cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple users

Dippy
Dabbler

Multiple users

I have just set up VOIP with ZOIPER and it seems to work OK. I have installed the client on two PCs so far. Should I be doing something to differentiate between users? - I am a bit confused about 'extensions'. I am assuming if someone in our family is using VOIP then it prevents anyone else doing so, rather like a normal phone. Is this true?
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 31

Re: Multiple users

Hi Dippy,
According to this you'd need a separate SIP account for each machine: http://www.zoiper.com/downloads/Zoiper_Communicator_Manual.pdf
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Hi dippy, welcome to the forums.
Should I be doing something to differentiate between users? - I am a bit confused about 'extensions'.

Your voip account only provides for one 'extension' and it defines your connection and phone number on the voip server.
I am assuming if someone in our family is using VOIP then it prevents anyone else doing so, rather like a normal phone. Is this true?

You can connect multiple client's using the same account details, when an incoming call occurs all the connected clients will ring and the first to answer will get the call. You however can make up to 2 simultaneous outgoing calls from different clients. What I'm not sure about, because I've never tried it, is whether you can make an outgoing call, whilst another client is handling an incoming call, although I believe it should work.
What you can also do is to call your voip extension from one client and have the other client answer it, although your own client may also indicate an incoming call, just don't answer it!. Maybe that doesn't sound very useful, BUT if you are away from home you can connect a client ( say on a laptop ) and call home for free. I use it often when away on business, most hotels these days provide free wifi and I can just connect up my netbook and call home.
Dippy
Dabbler

Thanks for the answers. I am still confused by what 'extension' refers to in the Plusnet 'broadband phone control panel'. In 'account overview' I have my PSTN number. which is obvious, but I also have an 'extension' number which shares some of the digits of my PSTN. When I click on the extension it gives me configuration options and I can see a call flow which shows my PSTN connected to my extension. Now I have noticed that this extension number is also referred to as my SIP ID and I use it as my username. So am I correct in assuming that it is simply the SW account associated with VOIP line?
However there appear to be two other numbers, which also share the same common digits, in the voicemail options. How can I use these (do I need to)?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

So am I correct in assuming that it is simply the SW account associated with VOIP line?

basically, yes.
Hopefully a simplified overview,
If you imagine the voip server as a big PABX , your extension number is the means by which it routes incoming calls and charges ( if needed ) for outgoing ones. As you say its also your sip id, since your connection to the voip PABX is not permanent, it needs to identify you when you register (connect ) with it. Your PSTN number is associated with your extension by the voip server and is used when calls are made/received by the PABX to/from the PSTN network.
However there appear to be two other numbers, which also share the same common digits, in the voicemail options.How can I use these (do I need to)?

No you don't. I think in the past ( maybe still is? ) it was possible for a fee, to have a second extension on a voip account. In this case I believe it was possible to route voicemail to either extension.
Edit: Yes it looks like it still is possible , see here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,74943.48.html