cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router

gavster
Dabbler

New Router

Hi all, I need to buy a new router and I want one with VOIP ports so I can utilize the free minutes.
I don't want to make calls from my computer using xlite etc but rather have it independent from any computer, basically replace my current BT phone.
Is there any on the market where I could use the Plusnet settings?
Cheers
8 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: New Router

Any router that supports the SIP protocol can be used.
Often recomended by one of our members is the Speedtouch 716 that can be bought second on eBay from a seller here - though I don't have any experience of either router or seller.
There are also a couple on broadbandbuyer here
Have you considered buying a non VoIP router and getting separate hardware such as the Siemens Gigaset range?
Will Moderate For Thanks
gavster
Dabbler

I will look into the Siemans route, cheers.
I want one tomorrow so will have a look in pcworld etc for sip routers.
Thanks

TBH I don't think you'll have much joy in PC World
Will Moderate For Thanks

Also not all gigaset phones are VoIP - for example non of the ones argos sell are.
Will Moderate For Thanks
itsme
Grafter

I can recommend the Speedtouch 716 from Digidave. I only had mine for 3 days but on the broadband side it has maintained my ADSL2+ connection for 2 days without any error seconds or disconnects which is unusual compared with my Netgem modem. It's also has more tones available so waiting for the DLM to give me a higher sync rate. But on the ADSL2+ trial that's a different story which I will not go into here.
On the VoIP the only complaint is that the ForcedFXO option had to be done by CLI, other than that it's a good bit of kit for £8.98 including postage.
puddy
Grafter

I use a speedtouch 716wl  its
wireless
4 ports
adsl2+
2 voip ports
wpa/wpa2
all for 99p plus p&p from digidave I have brought 6 from him  I had my old one for 3 years now
The routers have a ssid and wpa/wpa2 password printed on the bottom of the device and it unique for that router only so no having to remember passwords
Puddy
gavster
Dabbler

Hi all, well I took the advice and bought the Speedtouch 716WL and as above got it for 99p, bargain!
Puddy, have you managed to get voip working? if so, how? What settings did you put in the configure and expert configure page?
puddy
Grafter

Sorry not logged in for a while I have put the speedtouch settings on the thompson  link you posted
puddy