloo
Community Veteran

Just stick with Skype
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
what was his first comment

and what did my reply say?  Plusnet VoIP is not Skype and is not compatible. i dont think he was aware that plusnet voip was completely different than skype
I dont mind being taken to task by a moderater and I do find your post very unhelpful
But i was trying to explain to a new user and to advise him the different things you can do with Plusnet voip service and how to make use of voip nokia phones.  It cannot be easy to setup your laptop all the time just to make a normal call (not sure how much skype out calls are?)
you can use some nokia mobiles to make skype calls
puddy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have 2 laptops that I want to use for voice / video calls, so I can call home whilst working away without having to worry about hotel phone bills or mobile phone coverage

Admitted he would have to find an internet connection, but he has definitely said he doesnt want to worry about mobile phone coverage.  And I would suggest that you find out about Skype calls.  Unless you want to go external to an outside phone, skype costs nothing
Community Veteran

Quote from: puddy
(not sure how much skype out calls are?)
puddy

Hello Puddy. Here is some information on Skype for you
Skype to Skype is free
Skype out calls (To landlines and Mobiles)  Rates here
Plans are available. Details Here
I use the Country Unlimited plan for the UK.
That gives
Inclusive calls to all UK landlines
Voicemail
Call forwarding
Online number (geographic phone number with your area code)
Skype to Go number ( allows me to make international call at skype rates from my Mobile using Plan minutes
Not bad for £1.95 per month.
Let me know if you would like more info
Merry Christmas
puddy
Grafter

he doesn’t want to worry about mobile phone coverage.

You don’t need a mobile phone signal to make voip calls on the mobile phones I listed
Puddy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Puddy why should he use a mobile phone when he has a lap top
Vindaloo

Thanks again for the info.
I'm now clear (I think  Wink) on what everything is.  I will be in a hotel room with an internet connection, and I will be able to make video calls on my laptop back home where my Plusnet broadband and second laptop are (although I have a feeling that 15Gb won't last long!) - this will be done free using Skype.  If I get a suitable mobile phone then I'll be able to link that to my broadband phone account in order to make use of my free minutes every month - I'll only be able to call another phone, this won't be any use for making the video calls between 2 laptops.  I think the confusion I had was not understanding that Skype is essentially an IM service and Plusnet Broadband phone is a VOIP service that acts like having another phone line with it's own number that can link to the same network as a BT line.
Happy new year!
Vindaloo
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that about it, you could test how far you 15 gb whilst still at home, the distance wont make any difference.  I have been lucky with connectoions away from home,  Cardigan £1 per night, as much as you want,  A Pub near Eden Cornwall no charge, Self  catering near Oban, no charge.

Travel Lodge ETC  £3 FOR NOT MUCH
Vindaloo

Travel Lodge ETC  £3 FOR NOT MUCH

I will be staying at a TravelLodge until I find somewhere to rent - they advertise WiFi for £30 per month but don't say if there is a data limit.  I was assuming and hoping that it was unlimited.
p.s. I probably sounded like a technophobe in my first post but I'm actually a computer programmer believe it or not  Smiley
Vindaloo