cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New User - Not a Happy One yet

simonsse
Dabbler

New User - Not a Happy One yet

I thought I'd try and make the new PlusNet VOIP service work, having failed two years ago with the old one using a Zyxel P2002L bought from PlusNet.  So far, not so good.
Back then I could unreliably connect, and occasionally make a call, but never succeeded in receiving incoming calls.  This time I'm further back than that.
After a bit of pratting around today with the P2002, and getting nowhere, I factory reset it, and finally got it to register with sip2.plus.net.  As reported elsewhere, its now doing that every 28s or so.
I called 123 - and got a rather ratty quality speaking clock (actually the speech is OK, but the pips have been munged - presumably by the codec).  I called 160 and got an acceptably short echo voice.
Feeling confident, I tried a couple of PSTN calls - one mobile and one fixed line.  No dice with either, engaged tones.  Then I tried calling in, and I went straight to voicemail.  So I'm not moving forward.
I am using the Zyxel behind a Netgear DG834 router (v1 hardware, v3.01.25 firmware), which I have set up to route incoming TCP & UDP traffic on ports 5060, 5082 & 3478 to the Zyxel.  The Netgear is logging traffic at ~10minute intervals to 194.165.60.134:5082, which I assume is NAT keepalive (probably not needed due to the 28s SIP registration cycle).
What more do I need to do?  I really would like to see this working, and I'm sort of certain it should - given the other stories of success.  I just haven't yet found the right set of incantations to make it so.
Any thoughts would be welcome ...
Regards,
simonsse
8 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

Re: New User - Not a Happy One yet

Hi Simon,
If you can get the speaking clock, I'm not sure of a reason why you can't dial out. I've reset your account (Which means you will have new details). Can you let me know if that makes a difference?
Ian
Ianwild
Grafter

PS - I also logged in as you and made an inbound and outbound test call from x-lite!
Ian
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I use the P2002L and I think I've tested all options.  It works very well, SIP calls are very good quality.
Can you post your settings?
Regards......Noel
scottiedog
Dabbler

Hi
I have completed testing with Noel as in last reply and my outgoing and incoming SIP calls worked every time and it was of good quality in voice TX & RX. I completed tests also with my Dad who uses a Zyxel 2002L on plusnet and these test calls also worked fine. If possible simonsse post Zyxel settings and your router settings, worth compairing now that my is working. my Zyxel box is behind a Linksys Wag200g NAT router.
Regards
Scott
Docrob
Grafter

Although I don't use the Zyxel, I had a similar problem - I could reach the clock but nothing else. Turned out to be a typo in the fromdomain entry. Fixed that and could make outgoing only. There are several posts on this forum that point to the proxy setting - I added that and it is all working now.
Hope this helps.
Rob
simonsse
Dabbler

Much happier bunny now. 
After reading the replies in the thread (thank you all), I tried again with the Zyxel in the same state as when I posted a couple of days ago.  I could make the same calls to 123 and 160, but not random PSTN calls.  So I went to my VOIP control panel, and found the changed account details - thank you Ian Wild. 
Entered those into the Zyxel, and - now with a different SIP number - I could make calls to 123, 160 and ... any old PSTN number.  Hooray.  I could also phone my (new) incoming geographic number - another great advance.
My account now seems to have two "extensions", the old one on 600abcd and a second one on 833efgh - with both of these mapping to geographic numbers in the form 020 7183 abcd (or efgh).  Ian, as the 600abcd is now redundant, perhaps it can be cleared out from my account?  It only appears in my voicemail box list and call logs (prior to 28 Dec), not on the account overview.
In my few hours of experience I have noted several quirks about the service - some of which are probably generic to VOIP, but here goes.

o When calling PSTN to PSTN (on a normal home analogue POTS line), if the callee hangs up during a call, the call remains on hold for a while, before eventually dropping.  This allows the callee to transfer between phones. 
If you do this on a PSTN to SIP call (via the Zyxel P2002L), the call is held inside the Zyxel, and you don't get it back if you hang up then pick up again.  Nuisance rather than show stopper - its just different to what I'm used to.

o If the SIP phone is in use, a second caller into it does not get engaged tone - they get ringing.  On the Zyxel you can set the incoming call to go to one, other, or both of two POTS ports.  When set to "both", that second call rings on the idle port, but if there is no phone, there is no ringing. 
If set to "one" (or "other"), and that phone is off hook, I would have expected an engaged tone.  Maybe I can control that some where in the advanced settings?

o On the trial voip web control panel, under My Directory, the column headings "Number", "Name" and "Display" don't line up with columns they refer to.

o When accessing voicemail on the SIP phone using *1, I find that the welcome message "You have <n> messages" is sometimes clipped at its leading edge ".. ave <n> messages",  or even ".. messages".  The VM server is being given a go to talk signal before the voice route is fully established.

o In voicemail, option 0 to set mailbox options, a male voice offers greetings recordings on 1, 2 and 3, or change password on 4.  But when I go to 4, a female voice offers recording a temporary greeting.

o  I have not yet worked out how the message waiting indicator (MWI) is meant to function.  What functionality is the system meant to offer?  The Zyxel offers beeps when you go off hook for MWI - if your provider has the relevant SIP messaging.  I sometimes get them, and sometimes not; and its not always consistent with the Zyxels Advanced setting for MWI enable.

o Speaking clock sometimes starts off with "Please Hold", until the beginning of a complete time announcement.  Maybe it should just jump into the tail of the previous time announcement.  Also the clock sometime stutters at the start of a message, presumably as its buffer fills.

o I have ~£9 of credit on the "old" voip system - which I will never use.  Can I transfer that to this system?

o I am on a product called Broadband Phone 120 - which may be an old offering, because I don't immediately see details of that in the old or new voip pages.  I assume this is 120 minutes per month of evening and weekend calls to 01/02 numbers included in the cost of my broadband subscription.

BUT overall it works, all I need now is to persuade my talkative children to use the VOIP line so that I can still have a means to phone in at coming home time.
Will continue to evaluate and will provide feedback on anything that seems notable.

SimonSSE
RichSmol
Grafter

Quote from: simonsse

My account now seems to have two "extensions", the old one on 600abcd and a second one on 833efgh - with both of these mapping to geographic numbers in the form 020 7183 abcd (or efgh).  Ian, as the 600abcd is now redundant, perhaps it can be cleared out from my account?

Done - redundant extension now removed

o If the SIP phone is in use, a second caller into it does not get engaged tone - they get ringing.  On the Zyxel you can set the incoming call to go to one, other, or both of two POTS ports.  When set to "both", that second call rings on the idle port, but if there is no phone, there is no ringing. 
If set to "one" (or "other"), and that phone is off hook, I would have expected an engaged tone.  Maybe I can control that some where in the advanced settings?

Im pretty sure you can control this somewhere on your device - better to post in a separate thread. The single line account type you have (as does everyone else) does allow a maximum of 2 concurrent calls meaning that you can put one call on hold and answer another. We do have some plans to do a lot more with the 'presense' side of things which will allow more adaptability when multiple devices are connected to an account and more control over which devices ring/redirect when your on another call. At the moment this will be tied into your hardware configs.

o On the trial voip web control panel, under My Directory, the column headings "Number", "Name" and "Display" don't line up with columns they refer to.

We will be doing a 'cosmetic' clean up once we get to towards the end of the trial to ensure that all content is in sync with our existing Broadband Phone control panel (adding the best bits and removing other parts).

o When accessing voicemail on the SIP phone using *1, I find that the welcome message "You have <n> messages" is sometimes clipped at its leading edge ".. ave <n> messages",  or even ".. messages".  The VM server is being given a go to talk signal before the voice route is fully established.

Noted for future reference - we have not had any other reports of this and i am unable to replicate it.

o In voicemail, option 0 to set mailbox options, a male voice offers greetings recordings on 1, 2 and 3, or change password on 4.  But when I go to 4, a female voice offers recording a temporary greeting.

Cheers - Passed this one to Gradwell as a cosmetic change.

o  I have not yet worked out how the message waiting indicator (MWI) is meant to function.  What functionality is the system meant to offer?  The Zyxel offers beeps when you go off hook for MWI - if your provider has the relevant SIP messaging.  I sometimes get them, and sometimes not; and its not always consistent with the Zyxels Advanced setting for MWI enable.

As im not familiar with the kit being used here I cant possibly comment - might be an idea for a separate thread again to find out what settings are required (tick box somewhere I woud've thought) but my best guess is that the kit is not 100% reliable in this area.

o I have ~£9 of credit on the "old" voip system - which I will never use.  Can I transfer that to this system?

Not at the moment - we are trying to keep both services running separately at the moment. All credit/voicemails/0845 number (if needed as an essential) will be moved to your Gradwell account should we wish to move the trial to a full product.

o I am on a product called Broadband Phone 120 - which may be an old offering, because I don't immediately see details of that in the old or new voip pages.  I assume this is 120 minutes per month of evening and weekend calls to 01/02 numbers included in the cost of my broadband subscription.

This package is included in your Broadband subscription hence why you cannot see it on the sales pages, it allows 120 anytime minutes to 01/02 numbers.
Hope the above information helps - sorry i couldnt be more helpful on the hardware settings side of things!
simonsse
Dabbler

Rich,
Thanks for the info on my queries - at some point I may have a further play with the settings, but as I have achieved my aim of getting the VOIP line to work, I am basically happy.  Thanks PlusNet, and I look forward to just getting on and using it.
SimonSSE